“High quality fish served to honor the palate without pretention”

Ristorante Portoprego
Ranked #22 of 90 Restaurants in Camogli
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

High quality fish served to honor the palate without pretention. Affordable, honest food.
Not a fancy place but clean with a beautiful vista of the surrounding harbor.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

the starters were good, tuna tartar and a octopus (salami di polpo). We order a lobster tagliateli for main course. The pasta wasn't "al dente" not even for non italian eater, who usually prefer not so al dente stile. The lobster (one full lobster divided in the two dishes) can with the shell, making it more difficult to eat. The service were slow, slower than what we got in other restaurants in Camogli, but they were very polite and friendly.

1  Thank Zamorano
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was the most disappointing experience in Italy for my entire trip. Although the menu was translated in English, the stuff didn't understand almost anything, which resulted in total miscommunication and eventually after awfully long wait they brought us smth completely different from what we ordered. We asked to replace the dishes with the different ones (again struggled to explain what we actually wanted), and after another half an hour they brought smth so miserable, I won't even describe it. We were so tired by that time that we ate it with no further arguing and afterwards paid for the bill, which obviously included the price of the first wrong dishes!
SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY! DO NOT GO THERE!

2  Thank L0ndoner
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Service woeful - after our concierge recommended for the service!
5 people - 1-3 had finished mains (after being told to start by 4 & 5 due to sloth like serving!) by the Te time 4th and 5th meals came out. 2 of the party had lobster tail pasta, myself included. 2 pieces of lobster later with broken glass like shards of lobster hell throughout my pasta, I suggested we skip desert for another venue. To nail final nail in coffin for me, while waiting for the remainder of our party to finish their substandard meals I ventured to bathroom. Unisex toilets are commonplace in quaint little restaurants throughout Europe, but my personal opinion is if that is the only facility you provide the standard should reflect that which your establishment wishes to provide. I can confidently say the hygiene in the bathroom correlated well with the sloppy meal provided. I am 6 foot tall and sometimes the confined space of a European bathroom is uncomfortable, but with a restroom smaller than an aeroplane you can at least offset the discomfort with the supply of toilet paper - imagine my displeasure when I reached for my first sheet to find the cupboard bare.... 0 stars

1  Thank Will W
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very good seafood in the port of Camogli, outdoor seating on the main square with fantastic ambience in the evening. We had the raw seafood antipasto and the fish was certainly fresh as well as appropriately seasoned. The Primi piati we tasted included tagliolini with cuttlefish ink and spaghetti with frutti di mare. Both well executed and subtle enough to let the main ingredient shine.
While the food and ambience are perfect, the service is a little mixed. The young waiter -Alberto, who served us for most of the night was good, knowledgeable and attentive. The older waiter, whom I believe is the owner is a bit on the surly side. At one point he stood by our table with an acquaitance who was smoking over us and proceeded to recount his entire life story for 15mins while we were trying to enjoy his kitchen's food.
We will still return and recommend as the ambience and food are hard to beat in Camogli.