“Romantic Getaway”

Chateau St. Gerlach
Ranked #1 of 46 Hotels in Valkenburg
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have stayed at Chateau St Gerlach around Christmas and the property was really nicely decorated. There is a gourmet restaurant in the main building where we had dinner, also a beautiful SPA with a sauna and a steambath as well as a large indoor pool. Our room was in a secondary building, it had a little terrace looking out on the fields. room and bathroom well equipped, Breakfast buffet in a glasshouse with large choice of local specialities. Pleasent stay, very helpful staff.
Owner must have a very big ego because he puts his name on almost every product you see including the cheap China-made shampoos.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,786)

Reviewed March 15, 2014

very romantic chateau right outside of Maastricht. Main building contains the excellent restaurant where we had dinner, professional and nice service. There is also the SPA with a large indoor pool, sauna and steambath, A MUST!
our room was in a separate building with a small terrace with view on the surrounding fields. Room was large well equipped with good bedding. Good size bathrooms with unfortunately cheap China-made toiletries. The owner seems to have a very big ego because he puts his name on almost every item you can find in the room. Breakfast was really good served in a glasshouse

1  Thank RudyMB
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We experienced a fabulous weekend in this romantic and luxurious chateau in the far most southern point in The Netherlands.
The castle gardens and drive way provide a warm welcome to a fabulous place to expreience the summum of relaxation.
The chateau has hotel rooms, and ppartment suites for families,w hich are very spacious, very lxurious and equiped with all necessary features to make the stay a success.
From the chateau we visited Maastricht city (which is about 10 minutes driving) where we had a great time shopping and experiencing the cozy historical city and area along the riverside.
In the chateau we visited the spa and wellness center... great fun for both kids and adults.
In the evening we went dinning in the supurb restaurant, and I can highly recommend to all future visitors the 5 course meal plus varied wine selection which is especially selected to fit the different courses.
I believe that there are also plenty of opportunities for walking / biking in the nearby forrest... something which we might try another time.
Looking back on the weekend it was a fabulous experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank YuriB_74
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear YuriB_74,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to note down your remarks and we appreciate the effort you made and we are happy to read that you had a fabulous time at Château St. Gerlach with your family. Nice to read you enjoyed the Spa, the restaurant and the environment.

I hope that we may welcome you and your family again on our estate in the near future.

Kathleen Savelkoul, Guest Relations

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for a weekend in one of St Gerlach's hotel apartments. We had 2 separate bedrooms each with its own bathroom plus a very pleasant living are with even a small kitchen. Great when you travel with a small group of friends and want to have a place where you can meet comfortably. The hotel facilities are great, we had dinner one evening in the restaurant and 1 evening in the bistrot, and spent a lot of time walking around, as well as enjoying the warm swimming pool and sauna. To be repeated!

Room Tip: Do go for a hotelappartment!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nossim
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This Christmas holiday, I decided to take a suite at this hotel. Check-in was pleasant enough and efficient. No help though finding the room, which was located in a separate building and no help with luggage. The space was fine, but certainly not worthy of being called a suite. I had ordered flowers to be placed in the room ahead of time, but to my surprise there were not in any way related a to a Christmas theme. Christmas Eve dinner followed in the restaurant. I rated it 4 out of 10. At first sight, the ambiance was wonderful, good decor, pleasant service. The food was indifferent though: I cannot understand how the Gault Millau guide (otherwise quite reliable) rated this place as highly as it did. Moreover, the many children in the restaurant were running amok and rather created the atmosphere of a kindergarten than a proper fine dining room. We also made use of the spa. Again, 3 out of 10 for the experience. Just not the refined ambiance one would expect with a Relais & Chateaux property. At €350 per night excl breakfast and the Christmas Eve dinner at >€100 pp, the value equation was not there. All in all, very disappointing and it should not be very difficult to fix!

1  Thank arthurlsbastings
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Bastings,

We would like to thank you for your stay in Château St. Gerlach during the Christmas Holidays and your review at Tripadvisor.
We strive to make each and every guest our ambassador when leaving our estate. Unfortunately we have not accomplished this during this stay.
I have already send you a message by e-mail to discuss your remarks.

I hope that we may welcome you again on our estate in the near future.

Kathleen Savelkoul, Guest relations

Reviewed November 15, 2013

On a ten-day business trip to Europe, I took a weekend break and stayed one night with my adult son at Chateau St Gerlach. We shared a junior suite advertised as having "great views". It turned out to be a dark, virtually windowless, dusty, cramped room in the attic with great views of the wooden timbers indeed.
The five-course dinner we had in the main restaurant was of good, but for its category not exceptional quality. Hotel and restaurant services were adequate and friendly.
Overall a not so great price-quality ratio experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JFJM
ChateauStGerlach, Guest Relations at Chateau St. Gerlach, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear JFJM,

We already have approached you by email to discuss the mentioned issues.

Kathleen Savelkoul, Guest Relations

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed in Chatrau St. Gerlach for 4 nights for business meetings. This was my third time in the hotel.
The hotel is not business friendly at all. Rooms are very dark, which makes it very difficult to work. My room had no wifi reception, I had to go to the lobby to download my emails.
Room service was terrible. One day I found an open big bottle of water in my room. On the same day one of my colleagues found half a sandwich in his room also.
The worst thing was that I forgot my coat in the room when I checked out. I called the hotel on the same night, but they said they didn't find it. I am 100% sure that I left it on the chair in the room. I am very surprised that it wasn't found.
One last thing, there are no air conditions in the rooms. This time it was fine because we were in November, but last time I was there in August and it was hot. There was a small fan in the room which I found it to be funny.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business