“Will never go back”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
UK
“Will never go back”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our hotel was a couple of doors from La Cepa de Oro so we went in for lunch. Waiter was very helpful and gave us a menu in English. I was there with my husband and I orderd a selection of fried fish. It did not take long for food to appear and although my husbands chicken was OK, my fish had an horrible smell. Having thought it was only in my mind, I had a couple of bites and had to call the waiter back-the fish stank to high heaven. The waiter tried to replace the dish with something else but the idea was enough to put me off. I had a few slices of Manchego cheese instead in an effort to get rid of the horrid taste and smell. When it came to paying the bill-WE WERE CHARGED THE FULL PRICE FOR THE ROTTEN FISH. Would you go back to a place like this? I know I will not!!!!!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank BallouUk

Plainview, New York
“Excellent service, average food, great sherry selection”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stopped here right off the plane into Jerez. There were lunch menu specials. Good price. Home-mand food. Some was great, other plates not so successful. My children and I enjoyed our lunch. My wife had a not-too impressive kidney dish. Lovely old school adornments noted throughout the restaurant. The waiter was a pleasure.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Top tapas”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Passed Cepa de Oro several times on our way into the centre. Always looked authentic and populated in the main by locals and guarded by the calle's pretty jacaranda trees, we dined there.We dined outside and chose from the tapas menu. The dishes arrived swiftly and offered a finese that we had not experienced in the tapas bars in Jerez centre. The house Rioja as another reviewer has flagged is cheap and more than just a little agreeable. On the evidence of this visit we decided Cepa de Oro is not fancy but it's good. We returned on a Saturday night. We were handed a tourist menu by the same highly professional and proficient waiter who had served us on our previous visit. The tapas menu was not available. A pity because the dishes we chose were disappointingly ordinary. And the locals? Nowhere in sight. Go on a weekday and choose from the tapas menu. Our rating is based on that first visit.

• Visited May 2012
devizes
“Best Value and a Great Little Place”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I've been here this year and on two other visits to Jerez in 2006. It has always pleased me, the service is excellent, the atmosphere can be great - but on a quiet day you have to expect it to be ... quiet. If you get put out in the back room you have coices - try to find another resturant if you don't like it - if they are busy they expect you to shop around - or you can stand at the bar and eat snacks. In no way do these guys want you to do anything but enjoy your visit. Food is very reasonable with a menu of the day or a la carte. Menus of the day was 13E this March 2012 Nd included a big glass of wine and two courses. Since I've eaten here asa a non spanish speaker, about a dozen times I can tell you this is somewhere you'll definately want to try. There are some places with a better vibe, better write-ups, and more tables - but I've come back here many times. Some reviewers just need to eat out more and travel. Slagging these guys off is just not credible.

• Visited March 2012
Saintes, France
“When we lived in Jerez we ate here at least once a week”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I waited until I came back to Jerez this week to comment on recent unfavourable reviews. This has not been our experience. The Cepa d'Oro was our 'local'. Not the cheapest, but house rioja at 9EUR is good value. Local dishes [e.g. kidneys in sherry] at different prices for different size portions [tapas, raciones]. I would choose local dishes, particularly fish [which the menus says comes from Sanluccar a few kms away] but naturally that is towards the upper end of the prices.
Luis, the fantastically energetic waiter, does occasionally make mistakes but will always rectify with a smile. We have never been surprised by a bill. The menu states that there is a 1EUR cover charge per person for bread and a small tapas starter and that VAT will be added to the bill.
Outside tables - even on a busy street- are sought after and at meal times are usually reserved for groups who will eat a meal.
I am sorry that some folk had a bad experience, but the first thing we did when we got back into town was to go and eat there. We were happy.

• Visited March 2012