“Charming hotel”

Parkhotel Valkenburg
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Valkenburg
Reviewed December 5, 2009

I stay here because a convention I attend takes place here. The location is quite good with the restaurant giving excellent views of the town. The breakfast selection and the room is quite nice. There is also a terrace outside with seating. Rooms are dated but with high ceilings and with charm and character. I got excellent room rates but this was because of group rates for the convention. The staff was very helpful as when the modem on my laptop refused to work, they let me use their reception computer for internet.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed January 16, 2009

This is by far and away the weirdest hotel I have ever stayed in. Don't let that put you off, but don't expect a lot for what you could pay to stay here.

I went with my wife and two kids in December to see the Christmas Markets and Valkenburg itself. Think we paid around E400 for two nights in a family room.

Good points - The hotel is within walking distance of Valkenburg centre, 5 mins max. The reception area was very nice but the staff on reception were okay but not overly friendly. The room we had was big to say the least, the kids had bunk beds and a single the other two rooms had two single beds. The room was spotless, plenty of toiletries, loads of nice clean towels.. The swimming pool and spa is very nice and obviously recently renovated. Good buffet breakfast in the massive dining hall.

Bad points - The hotel itself is in desperate need of renovation, as per the previous reviews it is very dated. I think that one floor has been done but I cannot confirm this. The facilities in our room were poor, tele out of the 70's, broken remote, no sky channels, no lock on bathroom door, no shower curtain at all (it wasn't missing it had just never been there), no tea or coffee making facilities. Staff in the bar, which is tiny, were grumpy and un friendly. The snack menu is all in dutch, when I asked the barman what the food was he said, "junk food sir."!!! Anyway I ordered something and it was very nice...porkballs. I would expect that the food in the restaurant on a night is nice but we didn't eat there.

All in all this hotel reminds me of a cross between The Overlook Hotel (from The Shining) and Fawlty Towers!!!!! It's just a really strange place after staying in the likes of a Radisson or Marriott this place will feel really different to you. I looked at a lot of hotels in Valkenburg and this was one of the best I could find.

I would stay here again because it's right next to Valkenburg centre and Valkenburg at Christmas time is magical. You won't find a better place in Europe at Christmas. The markets in the cave are fantastic, and Maastricht Christmas market (ten mins drive away) is excellent.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ned L
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is an old hotel in an old city, so remember that. It could use a coat of paint and new carpeting. The bathrooms are small, but clean and functional.
Despite that, we found it to be charming. Lots of character in the furnishings and common areas. Plus, it's in a great location -- within walking distance to the village's pubs, restaurants and shops. The spa facilites of this hotel look recently rennovated. The indoor pool is beautiful and the spa services (sauna, steam baths, etc) were nice. The food here was extremely good. We had both breakfasts and dinners and enjoyed them. THe service was somewhat slow, but that may be because, as Americans, we're used to fast service.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Stayed there for one night while visiting Valkenburg. I've been in many hotels, and i somehow feel this one was the less nice i've been to so far. Its not really terrible or anything. It just looked so old and needing for redecoration that it almost felt like the wallpaper would come off the walls any moment, although it didn't i must say. The room was small, so was the bathroom. Just felt like having something more for the money. Its not deadly to stay over there or something, and its quite ok location for going into town.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jules_verne_1980
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I stayed in the Parkhotel Rooding last week. The hotel has a new extension with modern gym and swimming pool facilities, but the main part of the hotel does not appear to have been refurbished since the 1970s. Good points: very good, attentive and helpful staff, nice decor if you like old hotels as opposed to the modern see-one-see-them-all types, lovely open air terrace on 3rd floor with nice view. Bad points: old rooms, no tea/coffee facilities in rooms, not great lighting in rooms, heating (which I had turned off) pipes can be noisy at night. The best thing about the hotel was the helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank Nom_de_screen
A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
Reviewed November 14, 2004

I have spend one day in this hotel and it looks very nice. New refurbished rooms are fine (although they can be a bit small). The beds are to small but that could be because I'm used to a 2m wide 2.2m long bed. Nice views, especially when you have a room with balkony. The breakfast was ok and the reception is very helpfull. Most of the other hotels I have visited in Valkenburg are horrible. Go for at least 4 stars.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
West Albany NY and Cocoa Beach FL
Reviewed April 23, 2003

We made our first trip to Europe in the last week of April 2002 for our Anniversary with PRISM Tours! Our stay at your gracious inn was truly a high spot of our long lives. We hope to do it again really soon! Heartiest thanks and greeting from the P C MORGAN Tribe of Upstate New York! Diolch yn fawr!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member