“The best restaurant in Limone!”
Review of Al Vecchio Fontec

Al Vecchio Fontec
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

A fantastic restaurant that's well worth a visit. My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant last week and had a great experience. Upon arrival we were offered a complimentary glass of prossecco whilst choosing from a delicious range off the menu. The food was of excellent standard and the atmosphere was relaxed and intimate. The owners (chef and hostess) were incredibly inviting and accommodating. This restaurant is a must for a true Italian experience!

1  Thank Choccho

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We decided to book this restaurant after the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. As others have stated, the restaurant itself is not the easiest to find and does not benefit from the lake view of some of the other restaurants, but the outside courtyard is a charming oasis of calm in an area which can be quite busy and bustling. Quite a welcome break after a few days in Limone.

The food was excellent. We had Antipasti, Primi and Secondi and the portions were extremely generous. So much so, I couldn’t squeeze in a dessert much to my dismay! The quality of the ingredients spoke for themselves with the majority being locally sourced.

The jewel in the crown of this restaurant was the hospitality. Diana was incredibly attentive without being overly fussy and made some excellent food and drink recommendations. I also had the pleasure of meeting Paolo (the chef) at the end of the night and his passion and knowledge surrounding what he does was very endearing.

All in all, a fantastic evening and experience that I thoroughly recommend to anybody visiting the area who has a passion for food and drink. I would recommend booking, although we managed to get a table a couple of days in advance.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friend and I came across this lovely little restaurant which looked very promising as it offered a different menu from most of the places in Limone. We discovered that it was wise to make a reservation as it has very few tables. We were really looking forward to our dinner as we were getting a bit fed up with the 'tourist fare' on offer at most restaurants in the town. The atmosphere is lovely - a shady, beautifully decorated courtyard - but it was let down by the service and the food. The service was very slow - we were not even offered a drink while we waited 20 minutes for our order to be taken. The waitress was new and didn't know anything about the 'specials' on offer - not her fault, but she should have been given better training. She forgot to bring the mineral water we ordered and also gave us the wrong wine. After some difficulty with our order, we decided to share a starter of mozzarella in filo pastry. This looked beautiful, but was rather tasteless. I chose the 'special' of the day which was black 'squid ink' pasta with octopus. The portion of pasta was very generous, to say the least, but there was hardly any octopus with it and on the whole it, too, was rather dry and tasteless and I could not finish it. We decided to forgo a dessert and coffee and went elsewhere. It was a disappointment as it felt as though appearance took precedence over the quality of the food. All in all, a rather expensive let down.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I came across this little gem whilst exploring Limone. We were fed up of all the touristy restaurants with big pictures of the food and the same menus and so were really happy when we found this restaurant. The décor is lovely and creates a more sophisticated setting than the other restaurant in the town. The service was excellent. The owner and her husband are so friendly and she can speak Italian, English and German fluently. The food was delicious, by far the best menu in the town. We shared the Buffalo mozzarella starter which was massive for a starter however very tasty and beautifully presented. We had the seafood spaghetti which was very tasty and then the ice cream meringue. I definitely recommend this restaurant if you are staying in Limone, you feel so welcome immediately and it is a lovely atmosphere.

1  Thank Daisy W
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Off on the back streets, no view, but real authentic northern Italian cuisine. Very nice outside courtyard.