Grand Hotel Beatrix
The Baron Crown(Huisduinen)
All reviewsbusiness tripthird floorindoor poolbeatrixlighthousesaunaseadesign
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights last week while having to conduct business in Den Helder. It's a nice hotel located right behind a dike so only being a few meters away from the sea. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are good (nothing more, nothing less). You will have to lock the door manually each time going in and out of the room since it doesn't lock itself. TV reception in the room was good and clean, the beds are comfortable, the internet connection was so poor that it was not usable. The breakfast is very minimal and doesn't get restocked, so if you're planning on sleeping a bit late (in other words eat breakfast on or after 8 AM, expect even less). There's a really nasty petrolium smell when you enter the restaurant which right-a-way makes sure your hunger is gone.

The hotel does have a small swimming pool and squash tracks. It is within walking distance to a lighthouse which you can visit during certain times. The hotel seemed to be impossible to reach by public transport. A taxi ride from the central train station in Den Helder to this hotel costs about 20 euro one way.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I reached the town of Den Helder already late at night, was participating in a Press Tour and visit the Naval Base and Shipyard in Den Helder. Fast and efficient service, cozy hotel, next to the lighthouse that marks the entrance to the shipping channel. Luxury with simplicity, good bed, bedroom correct and well equipped. TV, high-resolution, standard bathroom, I found just the low ceiling in the hallway, but I have one meter and ninety-four inches tall, so it always happens ... We left the morning meeting with the beautiful lobby of the hotel .......

Room Tip: room clean, well lit, easy to use lamps, high-resolution TV, wardrobe as usually found in hotels of this level, comfortable furniture, mini-bar quite correct. Standard bathroom, and great mix of toiletries for the guest ....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed recently for one night on a business trip; it's the recommended hotel for our work at the nearby den Helder airport.

The hotel itself is lovely - potentially a little dated in decor for some tastes, but that's purely cosmetic. I note a couple of points from earlier reviews, and could concur - the light switches do seem a bit illogical, so that takes some time to work out; and there's no welcome pack in the room. However, when the receptionist is as helpful as she was, there's little need for a pack!

Hotel is a little out of town so not much choice for eating & drinking in walking distance; and being on my own my colleagues recommended I just stay in the hotel for dinner. However, that turned out to be the best choice - the restaurant was absolutely fantastic. If I'm honest, not at all what I'd have expected based on the decor and style of the rest of the hotel. Staff were great, as was the menu selections - the food was more than great!

Tip - make sure you've got cash on you. The taxis didn't take cards, and a trip from the airport to the hotel was 20-odd Euro each way. Having said that, when wiped out of cash and asking for the nearest cash machine, the receptionist helpfully offered a "cash back" facility the next morning when I settled my bill.

If there's a downside, it is as others mention - the stairs. In a way, it's obvious now looking at the photos of the exterior. My room was on the first floor - took the elevator up one floor from reception, but I swear I must have gone down at least two-floors worth of (steep) steps. For most folk, there's not so many steps as to be a real problem - more of an inconvenience, particularly with baggage. (I took my bags with me to breakfast, so I left from there - rather than make the trip back to the room after breakfast again). For the less agile, and particularly those with real mobility issues, check with the hotel before booking to request accessible rooms.

Room Tip: If you've any mobility / fitness / agility issues, please phone in advance to check out room availability and location ....... although there is an elevator, there are few rooms actually on the same level as the elevator, so there is still a requirement to go down (and back up) several flights on each floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed for four days in the Hotel on a business trip, while I was working in the port of Den Helder close by. The hotel is classic dutch, a bit dark, carpets and so on. It's just a few metres away from the Dijk and the North Sea, as I was there in the european holiday season it was busy with tourists both on and off bicycles. Room and bed are excellent, I had a room to the back, which I don't mind on working trips. WLAN was excellent all over the place and free, the breakfast was ecellent as well. I went to the restaurant one evening and found the prices a bit hefty, but the service was very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Beatrix during a recent stay in Den Helder as this hotel was the best rated of the region.

The hotel itself is ok, although everything looks a little old and more worn than one would expect from a 4* hotel. Although the hotel is on the seaside, it's peculiar architecture does that only a handful of the rooms actually have a straight sea view. The breakfast, included in the room rate, was of limited variety but tasted good.

The staff was very nice and friendly. It also positively impressed me by taking the spontaneously put a wine bottle (which I had brought from France and left in the minibar) in a bucket of ice so that it would be ready for my return to the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends