“Hotel does the job”

Bastion Hotel Schiphol Hoofddorp
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel knowing that it wasn't close to the city center. The hotel has a shuttle that runs to the Schipol Airport every 30 or 45 mins, it seemed to alternate. From the airport you can catch the train or a bus into the city center. From the hotel to the airport to downtown (via train) took about an hour. The hotel isn't fancy at all, but it is clean. I don't think the elevator has a full bed. We asked for it, but got 2 singles, that we were able to push together. Wasn't a big deal for us. There is no elevator but there are only 2 floors. The free wifi didn't work at all in our room, we were on the second floor. The front desk only informed us that if it was working downstairs it should work everywhere - and that wasn't the case. One time I actually sat in the hallway outside my door to connect and it worked fine. The walls are pretty thin, but the doors are heavy. One morning there was a tour group leaving out early and we heard about 20 doors slamming while we were trying to stay sleep. There is a computer in the lobby for customer use with internet. We had one meal at the restaurant which was okay, but expensive, so we mostly ate while we were out. There is free parking, which is a plus. I only recommend this hotel for people who have a car and are okay with using the shuttle to the airport to catch transportation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 19, 2010

I suppose to be staying at Best Western near NH hotel but when i got there I was told no my room was booked at Best Western Bastion hotel... Waited for 45mins to get bus shutle to get to this place which is in the middle of no where... No Iron available, check the mini bar prices, 12inch TV screen in the room. No accessories in the bathroom... And I have to stay here for 6 days lucky me NOT...
So my advice, don't stay here what ever happens
and suggestion to Best Western to look into and make it clear the names of the 2 places...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank sajidr786
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Amsterdam is far from the hotel. The hotel is far from the airport. The aim of the people working in the hotel is to work as less as possible. The room is very basic and wifi internet weak. Just stay away from this hotel unless you have your flight cancelled and need a place to sleep and cannot find anything else.

2  Thank Karlz977
Reviewed May 20, 2010

If you have to stay at this sort of hotel it is OK. But it is certainly not a destination in itself. It is set up to be an airport overnight hotel - that, even though it is by no means the closest hotel to the airport I suspect it does OK.
But
The bar is very limited
The food is totally basic
The reception and bar staff seem to be running an empire, in which you the guest are a necessary evil (but they are working on a plan to get rid of the guests and keeping their jobs :) )
A colleague was woken at 2:30am as a delivery lorry reversed into the hotel and then proceeded to unload
... I think I knew what I was in for as soon as the receptionist made me pay for the room, (even though it was a corporate booking) on check in

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank awoods
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I was there several times, in the middle of knowwhere. Without car is impossible to do something. No gym, no swimming pool or sauna. The rooms are acceptable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank giasone80
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed June 3, 2009

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed here for one night on business in Oct 2008.

Good points: the hotel was clean, bathrooms were too.

Bad points: nobody to check us in when we arrived (it was late at night, about 23.00 hrs). There was one girl who was waitress / bar attendant / receptionist. She was quite friendly, but told us that it was one of her first few days in this certain hotel, she had been moved from another one. We asked a few questions, she wasn't able to help us with some of them.

We had trouble getting food at that time of night, we hadn't had anything to eat and were hungry!. In the end, she did provide us with a plate of fried Dutch specialities.

The door on my room didn't close properly, you really had to pull it strongly to close it!. The rooms were small and very average. The bathroom was small and I didn't like the shower tray, with shower curtain... Water went everywhere!.

I have no idea of how much this hotel costs, but I'm guessing that you get what you pay for. As I say, it was a business trip, not a tourism trip, the booking of this hotel was all handled by the company that I work for.

The rooms have twin beds in them, we had booked two singles so this was a bonus (extra room). There is a nice flat screen TV in the room.

Breakfast was okay, nothing special. From 06.00 - 09.00 hrs. Usual food: cereal, fruit salad, coffee, tea, orange juice, toast, bread, etc. Some cooked dishes: eggs, etc.

I probably would stay here again, but only because it is quite near to the airport. I wouldn't stay here if it was a tourism vacation. There is a free shuttle bus to and from the airport.

Oh... we did have terrible trouble with getting a taxi from Shiphol airport to the hotel. They didn't want to take us, they said that it was too near to the airport (they had been waiting for clients for over 2 hrs), and that we had to get the shuttle bus. It was raining, it was dark, we had no idea of where this bus was... We said that we wanted a taxi, we even said that we would pay them extra if need be. In the end, they charged us 45 Euros for the journey from the airport to the hotel. I would say that if it at night-time, it is wise to get a taxi (we also had heavy luggage with us), if not, then get the bus.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Daniella B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Airport
Best Western Amsterdam Airport Hotel
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol

Been to Bastion Hotel Schiphol Hoofddorp? Share your experiences!