“Business Trip Perfect for 2 days”

Golden Tulip Tjaarda Oranjewoud
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oranjewoud
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Business Trip Perfect for 2 days”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business for 2 nights with 9 other collegues. On check in 4 of the rooms weren't quite ready so we were given a complimentary drink at the bar while we waited. The bar had a lovely relaxed atmosphere and staff were happy to help.
We went for a walk around the local woodland area even though it was raining but saw some beautiful houses and streams.
The room itself was very spacious, I especially liked the bathroom with a large walk in shower with 2 types of shower head.
We ate in the restaurant one of the nights and had the 4 course set meal. The steak was beautiful however we weren't asked how we would like it cooked which I found a little strange but it did fall apart on the plate so I didn't complain. The only thing that I wasn't overally impressed with is the fact it took nearly 4 hours from sitting down to signing the bill at the end of the night and we ended up pouring our own wine as none of the waitresses seemed to notice we had empty glasses. This may have been becuase we were a large group however quicker service would have been nicer..
The breakfast was lovely, the coffee machine being in the buffet area where you serve yourself is a great idea, hot coffee everytime. The selection was also good however one morning I did fancy toast but the only option is bread but this is a continental thing I believe.
Overall it is a lovely hotel, I would stay here again on business however due to the location being far away from many things I wouldn't recommend it to people wanted to see places around Jaure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Good points. The location is pleasant, if you are looking for a quiet hotel in the country. The rooms are spacious. The swimming pool is relatively small, but attractive.

The big disappointment was the service in the Grand Cafe. We paid 120 Euro for a two course meal for two, so it isn't exactly cheap.The service was very poor and the selection of food was boring and not well prepared. As a main course I had cod and white asparagus, which was served with seriously undercooked boiled potatoes. We were told that 20:30 was too late to reserve a table, so we agreed to book one at the latest possible time, which was 20:15. We then sat at the table for 15 minutes waiting for a menu to be given to us!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed two nights a week ago, very quiet place and good breakfast and restaurant in general, but I dislike the room starting to the strong smell of cigarette ash and then to the absence of air conditioning and the heated was there only as decoration, once no pipe connected to anywhere. My room was n.10.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The biggest thing going for this hotel is it's location. I have stayed here twice during visits to the Assen TT races (about 1 hour away), it's very quiet and secluded, somewhat off the beaten track.

The rooms are a decent size and comfortable but could do with updating sometime soon. The ground floor room I chose had it's own small terrace and the hotel has a very pleasant bar/terrace/eating area which is perfect on a summers evening.

I have not eaten in the main restaurant and the meal I had on the terrace, whilst not haute cuisine, was perfectly acceptable. I did not have breakfast on either visit, in my opinion the 08:00 start time at the weekend isn't early enough.

A free WiFi service is available to all guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank The_Touring_Bikers
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed in Golden Tulip Tjaarda Orangewoud during the latter portion of May 2012. The weather during our stay was exceptionally nice and we truly enjoyed our stay partly as a result of this. The hotel is situated in a forested area, not very far from Heerenveen and its famous ice-skating arena. Nature is beautiful for walking and biking. We had a room at the back of the hotel, looking straight into the forest. We had the screened windows of our room open, and we were awakened in the morning by singing birds. The rooms were good; the personnel was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent with a large variety of items (much more than the simple continental breakfast).

We noted from comments by other guests, that the terrace in front of the hotel could be noisy, so it is best to select a room on the back side. Of course, during this weather extensive use of the outside terraces was made: for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We found lunch and dinner service on the slow side. The food was good.

Our reason for staying in this hotel was proximity to a major family event and we extensively reviewed other lodging options. We were very satisfied with our selection and we recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Select a room on the back side. If the terrace is used, the front rooms can be noisy according to ot...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mol, Belgium
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The area around the hotel is perfect, very quiet !
The food and service in their restaurant is also very good but... the rooms really need renovation and the cleaning is not good at all!
There was a dirty ashtray on the terras that wasn't cleaned in our 4 days stay and a lot of weedage on the floor.
Very disappointing!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Wendygoesaround
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I stayed at Tjaarda Oranjewoud for 5 nights when in the area for business. While the restaurant was 4 stars, the hotel has quite a way to go...

What was good:
- I ate at the formal restaurant 2 nights & had 2 wonderful meals with excellent wine and service. While on the expensive side, I'm from NY so that was not an issue. I ate at the bar restaurant one night & the food was good, although certainly couldn't compare with the other meals - however, it was considerable less expensive as well.
- The staff was very nice.
- The bed was very comfortable & there were lots of pillows for me to choose from.
- It's a beautiful location - albeit a bit country if you are a city girl like me.
- They repaired my safe by the next day when I informed them it was broken. Of course, I would expect them to check these before a guest checks in.
- I got an amazing rate including breakfast!
- Rooms were fairly clean (except my towel incident)
- Free wireless

For improvement:
- The shower door was off it's hinges & although I asked repeatedly to have it fixed, it never was. How they did not notice, or ignored it, was beyond me. But then they didn't notice the broken safe either.
- There are only single size beds pushed together. As it is Europe, and not in a city, it is not out of the ordinary - but I would expect a 4 or 5 star hotel to offer full or queen size beds.
- Their rooms and bathrooms need updating. They are truly dated - especially the bathrooms. Again, they are fine for a 2 star hotel - but if you want to be 4 stars...
- I try to do my part to save the environment and used my towels for the duration of my stay. Except for a couple of hand towels that I used for a spill or had my make up on it. I threw them in the sink to take away - but they just hung them back up for me. I put them on the floor finally so they could take them away. Same with used wine glasses which they left on the counter - I put them outside the room & they finally took them away.
- There is a nice area to sit outside - however, a used coffee cup was on the chair for two days... In plain view.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay & would recommend the hotel - just don't expect a true 4 star hotel when you enter your room...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rachelleny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oranjewoud
Bilderberg Landgoed Lauswolt
Art & Wellness Hotel Huis ten Wolde
Hotel de Harmonie
Hotel de Harmonie
#1 of 3 in Giethoorn

Been to Golden Tulip Tjaarda Oranjewoud? Share your experiences!