“Nice hotel, but staff can do better”

Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Leidschendam-Den Haag
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leidschendam
Antwerp, Belgium
“Nice hotel, but staff can do better”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel itself is very nice - located just outside the city center of The Hague, but still easily accessible with public transportation. The parking is free and the hotel is just next to the little pond, so you can get a room with a balcony and nice view.

The room was quite big and super clean. I loved two armchairs next to the window - very comfy. Two things were quite unhandy though: lights were all turned on by 1 switch and if you wanted only one or two of them on you had to really work it out; other thing - no possibility to charge your cell/tablet/whatever in proximity of your bed. I really liked the balcony with two chairs and table, it was also possible to smoke there.

Now what I did not like was the reception team. I made a reservation on-line so they had all the info. Still I was given room without balcony first, and when I get down to change the room I had strong impression that I am interrupting them and that they wanted to get rid of me as soon as possible. I was not offered a city map, nor was I asked if I need any more info or something. I noticed later that they were hosting a party that weekend, but it is not an excuse. Anyway, I got correct room in the end, but I felt so unwelcome that I didn't dare to ask them about public transport, city map, or what was worth visiting in The Hague.
Breakfast staff was much nicer, very attentive and polite, but also almost without the smile.

Summing up, I had a very nice stay once I decided not to give a damn about moods of the reception team.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with balcony and pond view, it is super nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chagall_Hotels, Manager at Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Leidschendam-Den Haag, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear ofkacz,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are continuously using the feedback of our guests to improve our hotel, therefore we are happy with your review.
I am sorry that our service did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure Den Haag Leidschendam, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest, we should have handled it differently and I will discuss immediately this wit the reception team.
We hope to welcome you again in the furture.

Hotelmanager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed overnight at this hotel during our visit to the Dutch bulbfields. We were very impressed with the hotel. The breakfast was amazing, and we particularly enjoyed the dutch pancakes! The staff were very friendly, particularly the blond lady serving at breakfast, and made us feel very very welcome.

We booked the keukenhof package and the tickets were all ready waiting for us when we arrived at the hotel, and it was all very seemless.

If you are using the satnav to find the hotel our sat nav took us to a nearby carpark instead of the hotel, so it may be better to print a map out.

It was a lovely stay and we shall be returning next year on our annual trip to the bulb fields.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil K
Dear Neil K,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay in the hotel. I will forward your compliments regarding the friendliness and high standard of service to my team.

Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Very nice breakfast. The rooms and the hotel need some updating - paint, carpet, etc. Looks a little run down. The air conditioning in the room also did not work properly. Enjoyed the stay though and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Chagall_Hotels, General Manager at Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Leidschendam-Den Haag, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear George S,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

We are constantly updating and renovating our product including the furnishment and painting, we will share your comments in our next meeting.
Regarding the airconditioning, we are happy to fix these problems during your stay with us. If you let the reception staff know we will take care of it immediately.

We hope to welcome you back at our hotel

Tervuren, Belgium
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I arrived here late at night for just one night.
Welcome greeting was standard.
Room was ok but you could see the hotel needs some refurbishment.
Breakfast was ok, great staff
Average hotel. You won' be disappointed but after just having stayed in a Ritz hotel, this was a trip back to normal life....
Not cheap by the way.
Ample parking space for free.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank degtravel
Wolfsberg, Austria
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a really nice hotel and was a very nice surprise. I arrived to a very friendly welcome. Check-in was efficient and took only a few minutes.
The hotel is nicely laid out and has a good feel about it. My room on the 4th floor was clean, well organised and contained a double bed, flat screen tv with BBC1/2 and Channel 5 from the UK amongst the list. Two lounger chairs, a mini-bar, kettle for coffee/tea and glass doors onto the balcony overlooking the lake were also nice features. The bathroom was modern and contained a bath/shower.
I tried the restaurant at the hotel and it was excellent. The food was perfectly cooked. The breakfast area is served on a buffet basis and contains a large range of cold/hot food. Coffee/Tea is served by the waiters/waitresses and had a tendency to be slow at times.
Whilst at the Mercure I tried the gym, but I actually found it very disappointing. There is just one cross-trainer, one bicycle, one running machine and one weights machine. Its a very small room. It's an odd arrangement, because the changing room is not used and its as big again as the gym. I think my score for the hotel would have been a 5 if this had been better.
Overall though, I recommend this hotel if you are in the area. Its very nicely situated next to a lake. There is a shopping centre right next door as well as a good selection of restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank ajt_austria
Texas_reader
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. There are many nice things about this hotel, but the best reason for staying here is the staff. They really are very friendly and helpful. Kristiaan, the Front Office Manager, was especially helpful and always asked if he could do anything for me. I had a beautiful view of the lake and park, so every morning and evening I could see the birds on the water and the people walking their dogs. The daily breakfast is really extravagant, with many choices, including smoked salmon and creme fraiche. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Texas_reader
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leidschendam
The Student Hotel The Hague
Ibis Den Haag City Centre
#11 of 67 in The Hague
Voorhout
easyHotel Den Haag City Centre

Been to Fletcher Hotel-Restaurant Leidschendam-Den Haag? Share your experiences!