“A grill and roast place with big hearty meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Benito

Casa Benito
Ranked #124 of 187 Restaurants in Merida
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Madrid, Spain
“A grill and roast place with big hearty meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

We like the steaks ("Retinto") and we like the quail salad. Wine is also decent. The atmosphere is like one of those tabernas where there are posters of bullfighters everywhere and waiters are rough looking robust guys who don't mince words and just go ahead and tell you what's good and what's not.

Visited December 2011

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Overpriced, terrible service, mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

The terraza looked attractive, but everything else was poor. The waiters were surly, and lunch for 4, consisting of the usual tapas of croquetas, chorizos and salad cost over 60 euros. There is a 10 percent surcharge for sitting on the terraza.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank rn123456
Funchal, Portugal
“Terrible service - Avoid at all cost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

After checking the Tripadvisor reviews, I went to this restaurant in early January, for lunch.

After having a bad time finding the restaurant (we had a map, but still no one seemed to know about the restaurant or the street it was in), we eventually got there.

We entered and were sitted in a round table. The theme of the restaurant is bullfighting... not much to my liking, but well, we were in Spain. As we sat down I noticed both the tablecloth and the napking had holes in them... As we had a table for 8 and we were a group of 5, I exchanged the napkin and thought nothing of it.

That is when the terrible wait started. We waited for 15 minutes... none of the waiters would even bring us the menu. We repeately tried to get their attention... they would look at us and simply not respond. Eventually we "caught" one waiter as he brought dessert for the table next to ours. He very bluntly said that his colleague was the one assigned to our table (this guy was waiting on 3 tables at this point, each with 4 persons). So we start looking at the other waiter (a girl). She was attending a 20-person table which had arrived after us. She would look back at us, but wouldn't come to our table, nod, nothing... she simply ignored us.

By now we had wited for 40 minutes. We still had no menu, had no food on the table whatsoever and had not been able to even speak with our waiter. So I got up and spoke to the waiter. The reply? "This 20-person table had a reservation, so you need to wait until I end taking their order AND bring them their food and then I will bring you the menu" Excuse me? What????

I don't remeber ever leaving a restaurant before eating. But then again, I had never encountered such terrible service. We left at 3 p.m.

I do not recommend this restaurant at all.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank AnaNeto
Alcala de los Gazules, Spain
“Friendly staff, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

Really good value and a great atmosphere. Don't go there if you are a vegetarian or anti bullfighting. And if you are one of those people who likes to try things they haven't had before, don't be tempted by the Morros de Retinta ... gelatinous cow's cheeks in tomato sauce.