“Great for horsey and non-horsey folks”

Fundacion Real Escuela Andaluza del Arte Ecuestre
and up
City Sightseeing Jerez de la Frontera Hop-on Hop-off Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art Foundation, in Jerez de la Frontera, is famous all over the world for its show called "How the Andalusian Horses Dance", a unique exhibition of horsemanship which both exhibits and summarises the work which the institution has carried out since its establishment. Although the show "How the Andalusian Horses Dance" may be considered the highest attainment of the School's work, there are other aspects which are regarded as equally, or even more important, for the Institution. Among these, we would like to highlight its role as a social and cultural vehicle for our equestrian heritage, the selection and promotion of horses, the training of Haute Ecole riders, the preservation and promotion of Classical and Country Dressage (Doma Vaquera), maintaining the prestige of our horsemanship, the breed of our Spanish horses, our traditions and culture. Furthermore, the show enables the Royal School to play host for the Province of Cadiz and to act as ambassadors abroad on annual tours to various foreign countries. In addition to the show, you might enjoy a visit to our training facilities as well as the Museum of Equestrian Art and the Carriage Museum.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Visited on a Tuesday and saw the show. Our non-horsey friends were captivated and the show was excellent. The grounds are beautiful and it was great to see the horses working in the outside rings as well. If you don't buy tickets online, be sure to get there a good 45 mins early - before the tour buses come and everyone queues to buy tickets. We did not see the museums and visiting the grounds and seeing the show was sufficient for us.

For horsey folks: While the show was excellent overall, it seemed as if they were using their B string on the day we visited (though do I credit them for not pushing the horses too hard to do the more complicated movements). Compared to the show we saw in Cordoba at the other equestrian school location this was a bit of a let down. I was hoping to see more Doma Vacquera and in-hand work, but that wasn't the case. IF you have the occasion to choose between the shows in Jerez or Cordoba, I would prefer the Cordoba show. A much more intimate setting and overall better show compared to the day we visited Jerez. However, if you only visit Jerez you and your non-horsey companions will certainly not be disappointed!

1  Thank FlCracker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed October 18, 2012

As a horse lover with a passion for classical dressage this was a must see. I visited the website beforehand and booked to see the show. However, I wrongly assumed that paying for the show automatically gave you access to the museum. Disappointed to find out that a)it was closed after the show b) required an extra access ticket. Clearly my research on the matter wasn't up to scratch!
We stayed in a hotel just a stones throw away from the school. However finding the main entrance was challenging. From the hotel the first (open) gate equipped with a kiosk was the wrong one and with my woeful grasp of Spanish I was unable to establish where we should be going. Luckily another tourist came to my rescue. It certainly wasn't well signposted from the Pizzaro/duque roundabout.
The show itself was good. We had excellent seats in the front row of the short side of the arena. I had seen the school perform before at the Royal Welsh Agricultural Show (Wales) and was surprised that the Doma Vaquera performance was less extensive on their home turf.

3  Thank Becky B
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Apart from the show, there really isn’t a lot to see. You don’t miss much if you don’t buy the half tour ticket and just see the show. However, I like museums who try to please their visitors, and the museum – although having not that much to talk about or to show – did just that.
The palace wasn’t spectacular either, but it provided a nice enough shelter from the pouring rain we unfortunately encountered that day.

Price for the half tour ticket was 6 € (4 € for retirees).

The show itself (19 €, 12 € for retirees, to be bought extra) was also ok, but I somehow expected more. I have never seen a similar show (say in Vienna) to compare it with, but I found it to be a bit “uneven” and unmusical. The music itself was way too repetitive. On the other hand, the show got better and better, and I really liked the last bit. The building where the show took place was very bland and could need some decoration to improve the overall impression.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Only 11 euros to get in with a guided tour that took you up close and personal to the horses, tack room, stables etc. We went on a Monday so didn't see a show but they were practicing in the arena so we saw plenty of action. Closes at 1:30 when we were there so dont leave it until the afternoon.

2  Thank Nigel W
Reviewed October 14, 2012

From the moment the first rider appeared in historic costume, I was completely captivated, as I knew I would be, If it had been 100 euros a ticket I would have gladly paid it.
You would have to be a complete philistine not to appreciate the sheer beauty and elegance of the horse/rider combination and understand the innumerable hours of training that it takes to produce a performance of this calibre.This is the highest level of dressage, which has evolved from the need for a horse to be flexible, quick, agile and able to stop almost instantly in its tracks. I found it an incredibly moving spectacle, as did my partner who accompanied me having no idea waht to expect. The school is set in beautiful grounds and it is possible to go on a tour, and watch the horses/riders in training. Would I go again? - like a shot! Would I recommend it to a friend? I already have!