“Very Very noisy!”

NH Avenida Jerez
eire
“Very Very noisy!”
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My main memory of this hotel will be the noise!. We stayed there on a thursday and friday night. Our room was 50 yards down the side of the hotel along the side street ie of the main street. On the thursday the noise was bearable though expect to be woken up a few times. On the friday the noise was crazy - from 2am 'til about 7.15am. At 7.15 am I got up to see where the music was coming from. Some fool had parked his car on the far side of the main street and opened all doors including the boot to "entertain us" with music. Was very angry the next day. There is also a nightclub close by on the main street. Parking and breakfast were a bit of a rip off. Good outdoor cafe across the road to get breakfast in. I would have gone for the hotel across the road (but situated of the road) for the extra 25 euros. Was full when we visited.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank bubuIre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2004

We booked two nights in this hotel, per room per night was around 65 euros, fantastic value. The rooms have a mini fridge so we bought our own milk for our children ( had two rooms, not interconnecting), things for breakfast and my essential travel kettle for my tea in the morning. In Spain you rarely get a tea service facility by your bed. The rooms weren't big, but they were very clean and well furnished and there was plenty of space in the wardrobe for clothes etc. The room has a tv and you can pay for set films. We watched the latest Harry Potter film in English which was a great treat. You can also hire playstations. We had room service one night, some of the baguettes, one with pork and they were delicious and so reasonable. It was a few weeks ago but I think a baguette with pork and chips was around five euros. It was fresh, the meat was typical for Spain, superb quality and we ate it whilst watching Harry Potter together! The location of the hotel is great. You are about a ten minute walk max to the horse show ( BOOK BEFORE YOU COME IT GETS BOOKED UP FAST) You can do this over the internet. YOu are also just a short walk away from the old part of Jerez with its cobbled streets and ' atmosphere'. From the hotel you can walk three minutes to your left as you come out of it and find on pavement level the sign for the tourist bus. You can buy a day pass which gives you unlimited travel. The kiddies loves sitting at the top, open topped, it was one of their highlights. From here we went to the cathedral which was amazing...the ceilings are beautiful as are all the decorations that you find there. My six year old daughter loved it as she found it so spoooooky ( it was near to halloween!) They have lovely stained glass windows there too. The zoo is too far too walk to but a short drive in the car or take the bus....it only takes a few minutes but Jerez is fiddly to drive to, especially the old part which has narrow streets and is like a maze. The zoo was very cheap to get into ( the cathedral was free) and rather rundown but you get to see the only white tiger in Spain. You can also pay a couple of euros and take the mini bus/train around the zoo as it is large with lots of trees. The restaurant there is pretty grotty and not cheap but if you are hungry you can at least grab something. We went to the bodega by the tourist bus that sells the Tio Pepe sherry.....it is the only one still owned by the original family. The tour welcomes children we have three ( 8, 6 and 3) and it kept them amused. In fact the tour is very slick and last a fair while. The tours splits into your native language too which is good. Go for the 2pm tour as you get tapas at the end. Lots of sherry to try and cheese, Spanish ham, crisps, was a fab end to the tour and I am glad we didn't miss the experience. Youll also see the little sherry glass on the floor and ladder for the mice ( kids liked that) and a room that has been not touched for over a hundred years since the man that worked there died ( needs some Mr Sheen polish, but great again for the children...spoooooky!) There was a film show which was great about the history of the bodega which the children found dull, but they sat through it and were fine. You learn about the whole sherry making and brandy business, the making of the barrells and you see all the famous signatures on some of the barrells that people such as Speilberg, presidents, thatcher, movies starts etc have signed. There is a shop at the end to buy things which is large. The kids also enjoyed the little bus/train ride at the start of the tour so don't be put off going if you have young children, they will be ok. If all else fails bribe them with a treat if they are good at the end at the shop...lots of pencils, keyrings, tshirts, funny rubber things that I know now what they are..but my six year old bought one...........
Back to the hotel we didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment on that. The room price was great and I was very happy with the room for the price we paid. The only negative was that the bathroom had been done up on the cheap, whilst the bedroom had been done properly. The floor was awful and the loo seat had a chink of enamel out of it and the grouting was pretty awful too....it was clean though let me stress that I AM VERY FUSSY, but a few more changes would have made the bathroom so much more presentable. By the way for those of you that like to use the bathroom toiletries in the hotel..these are REALLY GOOD> I bought mine home to give as pressies...................I would suggest that you take a room away from the main road. We were up high but at night those darn mopeds took some getting used to even with double glazing. We went in October and I left the window open only an inch one night and my three year old was bitten badly by a mosquito so I suggest you keep the windows shut even if you are high up as I was. The temperature in the hotel room was fine. The staff were friendly enough, gave us free maps when requested . If you want a hotel that is not expensive but in a good location, then this is for you. I was really REALLY pleased with this hotel and we had a great time in Jerez.

14 Thank Merryweather10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2003

I can't fault the NH Avenida - it is really good VFM with a nice restaurant and bar and good, if smallish rooms. It is set out of the old town centre, but is no more than 15 minutes walk away from all the main bodegas. It lacks a garden or pool, but at the price you can't grumble...

4 Thank Tony C