All reviews dining room overlooking the lake bulb fields golden tulip public transport leger holidays nice location helpful staff nice room bath surprise fletcher gripe potential lift edge
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were impressed with the size of the room and the beautiful view of the harbor from our narrow balcony on the first floor. Besides the queen size bed there was a sitting area for 4 to 5 persons. The room was clean and in excellent condition. However, there were a few disappointments which we did not expect from a hotel with this rating. Since our luggage was lost when we arrived in Amsterdam, we didn't have all of the basic toiletries with us. To our surprise, there was no shampoo, lotions etc in the bathroom. When we thought to call down to the front desk to request these items we discovered that we didn't have a telephone in the room either. We walked down to the desk only to be told that they did not offer any toiletries in the room and that we needed to go out and buy them. Needless to say that this left us with a slightly acid taste in our mouth. Would we stay here again? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: Look for a "superior" room with a view of the lake on the first or second floor. Try to get one with a telephone, just in case. And, don't forget to bring your own toiletries.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have visited a few times now with family and luckily have had rooms overlooking the water. It is such a pity with our timing as it has always been outside summer when this place is at it's peak. The area is a mecca for boating enthusiasts and I imagine a wonderful watery world in summer. We have family in Baarn and the location is not too far from there and also Amsterdam.
The rooms are very large with excellent beds although dated in appearance and with minimum equipment. Make sure your room has coffee making facilities as only 1 of the 2 rooms we used had this available.
We find it an affordable and convenient hotel in a pleasant waterside location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here for a 2 day conference. Lunch was decent, buffet style. Two days more or less the same though. Hotel room is well spacious and got all you need. Plenty of room for 2 people. Restaurant is on the water with overview of lake. In morning great outlook which give you spacious feeling. Visited in February and was good. Must be excellent in the summer when you can actually enjoy the terrasses and water!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ElwinArens
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is small and well maintained. Very nice design and in a fabulous location.

The room (122) was spacious and very clean. The bed was the most wonderfully comfortable mattress with very good quality linen. A shame the air con not very controllable. One note - a warning - if you smoke and step out on balcony, do not close the door as it automatically locks!

Restaurant closes at 10pm, which is strange considering the majority of guests are on vacation at the time of my stay and many were hoping to eat late. Service is polite but slow.

Value is quite good, but I really don't understand the charge for parking - having it separate from the room charge seems petty.

Overall - would I stay again? Yes.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Mike D
Reviewed July 12, 2012

For once I was a few hours early and the check-in was very businesslike during which I was told to come back at check-in time (15:00hrs). I guess it all comes down to the person who is at the reception desk, one going the extra mile, while another is not. I thus spend a few hours in their restaurant, for a long lunch (obviously paid for). That has a nice view over the water and certainly during the summer is a true asset. Food was not spectacular but simply good with enough variance. For dinner it is wise to book a table as it might be complete.

The room proved to be spacious but basic and had free Internet access (which should be a service at every hotel!). The room interior is from the 70’s/80’s and, although all still functions and looks proper, it would be good to start replacing the furniture and carpet. The TV therefore is a small square box on which one would not enjoy to look at a movie anymore. The beds were nice, something which does not need a change.

Rates are in general attractive. It had a parking view, so, for those who want to enjoy the surroundings as well as view, a lake-view room should be booked. During my last stay, a couple of years ago, I had that room for the same price, so one has to be lucky (I guess). After my 1st night in the hotel I noticed a sign saying that one can get an upgrade for an additional EUR20; nobody had told me that at the front desk!
As for star-rating, 4 stars seems to be generous but 3 stars might be too little.

Checkout was quick and correct; one just does not need to forget to ask for a coin to be able to leave the parking in front of the hotel (which one receives at the front desk as courtesy when one spend EUR20+ in the restaurant).

When one likes boating and enjoy bike rides around the lake(s), a great location; when one has a business meeting in the Amsterdam/Utrecht area and enjoy the afternoon in nature, the perfect location. For only business it might be somewhat less exiting and out of the way.
As it is just in between a few business locations I need to visit, it is at the right place for me; I therefore would return.

Room Tip: lakeside is nicer but might be at extra expense
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business