“OK place if your plans don't include sleeping” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol

Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Hoofddorp
Springfield, Missouri
“OK place if your plans don't include sleeping”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed one night with an early flight the next morning. Staff was efficient and courteous and breakfast was standard, but fine. Room was clean so all that was acceptable. Here is the "but". But, sleeping on the bed was like reclining in a large bowl and closing your eyes hoping for a miracle. The bed was just awful and during the night both my wife and I could literally feel ourselves slide to the middle. We had a long and fitful night and greeted the morning sun quite tired. Why this hotel does not invest in adequate bedding is a mystery but until they do they will continue to receive horrible reviews.

• 4 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Marcus m,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you had with the quality of our beds and deeply regret that this has negatively impacted yuour visit. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the Manager on Duty.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Alton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I think that there is now a pretty high standard that you can expect from the Holiday Inn brand; you know that the rooms are going to be of a good standard, and that there will be reasonable facilities. This Holiday Inn Express certainly reflects those standards, and the staff were excellent, very friendly and very professional.
It is a little far out from the city, and a 10 minute bus ride from the airport.
The only negative comment I have is that the hotel offers a free bus shuttle from the airport, but charges for the same service from the airport to the hotel, but other than that, it does exactly what you expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is not located near very much. It's about a 10-15 min walk to the train station. It's about a 10-15 min walk to a near by restaurant. The hotel was very clean and had a helpful staff. Huge shower with great water pressure. If you want A/C you have to constantly call the front desk to keep turning it on because it doesn't stay on for long by itself. It offers a European breakfast which basically consist of sandwiches, yogurt and cereal. My big fault with this hotel is the beds. The beds need to be replaced. They sag badly to the middle as soon as you lay on it. You can't help but to fall in to the center of the bed. If 2 people sleep in the bed then you will constantly be laying on each other the whole nite. Then to get out of the bed you have to pull yourself out of the dip in the bed.it makes for a very restless uncomfortable night of sleep.

• 5 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Polishedfingers,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Nick and Brandon and the crew do a great job in welcoming you to their property.

While the rooms are very European (namely small), the beds are comfortable, the showers have enough hot water, the internet connection is fast and breakfast is comprehensive for an included offering. I also like the fact that a lot of it is portable enough to take-away for the time-strapped.

They have transportation options to deal with their seemingly remote status away from downtown. The shuttles they have will get you wherever you need to. While they do not have an evening meal, most local places deliver and they will take you to local places.

Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel for an exihibition in RAI Amsterdam. Its a 15min drive to the event location by car. There are a few restaurants in walking distance, as there is only a bar in the hotel. The hotel has clean and light rooms, good for a few nights. The breakfast is above the expected standard.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night. The hotel is only two years old and still looks very new. We had a comfortable room, which was clean and a reasonably sized shower room, which was also very clean. A buffet breakfast was included, which offered a good selection of food. A minibus shuttle service collects you from the airport and transfers you free of charge to the hotel but the return journey costs €7.50 per person but we considered it to be the return fare, as the hotel is approximately 2 miles from the terminal building.

1 Thank LSC22
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

First off, the needle that broke the camels back! At breakfast, there were no clean spoons, and the front desk clerk was asked to find the missing clean up person, who turned out to be Brandon. His duties are to keep the yogurt cups, silverware, bread, Filled up. There is NOTHING to cook, as the breakfast provided is very, very spartan.

She returned to me and told me there were plastic spoons, (very small, designed for ice cream or coffee maybe), but that clean ones would arrive shortly. Time 10:00. The breakfast is 'supposed' to be served until 10:30...oh yes, there were two yogurt cups left,..no pastries, 1 slice of cheese, no ham, 6 cucumber slices...this was the worst breakfast I have encountered in Europe, Africa, or the Middle East!

At 10:10, I thought maybe Brandon had forgotten my spoon, as he still had not shown his face in the dining area. I stuck my head in the kitchen and asked where the spoons were, at which time he told me..'there are plenty of plastic spoons'. At this point, as he was standing next to a bin FULL of dirty spoons, I told him ' just give me a dirty one, I can go to my room and wash it myself.'

I was quite surprised when Brandon did exactly that! Oh yes, he brought out clean spoons, plates, etc, at 10:23. And yes, I do watch time. I am a business man and it amazes me the people that are allowed to work around the public.

The beds in this hotel are all wore out also. I had my wife on this trip, and when we both got in bed, we rolled to the middle. We tried 2 other rooms, and all were the same. The normal default for the climate control is HEAT, with it 70 outside, no windows that will open, they have the heat on. BTW, the management was nice, and tried to accommodate us by switching our room, turning our room climate to 'cool ' but this was a twice a day occurrence.

When I tried to contact IHG, the company that owns Holiday Inn's, I received a reply that 'due to heavier than normal email traffic' it might take 2-3 weeks to receive a reply back! If I owned a company, I would be ashamed to have to admit that my complaint department was swamped with emails. I would fire someone. This indicates not just a local problem, but a systemic problem with this BRAND.

• 2 of 5 stars
GM_HI_Express_AMSAS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear azhiker54,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide every guest with an extraordinary stay and we sincerely apologize we did not deliver on your recent stay.

I will be reaching out to you directly in hopes of reaffirming your faith in our hotel and brand.

Warm regards,

Floor Hilhorst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoofddorp
Hampton by Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam-Schiphol? Share your experiences!