“Excellent Small Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Noordwijk
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Excellent Small Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in early May, ‘14. It was an excellent base for viewing the annual flower parade and for visiting the fabulous Keukenhof Gardens.

The Honingshof is a small, compact and modern hotel that is well-designed to make efficient use of space. Although it is located a short 10-minute walk from the center of Noordwijk this had several advantages. First, ample parking is available in a large lot in front of the hotel and is included in the price. Second, it was quiet and peaceful. Finally, it was convenient to the shore, hiking trails, and to the surrounding tulip fields.

Our room (#8) was on the top floor (American 3rd), up some steep stairs that might be a challenge for some people (no lift). The room was small but adequate size and very nicely designed with lots of light. There was a small balcony that looked out over a residential area. We had a comfortable bed, armoire with a small safe, a desk, a small table & chairs, two night stands, and a flat-screen t.v. The decor was modern and attractive. The tiled bathroom was small but adequate with shower only.

The breakfast was very good, served in a pleasant restaurant area on the ground floor. It included eggs, meat and cheese, orange juice, apples, bread and jam, very good coffee, two kinds of home-made yogurt, and an assortment of cereals.

The staff was uniformly helpful and pleasant. The young man at the front desk gave us good recommendations on visiting the Keukenhof Gardens and on going into Amsterdam via the Park and Ride system, as well as a good spot to view the flower parade. Wifi was included and worked very well.

The Koningshof is a very attractive alternative to the large resort hotels in town and we don’t hesitate to recommend it, with the proviso that it might not be suitable for physically challenged guests.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NaMakani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
plymouth, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

This B&B is delightful. It's located at the end of Noordwijk Aan Zee, by a big car park by the sand dunes. It is very peaceful and we were never disturbed by car noises (our room was at the back of the house, so only heard the birds chipping!). The B&B is very white and clean. Our room (number 15) is located on the ground level, which has balcony doors opening onto a courtyard. This seems to be exclusive to us (although I know it's for everyone) but we haven't seen anyone use it. It's a sun trap with comfortable chairs and table. Inside the room, there is a separate shower and toilet rooms on either side of the entrance with a privacy screen before you enter the main room. The quality finish to the room is high end with beautiful attention to detail.Shower room is very large and a nice shower, the toilet room is spacious with high quality units. The beds are lovely!! I'm guessing memory foam perhaps?? Really nice. My friend and I were visiting so wanted two single beds, we ended up with one double bed but with two mattresses and separate duvets, we were quite close, never come across this before though it didn't bother us! The room has a TV, mirror, hair dryer, lots of plug sockets, safe, fridge/mini bar, luggage stand, desk, 2 chairs, radiator, 2 bedside tables, wardrobe and side lights. The staff are extremely friendly and speak in various languages it seems. They are more than eager to help and the reception desk provides a handy map to cycle the area.
Breakfast is continental. You are served tea/coffee of your choice with an orange juice. You help yourself to cereals, toast, breads, cold meats and cheese and a hard boiled egg. It's quite satisfying and delicious. Although the bedroom we had did not come with it's own tea/ coffee facilities, we had full access to complimentary refreshments (but check the list as some items are billed up at the end of your visit i.e. snacks and mini bar). There is bike hire if you need it - we used it for 1 day, at a cost of €8 a day. The local area has lots to offer. If you are lucky to catch sunshine (we were!) then visit the beach with golden sands to rest upon. The boulevard has plenty of restaurants to try at varying prices. Best of all we cycled through the bulb fields to the Keukenhof and back. We did 28KM in one day! This hotel is a great location - a bus stop (which can take you into Leiden if you want) stops right outside the hotel. Although this B&B was at the higher end of our budget, it included breakfast and city tax, plus the quality made up for it, being value for money. You are definitely at the quiet end so if you want to stay somewhere peaceful this is the place, it's a good 10 minute walk to the high street / 5 minute walk to the beach or strand.

Room Tip: we had Room 15
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank travel_butterfly_JEN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I had booked via our travel agency at work (BCD Travel) the flight and the hotel. The travel agency even called the hotel to confirm the booking.
I arrived at 11pm at the hotel after a long flight and drive to find the hotel door locked. I called the owner (Paul). He was very rude on the phone and hang up on me after telling me that the reception closes at 9:30. He came out few minutes later and started shouting at me for not having let him know about my late arrival. I explained to him that the booking has been done by the agency (which btw books this hotel for our employees multiple times a week!!!).
The guy said it is my responsibility to let him know when I arrive and now it is my problem and I should look for a new place to sleep. So he refused to check me in his anger and let me stay in front of the door at midnight.
I travel often for work buy this has never happened to me before.
I can still not believe this arrogant behavior. They have obviously a very different culture, when it comes to customer orientation, service and even basic politeness!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Mehran S
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

There isn't a single thing I can pick fault with in this hotel, well aside from not having an elevator but come on, you didn't come to Noordwijk to be lazy :) The rooms are modern, clean and have the feeling of a much more expensive hotel. The breakfast didn't leave us wanting for anything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank itsnotpossible
Oakham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

It's difficult to find anything to fault with this lovely family run hotel. The rooms are light, clean and comfortable, with modern styling; the TVs work, and offer a good selection of channels, while the minibars are well stocked and very reasonably priced - very welcome for hungry, late night arrivals. Breakfast is of good quality - fruit juices, cereals, yoghurt, cheese, sliced meats, breads, tea and coffee all plentiful.

Most notably the owners take real pride in going out of their way to make the stay pleasant - remembering your name, helping with taxi bookings, and generally ensuring that you are comfortable. As a result you feel like a genuine "guest" here, rather than simply another customer as is often the case elsewhere.

The hotel also has a well appointed room that makes an excellent meeting venue, seating approx. 15 people with some space to move around. There is a display screen for presentations, and the hotel's wireless internet connection, available to all guests, performs well. The owners can organise light refreshments for the meeting - if you have to work into the evening, this is definitely a good place to do it!

I've stayed in many of Noordwijk's hotels over the years, but after having been introduced to the Koningshof by a colleague recently, I wouldn't go anywhere else. Whether it's a business trip or holiday, I don't think you could wish for a better place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nigel B
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Koningshof very much, this hotel is small but very friendly with everthing you need for a stay in Noordwijk. The room was very nice and very clean, there was a nice breakfast in the morning and the owners were very helpful in recomending places to eat in the evening and there is no shortage in Noordwijk. Getting to Noordwijk is very easy from the Airport, a simple train journey takes you from the Airport to Leiden in around 25 minutes, then a bus from outside the station takes you to Noordwijk in about 40 minutes and the bus stop for the hotel is a 5 minute walk.

A five minute walk will take you into the town center and to the beach. Noordwijk offers plenty to do during the day and evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family of three stayed here for a week in August and had a wonderful time. We rented the large family suite, as we were visiting family in the country and had visitors over. Fully equipped kitchen with three bedrooms and a sitting area with outdoor space as well. Very clean, friendly staff and wonderful breakfast is included every day. If there is something you need, these guys go out of their way to accommodate any request.

It is in a great location, short walk to the beach, and plenty of (free) parking, which is key in this country. Jean-Paul (the owner) was very helpful in giving suggestions regarding things to do, nearby shopping, where to rent bikes, etc. I have to say that service here is TOP NOTCH. My husband is Dutch, and I have lived for some time in the Netherlands previously, and I can assure any American traveling in the Netherlands that you will not find this type of service in many places.

While Noordwijk is a bit off the beaten path (not by the "touristy" places Americans know), the beach is clean (it's a blue flag beach), has wonderful biking paths through the dunes, and many nice restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Also key - the price was very reasonable, especially for European standards. Would absolutely recommend to anyone that wants to enjoy the Netherlands the way the locals do.

Room Tip: The large family suite has bedrooms downstairs, which is great if you come in the summer when it'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Holly L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noordwijk
Golden Tulip Noordwijk Beach
NH Noordwijk Conference Centre Leeuwenhorst
Beach Hotel Noordwijk
Beach Hotel Noordwijk
#7 of 27 in Noordwijk

Been to Hotel de Koningshof Noordwijk? Share your experiences!