“Great food with home atmosphere!”

Bistro De Pimpernel
Reserve with
Bistro De Pimpernel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 110 Restaurants in Hoofddorp
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bistro De Pimpernel opened its doors back in 1985. Over the years, the restaurant has grown into a true concept in Hoofddorp and the surrounding area, under the careful management of Raymond and Tanja Ruijg. The bistro is an informal French specialities restaurant with a menu which changes with the seasons. The restaurant also boasts a very extensive wine list. De Pimpernel is open every day from 17.00 pm except Sundays.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Eating at the Pimpernel with owners Tanja and Raymond is always pleasant. For us is like eating with family and we enjoy the choices from the french oriented menu. Do no forget to take the house aperitif nor the smoked eel. Enjoy!!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Two colleagues and I ate at De Pimpernel last week while traveling for business. We had a fantastic meal and overall enjoyable experience. We were met at the door by owner Raymond who graciously took out coats and seated us. All meals being with bread which includes a homemade truffle spread that was excellent. I ate the Grandmothers Special and my colleagues had the duck and a string steak that was slow cooked for 20 hours. My colleague stated it was one of the best steaks he has ever eaten. The pace of our dinner was especially enjoyable. Raymond and his wife Tanja wait the tables personally and have a knack for not rushing you but always knowing when you are ready for the next course. The Grandmothers Special is something that I normally would not order but glad that I did. It is comprised of filet medallions served in a cream tomato sauce. We also received complimentary fries with dinner. Fried or Frites as the Dutch calls them is a staple in Holland. Yes, and they truly do serve fries with mayonaisse. Odd for Americans but tasty nonetheless. Once the appetizers and main course was finished I opted for a glass of Drambuie rather than dessert as I was comfortably full. De Pimpernel is within walking distance of both the Crown Plaza and Holiday Inn Express in Hoopddorf. It is also a 20-25 minute walk from the Hoofddorp train station if you aren't staying in Hoofddorp. I hope you get a change to try this hidden gem as I have. Bon appetit.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I found De Pimpernel on Tripadvisor while staying at Schipol airport. It is about a 20 Euro taxi ride one way.

I entered and was greeted by the owner who treated me as if I was an old friend! I ordered a drink and received some small appetizers. I ordered the Grandmothers entree which he said was a family recipe. It was awesome! I was in Finland, England, and Scotland during the week and this was by far, the best meal I had all week! The owner graciously called a special cab and I was treated to a ride back to the airport in a 4 door Porsche!

Highly recommend! The only drawback is the 40 Euro round trip cab fare from the Sheraton at Schipol.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were staying about 30 minutes walk away near the airport but decided to visit on 5/5/12 having read good reviews. Our walk was not in vain. The host was charming and the food was excellent. Well presented and served. My husband ordered a starter of smoked eel, something I had never tried, and I tasted some and found it most enjoyable. We were not disappointed by anything we ordered. It is just a perfect little restaurant with a beautiful ambience and lovely flower arrangements. but nothing detracts from the food. Our host even ordered a taxi to take us back to our hotel. We are from the UK and often eat a Michelin star restaurants and this restaurant is certainly worthy of a Michelin star.

1  Thank JMB50
Reviewed April 16, 2012

When we first encountered The Pimpernel, we weren't sure whether to enter. The modest facade does not hint that behind the door is a beautifully warm and inviting ambiance. We found a welcoming and gracious host, flowers so magnificent that we had to examine them to determine whether they were real (they are), fine wines, and food we could only hope to get in our best mid-west U.S. restaurants. This is dining!
Since first discovering this gem, we return each time we are in Hoofddorp. We often visit The Pimpernel twice during a five day stay in town.
Keep in mind that European dining is relaxed and not rushed. If you expect to get in and out within an hour like we do in the U.S., you might think that service is slow in any European restaurant. If you're in a hurry, you'll have to say so since rushing the guests is bad form in fine European restaurants.
Prices are what we expect for a fine dining. The experience is worth the price plus a gratuity for our hosts.