WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Lower end of the 4 star banner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed here for the one night in flight transition. The place gives off the feeling of a luxury hotel when entering the lobby but just does not quite match up in quite a few areas. I upgraded to an executive room which was of reasonable size but the decor was slightly reminiscent of the late 50s being darker than my personal taste. The bed was very comfortable with differing pillow comfort of soft through firm. Desk space was good but the wireless internet was woefully inadequate for standard mails and internet browsing. There was the possibility of purchasing more bandwidth but having paid 50 euros for a room upgrade I expected the internet to be free regardless of which service I selected. Breakfast was served in a nice restaurant setting but nothing out of the ordinary was on offer although the quality was good. Although I may have sounded a little negative it is worth a visit to try out.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CrownePlazaHoofddorp, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Philip C.,
Thank you very much for writing a review as we use the reviews to improve our service.
With regards to the internet, I would like to inform you that we continue to evaluate it and make improvements where possible.
Thank you for expressing your experience at our hotel.

Martijn Fritsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Turkish first
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I like the hotel, good breakfast, lovely sleep well kit, excellent option to express check out, before the queues were very long. Only thing to improve are pillows, 4 pillows to choose from, but they are all the same, no smaller option.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear kkk460,
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our hotel.
During your next stay you could contact our reception and they can provide you with a pillow menu. We do offer different choices in pillowsize and firmness.
Again many thanks for you review.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

IHG is garbage, it is ridiculous as a Platinum member that you are not given breakfast and access to the club lounge anymore at this hotel, while a few months ago you were given access to them. But hey you get free internet, Woopedy doo....

What's the point of even having status with IHG, do yourself a favor and join SPG or Marriott

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear JonesR02,

We really appreciate that you are a loyal guest, and therefore a Platinum Priority Club Member of our hotel.
Please let me explain why these changes in benefits are inevitable.

At first, as you maybe already are aware of, we are enhancing and renaming our loyalty programme to IHG Rewards Club since the first of July 2013. Benefits in all Crowne Plaza hotels should be similar and we can not longer offer use of the Club Lounge for free. A new world wide benefit will be the free high speed internet for Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members. Instead of per the first of July we are offering this per the first of May 2013.

At second our hotel has seen some recent changes such as upgrading our Club floor and Club Lounge to provide exclusive items to our guests staying on the 4th floor. With this we have seen a drastic uplift and high demand of the Club floor rooms. Therefore these rooms and Club Lounge access are unfortunately less available for complimentary upgrades.

At third it is our fullest intention to maintain and fulfill all loyalty member benefits and advantages wherever possible. There might be some other advantages you enjoy more besides free upgrade to a Club room and use of the Club Lounge. The new great promo of IHG to thank all our members for their loyalty and give the opportunity to use the high speed internet complimentary and reserve a Club room and access to the Club Lounge at a discounted rate of €25.

Again, I would wish to offer you my sincere apologies for the discomfort this new situation will cause you and we would like to welcome you again as a guest in our hotel in the future.

With kind regards,
Cross Roads, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night during a layover from Copenhagen back to the US. It was a very nice hotel. The front desk was very friendly and got me checked in very quickly. I had a room on the first floor (actually the 2nd, but they said it was the first). The free internet was a joke. It was so slow I could have handwritten the page before it would appear.

Setting a wake up call on the phone was very difficult. The instructions didnt match what was on the phone, so I called to the front desk. They set the wake up call for me.

The next morning I woke up a tad earlier than I expected, so technically I missed my wake up call since I was already in the shower. I was very impressed, someone from the front desk came up to my room and knocked on the door to check on me since I had technically missed the call....That is customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jman1076
Dear jman1076,
Thank you for your kind words regarding the service you received from our team members. We pride ourselves on superior customer service and I am glad to see that these team members went above and beyond to make your stay more comfortable.
Thank you for expressing your experience at our hotel.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Hello everyone,
te Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol hotel is very nice, with big rooms and a fine restaurant insied. I've there for a business trip so I also used the meeting rooms with the break service. Everything was ok. The hotel has also a free shuttle that goes directly to the airport.
Reccomended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ale7012
Dear Ale7012,
Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay.
My team and I would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in the future.
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend for my partners birthday. We got the free shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel which was on time. It comes every 30 mins and was easy to find (in airport follow signs for hotel shuttle, then it's on the signs). First impressions of the hotel were brill. Lovely looking and the staff at reception were extremely friendly and helpful!! Hotel is far from the centre but it's easy to get to. The train station is literally a 5 minute walk down the road and they come every half an hour. However, we waited an hour for the train and it didn't turn up. So we had to get a train to schipol airport then one to the centre. Was the same amount of time. Return to the centre was 9.20 euro each which is ok. Be warned, do not miss the last train!!! We has to pay 50euros for a taxi to the hotel!! Overall loved our stay and the hotel is defo a place to stay if you don't mind the train!

Just one downside, when we arrived we were informed that we needed to leave a 50 euro deposit per night? We were not told this when booking so this came as a shock really. I gave them my card details do them to take it from my bank then redeposit it on check out. I still have no received the money back but I'm unsure with how long it will take so that may not be the hotels fault

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sophie N,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam-Schiphol.
Like other hotels we do ask for a deposit per night. This should be communicated with you upon making the reservation. I do apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused you.
We hope to welcome you again in the future as a guest in our hotel.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel is just a few minutes away from Schipol Airport in Hoofdorp. The rates are reasonable, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is close to Hoofdorp Train Station should you want to venture into Centraal or other neighborhoods. The workout facility was small, but had sufficient equipment for a decent workout, plus trail maps are provided that prefer to go outside and run. The pool and spa are also nice additions.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and had a very wide selection of traditional selections, plus full English and/or American breakfast for those a bit hungrier.

My only complaint was the complimentary Internet connection. To say that it was slow would be a gross understatement. The logon page stated the connection speed would be limited to 192Kbps, but I am fairly certain there was a decimal point missing -- should have been 19.2Kbps!!

There are other connection speeds available that are faster, but you will need to pay for those unless you are an IHG Gold or Platinum member. I was finally able to work around the limitation by using Skype Internet which used the premium service speed but at a much cheaper rate.

That issue aside, I was very happy with the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JR_SFO
Dear JR_SFO,
We appreciate you left a review regarding our property.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Martijn Fritsen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Been to Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol? Share your experiences!