“Thumping music till 2.30 am”
Review of Le Bistro

Le Bistro
Ranked #7 of 27 Valkenburg B&B and Inns
London
“Thumping music till 2.30 am”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I booked through bookings.com and nowhere on their website or that of the hotel itself does it warn potential customers that this is the nightlife capital of southern Holland and that this establishment is in the middle of the main street. (The wesite is only in Dutch although the owners are bi lingual)
We had a reasonably good dinner in the downstairs restaurant then I went up to my double glazed room about 9.30. By this time the music from surrounding establishments had not reached maximum volume but already the bass was causing the room to vibrate. The thought of sleep was impossible so I left and paid for another room in a quiet part of town at an additional cost of E75. My two colleagues who also had rooms here decided to stick it out. They said that the music got significantly louder and stopped around 2.30am. After that they were kept awake by groups of revellers for at least another hour. At 7am the local cleaning squad appeared which also woke them up.
Therefore if you want to come for a long night out and then collapse into bed at 3am this might suit but if you actually want to sleep don't bother.
The only reason I have not given it a 'terrible' rating is that the staff we met were charming and helpful and the rooms were clean. But on our floor there was only one shower and one toilet for five double rooms. Some superficial modernising of the rooms has been done but the rooms are small and the access stairs ar steep and narrow. The one shower on the first floor does not work.
I really believe that the owners should not be trying to flog rooms to the unsuspecting public in this location or at the very least offer them an alternative if, like us, we had no idea of the location. The charming member of staff I spoke to assured me that I would hear nothing through the double glazing - I suspect he doesn't live and has never tried to sleep on the premises.
We were there on a Saturday night which is obviously the busiest and noisiest night of the week. I don't know what other nights would be like.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back might be a bit quieter.