We stayed here for three nights, and the hilltop site is absolutely beautiful.If you think of this place as more of a rustic bed and breakfast, then you'll be happy. But as a 4-star hotel, it needs some fine tuning. The staff, though nice, are very laid back. We had a "suite" with a large sitting room, good sized bathroom with two sinks and comfortable bedroom (good view from our bedroom window). But the suite was somewhat spartan and the bathroom was equipped more like a 2-star. The tight shower was a little flimsy plastic enclosure that felt like it might fall over if you leaned against it. There wasn't even a place to put your soap in the shower. There was a bar, but it was not well equipped, the ice machine was broken and the staff really didn't know anything about mixing drinks.
There are several redeeming qualities of the hotel, however. It's an old castle, so you get the feel of history. The views of the Tuscan hills are unbeatable, and the grounds are lovely. Breakfast is served in the pool house, and was very good. You sit out on the pool house patio, with great views at breakfast---reaqlly pleasant. The pool is large and there is a nice sitting area around it. Plenty of free parking. There is free internet. No restaurant here, but there is an excellent family-run place in Strove, which you can walk to from the hotel, or there are several good places in Monteriggioni a 5-10 minute drive away. Overall, I would consider it a 3-star hotel in a 5-star location. A few fixes would make it truly a lovely place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castel Bigozzi, one of the oldest and embattled castles of this area, rises in the land of Strove.In the Middle Ages this castle belonged to the ancestors of the ancient noble Montanini Family. Its coats of arms well relates its history: a red shield, like the earth that surrounds it, a black lion, symbol of courage and battles, glory and defeat .Historical chronicles in fact report that it was a place of refuge and protection for Ghibelline troops. Today, Castel Bigozzi is a hotel residence, offering hospitality to guests from the four corners of the world.A place of antique charm, immersed in the stillness of the Tuscan countryside, where you will feel enveloped by the warmth of the hospitable environment and by the richness of a land that speaks the language of Art, History, Nature and Traditions. An ideal place to find peace and to spend a totally relaxing holiday, in a land that never fails to surprise all year around.To Nature lovers this area offers many pathways for outings on foot, mountain bike or on horseback, following trails of bygone days, bringing the wanderer to breath-taking landscapes like the famous "Crete" of Siena (the Senese Clavey Hills), the Chianti, or one of the many thermal springs of the area ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Relais Castel Bigozzi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Relais Castel Bigozzi Hotel Monteriggioni
- Castel Bigozzi
- Relais Castel Bigozzi Monteriggioni, Italy - Tuscany