“Magical dining experience”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Lindos
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Magical dining experience”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This summer we spent our time in Lindos at a beach villa but ate most nights of our three week stay at Melenos. Having been hotel guests and diners in previous years, Michalis and his courteous, friendly staff welcomed us as always with warmth. The warmth is not only reserved for old friends, any newcomer would immediately feel comfortable as they were glided to their most beautifully set table under a canopy illuminated by wonderful lanterns and candlelit tables. The subtlety of the lighting enhances the views of Lindos Bay, the Acropolis and the stars to maximum effect. Whichever way you look the view is simply stunning. The quality of the food is exceptional, the flavours that the chef has created are to die for, we would discuss what we were going to eat for dinner somewhere mid afternoon! The attention to detail of presentation is so creative and the tableware is most unusual. The garden dining room in contrast has a roof canopy of vines, heavily laden with bunches of grapes. We have also been diners indoors during the autumn season last year where the dining room is richly influenced in Turkish style with so many interesting pieces.
The bouillabaisse was a real autumn warmer. If ever you are in Lindos and want a magical location with the best food in the village you simply must visit Michalis,the prime mentor for this fabulous creation, and his special team. I know we will again and again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Melenos, Front Office Manager at Melenos Lindos Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for choosing Melenos Lindos for your dining.Thank you for your lovely comments !!
You can always count yourselves as our friend / guests!! Wishes for a stressfree winter and for a more beautifull summers to come!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
NY,NY
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I am a frequent international traveler. Based on my experiences, I have discovered that the most challenging thing to create for a guest is a place that has character, that has a genuine feel of the village, town or city you are visiting. And above all, a place that is comfortable and makes you feel at home. I stayed in 5 hotels while in Greece for two weeks and Melenos Lindos was the most memorable place. Our Greek friends in Athens and Chania all said, this is the best place to stay on the island of Rodos. And it was.

Amidst the bustling, crowded streets of Lindos, Melenos Lindos was an oasis, a small haven you could relax in the shade, surrounded by absolutely beautiful gardens, flowers, plants and views. Our room was very tastefully decorated with antiques and gorgeous pieces. The bathroom was spacious, had lovely bath products and was plentiful with the towels (beach and bath). Being here inspired me to want to re-create my own gardens back home in NY and re-decorate my entire apartment!

The staff was wonderfully accomodating and personal. My 5 year old daughter Alexandra loved the place, found another lovely young girl named Eva staying at the hotel to play with and we are forever grateful to the staff that always made sure she was happy and well taken care of.

My husband had suffered from some heat exhuation (as the summer temperatures in Greece were quite high this year) and the owner, Mr. Melenos personally visited him and he and the staff helped called a physician to ensure he was ok. No hotel I have ever stayed at (even 5 star hotels) have ever provided this type of personal attention.

The meals at this place were my favorite. Breakfast was a beautiful experience on the garden terrace, basket of different breads, fresh juices and the rest (eggs, yogurt, omelettes, etc.) you could order as much or as little as you wanted.. we loved waking up every morning for it! Lunch always delicious, chicken souvlaki was excellent and dinner, only the freshest ingredients are used in their modern Greek cuisine with the grilled sea bream being my favorite. This is by far the top and only place to eat in all of Lindos.

Melenos Lindos is an upscale small boutique hotel that has a more intimate, personable level accomdation. You are more like a guest that was invited to spend the week at a friend's luxurious family villa on the Greek islands. Those who dont seek this type of experience, and demand round the clock services won't properly appreciate the advantages of Melenos Lindos and are better off at a 4 or 5 star resort outside of town.

Thank you Mr. Melenos, Stefanos and the staff (especially Valentini, Pericles, Aphrodite, Risa, Dimitri) for sharing your paradise with us. We have recommended your place to all our friends and we will return very soon. We already miss your incredible place.

Room Tip: Try to avoid August. Lindos is very hot and crowded at this time of the year. While it was already...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cruzbee
Thank you for your kind words and for placing such a nice commects for the Melenos Lindos.
We miss Alexandra too and little Eleni also came around after your departure looking for her :-)
We believe that you will keep Lindos in your heart and we hope that we will have the chance to welcome you again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

If you are a dreamer like I am, and you dream of an intimate wedding in beautiful villa tucked away somewhere in the Mediterranean overlooking the deep blue sea then this is the perfect place. At Melenos Lindos, you feel like you are on top of the world and the world from up there is truly beautiful.

Sitting amidst the beautiful grounds that have been artfully designed maintaining the integrity of the old villa and the ancient village it’s built on, you will feel like you have retreated completely from the world. Its rustic elegance had left an indelible impression on my mind, but when it was time to decide where to get married, it was the impeccable service and the excellent food that I always experienced on my many visits that made our choice definitive.

We decided to get married in Greece last minute and we were planning everything from New York. From the moment we decided that Melenos was the place, we were guided by our wedding coordinators--Maria and Michali--with professionalism and kindness. When we finally arrived in Lindos, we were greeted by the owner, Michali Melenos, who is in a class of his own and a team of incredible people that work with him. His brother Stefanos and his staff members and servers made sure our every need and desire was fulfilled. Stefanos helped us with our paperwork reaching out to local authorities expediting the process. Alexandros and Perikli (servers at the restaurant) made sure we always had something to drink. You definitely can say that it is a well managed enterprise, but honestly, I never felt like I was paying to be served, I felt like I was visiting an old friend at his gorgeous home and that I was loved and taken care of.

I wish I could have bottled my frame of mind the night of my wedding because for a moment in my life I felt like I had lived a fantastic dream. It felt like I had lived an old romance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sofia L
Melenos, Front Office Manager at Melenos Lindos Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dearest Sofia,

Old romance for a couple that deserves the best of the best!!
It was our pleasure and honor to have the chance to welcome you and offer you our hospitality.
We are very happy that you have enjoyed both your stay and your wedding reception!
We hope to see you on your wedding anniversary and once again we wish you all the happines and a life full of smiles!!
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

When in Lindos, make yourself a lavish gift, stay at Melenos Lindos.

Our 4-day stay at the hotel was a grand finale of most enjoyable two weeks spent in Crete, Santorini and Rhodes.

Walking around the hotel grounds is a sheer pleasure; there is always something beautiful to look at, a graceful curve of a handsome masonry wall, a pretty mosaic, a lovingly selected and carefully placed artifact, a pretty antique bowl, a noble carved marble slab, groomed shrubs and flowers.

The room (we stayed at a Honeymoon Suite) was very spacious, luxuriously comfortable, a tasteful mélange of Greek and Oriental design. The quality and beauty of everything from furniture to bathroom fixtures exceeds most of what you find in most 5-star accommodations. Beds are sumptuous and comfortable (you ascend to this magnificent place of repose, so be sure to be fully awake as you descend from it). The bathroom is actually a room, with a generous and handsome walk-in shower. Every room has a delightful patio with beautiful views of the hotel gardens and the bay.

The breakfast was anything but indifferent, with a selection of tasty treats served on a cozy terrace with a charming view of the bay, in the shade of huge grape vines heavy with tempting fruit.

The service was beyond reproach, efficient, considerate and friendly. The check in was smooth, and the check out at 4am went like a breeze.

We have to admit it was at times difficult to leave the comfort of the room and the patio to walk around Lindos and go to the beach. Lindos is a charming village which we found is best explored at night, when all day trippers are gone and you can soak in its leisurely yet lively ambiance. And Lindos definitely deserves a better maintained and organized beach…

And finally, the hotel has a lovely shop which is a like a small museum where you can actually buy things you fancy! Infinitely far from your regular ‘souvenir shops,’ it is a treasure trove full of handsome and authentic items from Greece, Central Asia and Levant. It was a pleasure to rummage through, and the things we bought to decorate our house in Armenia will always remind us of the beauty and warmth of Melenos Lindos.

1 Thank KristineK71
Dear Kristine,
we are happy to hear that dispite the heat you have enjoyed your stay in Melenos.It is a pleasure for us to see our guests happy, relaxed and the smile of our guests is the reward for us all.We hope to have the chance to welcome you in Melenos again in the future.
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was there as a guest when the hotel was having a wedding party. Sorry to read that some people were not satisfied but for our part it was just an amazing experience, the staff is kind and helpful, the food is delicious and the rooms are absolutely stunning. Too late for me but I would have dreamed to get married there and encourage anybody to do so.Thank you Melenos Hotel and Restaurant to bring such a high quality of service in Lindos!

1 Thank Mark P
Thank you for being so kind to write your experience of " that night" Melenos restaurant is an experience and we invite everyone to feel the diference.Thank you for your comment and we are looking forward to welcome you in Melenos in the future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visited this hotel as a guest for a wedding. In fact i was best man. I did not stop at the hotel as a resident.
This is a fabulous location with stunning views over the agean sea and the pretty acropolis behind and above.
The room which was open air was decorated beautifully and the atmosphere to start with was lovely.
Now this is where it all went wrong. For some reason the speeches started late. This was because of the usual things that happen at weddings. I was last to deliver mine and finished at 9.53 pm. At this time the starters were delivered. The waiters, in particular one older gentleman with grey hair looked as if he didn't want to be there and never said a word. I would go so far as to say he scowled at the guests. Some two hours later the main course still hadn't arrived. Some guests had actually left the venue without receiving their main courses.
I went to investigate and spoke to the owner (i will call him Mr Melenos as i dont know his name). He was a small lighlty spoken French man. He was straight on the defensive and blamed the speeches for being late even though at the time of this conversation they had finished over two hours previously. He then stated that it was the guests fault for not eating their starters quickly enough because they were 'laughing and joking'. I did explain that it was a wedding! He spoke to me in a arrogant and patronising manner. He then backed down after some negotiation and offered a small discount (which was a small amount of money which still had to be paid) and a free glass of champagne to all the guests.
The owner then started to point out that he had complaints from the residents that we were singing and that one of the babies was crying. This baby was my daughter who is only two years of age and was crying because she was starving!! Suprisingly none of this was mentioned before i complained to them?!
I couldnt stomach any more of the dissapointment and left soon after without any main course, sweet or coffee.
To sum up then i suggest that if you want to get married at this location you think long and hard unless you get married early in the sweltering heat and move on to celebrate at another location. Such a shame as it could and should have been a fabulous location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Stuart P
Melenos, Front Office Manager at Melenos Lindos Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We are sorry that you did not enjoy as much as you had plan this wedding reception.
I wish thinks could be different . I believe that probably there was a misunderstanding when choosing Melenos Lindos for this celebration.Melenos is the perfect place to host a dinner for any kind of celebration, birthday, wedding, anniversary, proposal etc but defenetely it is not the place for partying.This night annoyed our inhouse guests and the guests that they had their dinner at the same time in the open air restaurant as your party was getting louder and louder. When choosing and booking a location it is very important to take under consideration the status of the venue and to show some respect to other guests as well.In order to have the full advandage of the facilities and the staff then a private reservation of the place is nececaary in order to enjoy the " paty " at the most.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Both the hotel and the restaurant are wonderful. The food is just amazing, the quality is high top. I'm italian and i have never ate such a good pasta outside italy. The view Is breathless and so romantic in the night with the ligh of lanterns blowing in the wind. Mr. Mikalis is an exceptional owner, very kind and helpful, with an extraordinary taste for decoring the hotel. What can i say further? You definitely need to experience this place!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
You definitely need to experience this place ...this is the overal.Melenos Lindos is a feeling and an experience!!Thank you for your comments !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lindos
Lindos Blu
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas
Hotel Lindos View
Hotel Lindos View
#8 of 30 in Lindos

Been to Melenos Lindos Hotel? Share your experiences!