“Traditional Tuscan cuisine in a lovely setting”

Ristorante Il Pozzo
Ranked #23 of 41 Restaurants in Monteriggioni
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 13, 2012

With friends from England, we reserved a table at Il Pozzo one evening in early July. (Reservations at that time of year, by the way, seem to be a necessity. I saw many people being turned away.)

We had a delicious several course meal, starting with mixed crostini and deep fried zucchini blossoms. The zucchini blossoms were exquisite--- crisp and perfectly prepared. For my first course, I had pici with sautéed bread crumbs and lardons (comfort food from the Tuscan peasant tradition) followed by beef tagliata: grilled steak cut into strips and served atop a bed of arugula.The dishes offered are all traditional regional cuisine, robust and simple and appealing. (Enjoy the food... you can resume your healthy eating habits when you get home!) We’d had too much to eat to try the restaurant’s desserts, unfortunately, but the local wines we had were unlike any wines I’d drunk before, so fragrant and fresh.

We ate on the terrace because it was a hot summer evening. The terrace’s pergola was covered in blossoms and greenery--- very pretty and cozy.

I found the service to be very good, in spite of the fact that the restaurant was completely full. I was dismayed to overhear some gratuitously rude remarks to their server from a group at the table next to ours. Apparently, they were unhappy with their service in spite of the fact that the staff were clearly doing their very best. When you travel at the BUSIEST time of year, to some of the world’s most popular places AND you are a visitor in a culture very different from yours, it behooves you to be patient and pleasant.

We made a point of telling our server how happy we were with both our food and the service. He rewarded us with after dinner, filled-to-the-brim, glasses of limoncello. It’s a good thing Monteriggioni is so beautiful and walkable.... we walked off our limoncello-induced euphoria on the narrow streets of that culturally important medieval fortified town, stopping at several points to gaze out in the night to the lights in the valley below.

I would LOVE to go back to Monteriggioni and Il Pozzo. If you go, go with an understanding of where you are, and what the challenges of a busy season are for people whose business attracts tourists from all over the world. You’ll be happy you did.

1  Thank Vivianite

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This restaurant came loosely reccomended from a few sources and seeing we were staying in near by Radicondoli we ventured down then up to Monteriggioni to have lunch there.

First impressions were that we had walked in to a tourist trap. Sat out back/side in a fan covered courtyard this place was filled with American families having lunch. Nothing at all against Americans it's just that this place was billed as a place where locals would eat (not the case this lunch).

My son and I were looked after by a lovely young waiteress.
The food was excellent. Zucchini flowers, wild boar in strong sauce, pasta with pancetta and bread crumbs.
A nice winelist with good selection by the glass.

Despite not a single italian in the restaurant they would happily eat here. Food was fresh, well executed and had I been in the area longer I would have returned.

1  Thank Centonove
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We loved this restaurant so much so that we went there twice. It was a 5km drive from where were were staying in Stove. Loved walking around before heading to the restaurant. Both times we sat in the covered courtyard on the side. Great service, excellent quality food and delicious. Highly recommend the Florentine steak (to be shared). The pastas were divine and the tiramisu was fabulous. Wonderful wine selection too. We would definitely go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was our 24th year at Il Pozzo. Yes, we were here before there was any reason other than Il Pozzo and a fabulous photo framed by the rear portal of the walls from whence a photo was a must. The walls were in ruins and not walkable, the small church was in disrepair and parking was only in the piazza. The small tobacco shop/store was in existence and served some food.

As the years have passed, the changes to this small walled village have also changed (as evidenced by all of the small stores and cafes, a hotel, repairs to the walls and the new parking lots outside the walls...one for pay and one fore free down the hill). What has never changed, however, is the high quality of the Tuscan food and service at Il Pozzo (despite changes in the wait staff through retirement; the owner and kitchen staff are the same).

I read the two latest reviews of this ristorante and was distressed by both. Turning to the most recent review, I must say that while I know nothing of the actual circumstances of the parking choice of the party, I can say that it is unwise to 1) leave anything showing in a car AND 2) to park in a "free" lot in Italy (or any other country).

As to the second reviewer, I believe s(he) is operating under a misapprehension with respect to restaurants in the Med. That is, we have never dined at a restaurnat which did not charge a comperto per head. Indeed, pizzerias bring bread and charge a comperto. This is so because, unlike the US, restaurants in Italy actually pay their wait staff a good salary and provide benefits. The comperto is a small overhead charge. A "tip" may be left for good service, but is neither expected nor required.

The worst "ugly American" story was actually played out next to our table at Il Pozzo when an obviously wealthy American mother and daughter ordered one salad to split and brought out their own bottles of water from their Gucci purses!!

We look forward to returning to Il Pozzo next year. Indeed, we would have traveled there from Fiesole the day before we departed, but I badly sprained my wrist that morning and we had to cancel.

A last word....in addition to the gypsies who are a problem throughout Italy, the country is now being plagued by the presence of unlawful immigrants from many non-EU countries (another barbarian invasion if you will). The petty crime rate has escalated, particulalry for those who are not attentive. In that regard, one of my dearest Italian friends witnessed a theft similar to the one described by the last reviewer at the cemetery parking lot in Caldine where 2 cars were victim to theft and destruction.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Monteriggioni is a beautiful place. A walled city where most everyone parks outside the city walls. This poses an opportunity for shenanigans to occur. And not the good ones...

While driving from Montalcino to Florence we decided to take a quick jaunt into Monteriggioni for lunch. Il Pozzo looked like a great place right on the Piazza. Our food was good, the setting was decent, but when I asked for the bill, our waiter started stalling. I noticed some glances back and forth between a few of the other staff. After about 20 minutes of trying to get the bill and being stalled, the manager finally brought it out.
When traveling overseas, I try to be very respectful as I would hate to ever be classified as one of the Ugly Americans. So, I settled up, left a gratuity and we started hoofing it back to the car.
When we arrived at the car, we noticed that the locks were broken and most of our belongings were missing.

I walked back through the city walls and began to try and find a policeman. A lady at a souvenir shop told me that we would need to drive down to a larger town (Poggibonsi) to file a report.

My Italian isn't great and the policeman we met had very little English skills. But I gathered from our discussion that he thought our waiter was in on the burglary. He also said something about gypsies. That made me laugh as my Italian grandfather always blamed anything bad that happened in Italy on the gypsies.

Well, never got any of our stuff back, but learned a few valuable lessons.

2  Thank pablotxaggie