“A gem close to Amsterdam”

Courtyard Amsterdam Airport
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
GreenLeadersSilver level
Muscat, Oman
“A gem close to Amsterdam”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

While the hotel is a bit away from Amsterdam, it is a good option if one wants to see Amsterdam as well as the nearby places. The surrounding is amazingly green. The hotel as a water body/ beach, recreation area within its vicinity. The rooms was very spacious, ideal if you are travelling with the family. Our room had two large beds to take care of four people. There is a small shop in the lobby where you can buy food on the go which is really helpful. The staff was knowledgeable and very helpful.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor which will help you appreciate the beautiful surrounding area.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Very nice Courtyard by Marriott. Some distance from the airport (full half hour on the shuttle). My experience with shuttles in the US has always been free, so was surprised at 5 euro fee. Very nice breakfast, but not cheap. It is next to a park with walking/biking trails. Setting very nice. If you want to be away from the jet noise but close to the airport the Courtyard is a good choice. Lago Bistro next door has good (not great) pizza.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The biggest asset of this hotel is its nice location, sitting at the edge of a recreational area. It's just perfect for outdoors!

Unfortunatly this is a summer's asset, during winter time the hotel becomes as average an hotel as there could be. Rooms are nice but heating a mess (only a/c and rather loud).

The biggest cons are the restaurant and the (not existing) friendliness of the staff: If your stay falls on a sunday don't expect to get dinner, the restaurant will be closed, the adjacent restaurant at the sportsclub likewise and next open dinner place will be out of walking range for sure.
Breakfast is limited, what's gone is gone and if you dare asking for some replacement the staff will regard you as an offender.
I would suggest to hire some people from out of the country for the restaurant as well as the reception as this would definitly enhance service mentality!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank globusat
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Globusat,

Thank you very much for your feedback via tripadvisor.
We appreciate every feedback receiving.

I have forward your comments with regards to the A/C towards our maintenance, they will check what happened, we have not received this complain so far. so I am sorry for that.
It dissapoints me to read that the service provided wasn't up to the standard we are expecting to give to all our guests.

I have forward your comments to the responisble managers and I will promise improvements.

Jordy Smit
Front office manager
FO
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This hotel is located in a beautiful location but it is 15-20 minutes from the airport by hotel provided shuttle. During the morning and from 1800-2399 the shuttle runs every 30 minutes but between noon and 1800 the shuttle runs from 60-90 minute intervals. If you want to ride back to the airport to be a tourist they charge 5 Euros per passenger even though the bus is going anyway and is empty. You have to look hard to find the place where they say there is a fee for transport to the train or bus station (I could understand it if they set up a separate shuttle but not their scheduled runs!!!

The hotel is 12 years old and needs renovation which, apparently, is planned. The room was quite comfortable, however

We ate at the bar/restaurant. We asked for tap water but our server said she could not do that and tried to sell us bottled water.

When I checked in (I am a Gold member with Marriott) I received a letter from the GM apologizing for not having a free continental breakfast but offering a free NY times International. They provided a website and instructed me to follow the directions; I did and it didn't provide instructions. I asked the desk agent to please arrange to have the paper for me I the AM; it DID NOT happen. I did receive an apology from the desk agent this AM when I checked out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bridgewater NJ USA
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We needed a hotel for the day before our cruise out of Amsterdam. We found this hotel on line mostly because of the value compared to downtown Amsterdam. You can catch this shuttle right outside the airport by the signage for hotel shuttles. It is about 12 miles away from the airport in a grassy, park atmosphere because the hotel is part of a park and entertainment and conference complex. the room was great and there were 3 of us, so we had plenty of room for all of us. The shuttle runs to the airport, but be sure to make an appointment/ reservation, esp on the weekdays. We arrived at the hotel, dropped our bags and caught the next shuttle to the airport from which we took the train to Central Station and were in downtown Amsterdam in no time. My husband is a Marriott Elite member so there was no charge for the shuttle Don't know how it works for just being a guest. We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food although there was a little restaurant and a bar and a little place to buy snacks, etc, in the lobby. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful even finding a translation for magpie for us. The hotel is adjacent to a park and a lake all just a few steps off the hotel pathway. We took a long walk to stretch our tired legs and to start the next day, so it has a very bucolic feel before you go to the city. The shuttle was able to handle all of our cruise luggage and got us to the airport where we started our adventure. The 12 mile drive takes about 10 or so minutes so it's not a real inconvenience. Not sure if I would stay if I had meetings, etc.,in downtown Amsterdam, but it was great for a pre or post stay from a European adventure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank giftedelaine
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This Marriott Courtyard is situated in a rural area with wonderful walking paths and excellent accommodations. The rooms are large and clean with comfortable bedding. After spending a day in central Amsterdam it is so refreshing to return to a lovely hotel surrounded by grass and trees with little noise and traffic. The staff is very friendly. The restaurant has excellent food. we found the trip into Amsterdam by train easy and interesting.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, General Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2014
Dear sir/madam,

Thank you very much for the comment on the tripadvisor website.

It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as this is the reason why we come to work every day.

Hoping to be able to welcome you again in our hotel soon.

Martijn Beekhuis
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Unlike the Airport Sheraton and Hilton which were within the airport itself, this hotel was a distance from the airport and hard to navigate to at night (signage could be improved). A bit misleading to call it an airport hotel. While my colleagues staying in those other hotels could walk to airport meetings and the terminal, we needed transport.

On check-in, there was nobody available for approx 15 mins while the seemingly only staff spoke at length on the phone behind the counter.

The price was a bit expensive in comparison to other AMS hotels.

As a Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere member, I was upgraded to a very nice room with a jacuzzi and balcony. Instructions for the jacuzzi would have helped, since I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. I called downstairs and was promised they would send someone. After around 15 mins and before anyone arrived, I finally figured it out myself.

Shuttle bus driver was friendly and breakfast was very good, but not included in the price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jim M
AmsterdamCourtyardGM, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Amsterdam Airport, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Jim,

Thank you for sharing your stay with the tripadvisor followers.
I am sorry to read that your stay wasn't satisfying.

With regards to the signage, unfortunately we can not change this as for the government in Holland we are not autorized to do this.

I would like to adres my apologies for the fact that there was nobody available directly for you during the check in proces, I will check with my associates how to improve this.
I have forwarded your comment with regards to the jacuzzi to our maintanace, thank you for sharing this !

Thank you for sharing your stay Mr. Jim.

Jordy Smit
Front office manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Been to Courtyard Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!