“Reasonable price, nice room, 1 problem”

Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Badhoevedorp
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Herbergh and were pleased with the quality of room and politeness of staff. The price was reasonable. The bed was comfortable, a good size private bathroom. Good access to power outlets, hair dryer and coffee/tea/hot chocolate provided in room.

My only serious disappointment was the "free shuttle service." At the airport, I asked about the shuttle service and no one had ever heard of the Hotel Herbergh. One shuttle driver told me to try the Hotel Novotel shuttle because it was close to the street address I showed him. The Novotel shuttle driver told me I was on the wrong shuttle and removed my bags from the shuttle, telling me "I don't go there, I know the street, but I don't know the number and I don't know the Hotel. It is not my problem, it is your problem." Then a passenger on the his shuttle said he knew the Herbergh and it was not far from the Novotel. We got back on the Novotel shuttle. When the shuttle turned the corner to the Novotel, the kind passenger showed us where the Herbergh was located. It was difficult to walk with five bags for the two of us, but we made it to the Hotel. The wheels on one of our suitcases broke from being pulled with another bag on top of it across the rough cobblestones.

My complaints:
No instructions about which shuttle to take, and
We were not informed we had to walk a few hundred meters with bags to get to the hotel.
I was not told about how to connect to the Internet and had to come back down to reception to get instructions for access to Internet. Every other hotel we stayed at in Europe gave us information with username & password when we checked in, and for several there was information about access in the Hotel Information booklet in the room (not at the Herbergh).

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are convenient
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan M
rene s, Manager at Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for staying in our hotel and writing a review. We are very sorry to hear that you had so much trouble finding the Novotel/Accor hotel shuttle. The day you made your reservation, the 4th of March we also mailed you a welcome letter with instructions on how to find the Novotel shuttle together with a timetable. We can imagine if you did not read this letter/instructions it is not automatically clear that our hotelguests can take the Novotel shuttle bus. As we are a small family owned hotel we are very pleased to offer our hotelguests the luxury of a free hotel shuttle. You stated you walked a long way. But the Novotel is our neighbour hotel and is no more than a hundred meters walk! Sorry to hear your suitcase broke carrying 5 bags. Concerning the internet; our hotel does not have a password. We know travelling is complecated anyway so we want our guests not to be troubled by long passwords. There is information on every roomdesk with this info. As you also had a phone in your room we would have been pleased to answer you by phone so you did not have to come to the reception after all.

Thank you for your compliments regarding our rooms and staff. We are pleased to read that you found our rates reasonable. We hope you will read all the information you are send by hotels in the future so you will not have to search a long time for shuttle busses etc.

We hope to welcome you again in the (near) future.

Kind Regards,

Hotel de Herbergh

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked this hotel expecting it to be like any other airport hotel, functional & impersonal but was very pleasantly surprised.The staff were extremely friendly & obliging, the room was nicely furnished & spotlessly clean. Food in the pizza restaurant - excellent ! I would definitely stay again & can recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arthur H
rene s, Owner at Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write a review about your experiences in our family owned airport hotel. It is very nice to read that allthough you expected an impersonnel airport hotel we exceded your expectations. Our hotel offers comfortable real clean rooms and 2 excellent restaurants and a free airport shuttle. We are pleased to hear our team made the difference for you. We try to select our staff to be genuin friendly and do not train it...as real hospitality can not be trained. Thank you for choosing our hotel and we hope to welcome you again in the (near) future. Kind regards, Anke Somsen

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really did not want to go to a big impersonal hotel. I chose this hotel because it looked Dutch and I knew it would make me feel like I was in Holland. I was not disappointed. It is well located, only 15 minutes drive from the airport, by a free hotel shuttle bus which drops you over the road from the hotel. There is a supermarket within 5 minutes walking distance. The extra bonus is that there are two excellent resaurants, one French and one Italian, situated within the hotel and making a booking for a meal did not seem to be a poblem. Very convenient and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground or first floor as they go not have a lift and the stairs are very st...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
rene s, Owner at Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear guest, thank you for staying in our hotel and writing a review about your experiences. We are very pleased to read you enjoyed staying with us and that our hotel and both restaurants met your expectations. Thank you and we hope to welcome you again in the (near) future.
Kind regards, Anke Somsen

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My experience:
1) I arrived late at night, expecting someone would open the door, but there was only a sign for me to call a number to get the room key. Make sure you carry a working phone, else you will be stranded in the cold - I was lucky the taxi driver stopped back for me and called the number.
2) The room was minimal, and small. My biggest problem was the road noise - I could hardly sleep.
3) The breakfast is OK - nothing much to write home about. I have had better at the NH Schipol.
4) Note that you have to walk about 200 yards to catch the airport shuttle.

Yes, the service was courteous, but I would not stay again at this hotel. It is by no means a bargain.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GM13_10
rene s, Owner at Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are very sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations. As we are a small hotel we do not have night reception but have a nightporter on site who can give the room key, in case of check in after midnight. There is a phonenumber to call for safety reasons, but in case you do not have a working phone the key can be received at the well pointed door just around the corner of the enterance. At the confirmation you also could read that check in is untill 23 hrs if later please call or notify us so you will be given instructions. I would recommed you strongly to read all confirmations you receive from hotels as we use this to inform our guests. We have rooms at the road side and back of the hotel. In case you need an extra quiet room please ask for a room at the back side of the hotel in case of a future visit. We serve a full american breakfast, fresh and good quality for Euro 14.50 p.p. or offered included in the roomrate depending on your choice of roomrate. We are pleased to read that you experienced our team to be corteous. To meet friendly staff is very imported to guests from all over the world also in a budget/bargain hotel. We do hope you will visit us again in the future and are able to check in earlier in the evening so you also have the opportunity to have dinner in one of our restaurants. If you contact us directly we will make sure you get a room on the back side and a good bargain with free breakfast.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had to make an unscheduled stop in Amsterdam overnight on 14th Feb 2013 due to a flight cancellation. Booked at short notice and arrived at about 8pm. The staff were helpful, courteous and showed us to our comfortable ground floor room which was spotless and well equipped. We booked into the restaurant with no problem, and were offered their special menu for Valentine's Day or the usual menu. We chose the special menu and were not disappointed! Not only was the food imaginative and well prepared, but beautifully presented. The hotel has a good shuttle bus service to connect it to Schipol Airport (look for the one going to the Novotel, it's a couple of minutes walk from the Herbergh). Would recommend this hotel as an excellent stopover.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write a review about your unexpected stay in the Herbergh Hotel Amsterdam Airport. Good to read that we could make your canceled flight at least at bit more pleasant. We will compliment our chef on your behalf for your dinner experiences in our Brasserie La Bouche. We are very pleased to read you recommend our hotel. We hope to welcome you again in the (near) future. Kind regards, Anke Somsen

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Was exactly what I was looking for .
Good price and free parking with free Internet. I rented a car and all other hotel around the airport/area I would have to pay for the parking. That makes a big difference for me.
Good and clean room.
Breakfast; here is the only negative about it. I thought it was included when I made the reservation via this site. It was not, and it is on the pricey side, but still good quality breakfast.
If you come without a car there is the bus from the nearby Novotel and going to downtown Amsterdam is not that difficult as there is a bus nearby (about 10 min. walk) that takes you direct to the Leidseplein in heart Amsterdam.
Also there are two restaurants annexed to the hotel.
Can’t complain, definitely would recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrazPilot

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write about your positive experiences in our hotel. in case we travel ourselves we do not appreciate paying for WiFi, parking or airport shuttles. So we offer this all for free to all our guests. Good to read you appreciated the breakfast quality. We offer a full american breakfastbuffet for Euro 14.50 p.p. Compared to the quality we offer and other airport hotels our price fair but Iagree that it is no bargain. Therefore we do offer a lot of roomrates including breakfast on several booking sites. You experienced to travel to the Amsterdam citycentre as convenient. The busstop is a short walk (10 min) and the bus takes 25 min to get to the city center. But in case you do not need to be in town we do have 2 restaurants on site (Italian and french..) We hope to welcome you again in the (near) future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We needed a hotel near the airport due to our late flight arrival. Room was very comfortable. Coffee & Tea utilities in the room were very useful for our late arrival and early departure next morning. This hotel accomplished all we needed for this short family night, it is not easy to find a room for 4, and this quadruple room was good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank marta p

Dear guest, thank you for taking time to write a review on your stay in the Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport. We are very pleased to read that the quadruple room was at your needs. Unfortunately we have only one 4 person room so this room is very popular for families traveling. Our goal is to make our guests to feel at home therefore we offer coffee/thee maker in the room allthough we are a 3 star hotel. We hope to welcome you again in the (near) future.
Kind regards, Anke & Rene Somsen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Badhoevedorp
Ramada Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport
#128 of 375 in Amsterdam
Novotel Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
citizenM Schiphol Airport

Been to Hotel Herbergh Amsterdam Airport? Share your experiences!