“looks good on the outside”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Surendranagar
Hotel Shiv International
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here for 12 days with 3 colleagues, staying in 2 rooms between the 4 of us. We were working on a project in nearby Dhrangadhra. While I don't doubt that this is one of the nicer hotels in the area, I would say that by western standards it was horrible. The first thing that bothered me were the cockroaches in our room, which I had to quickly get used to. The second were the cockroaches in the restaurant. Not only were they on the floor, but at breakfast in the morning I always saw at least one IN THE FOOD! Needless to say, I did not continue to eat breakfast there. We generally ate dinner there in the evenings because we would be working late and had no other options, and the table cloths were clearly never cleaned the entire 12 days either. We consistently sat at the same 2 tables and if we spilled something, the stain remained there. If we came in during the day, we often saw them sorting the silverware on the bare floor. The food at dinner in the restaurant was decent, but I do NOT recommend "Pizza town", that was not good. In our entire 12 day stay our room was not cleaned once. On the 8th day, someone came in saying he was going to clean the bathroom, but simply walked in, flushed the toilet and left!! They did not even clear the trash bins until we started to just leave the trash outside the door for them to collect. The reception desk was ok. At checkout they were very unorganized, but we did not have any major issues there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Reena S

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is one of those places where they've spent a decent amount on the facade and communal areas, but the rooms and service are not up to scratch. Firstly, yet another hotel with no power points. Just one spare, and an adapter had to be requested to make it function properly. So few are the plugs for example, that there was actually a completely redundant fridge in the room as there was nowhere for it to be plugged in. The room itself was reasonably spacious and was clean enough, although our bedding was changed just once in 4 nights and cleaning largely involved moving existing dust and dirt around the room.

Breakfast from the buffet offered a decent variety, but none of it was particularly nice. Most of the 'hot food' was cold and left me wondering if it was the same poha put out day after day. One morning the bread put out was covered with blue mould. Room service food the same - nothing horrendous but everything was just not particularly great - plus they consistently got orders wrong. For example "cold coffee with ice cream" arrived as just a glass of overly sweet room temperature coffee. India really is too full of places that try and offer a huge menu (Pizza, Chinese, Punjabi, South Indian etc) and end up doing none of it very well, rather than just sticking to a higher quality more limited list. Also very disappointing that there are zero Gujarati items on a 7-8 page menu.

The real problem with this place is service. Everything was either painfully slow, or not what was asked for. For example, when the phone in our room was broken it took multiple trips to reception with lengthy waits in between for them to eventually send up a replacement. Laundry is also ridiculously expensive for a place like this - for example Rs 45 for mens underwear - and my colleague's white shirt was returned with numerous small black marks on.

As I say, the rooms are ok, so if you have to stay here (very little choice in town) then I would advise that you try and use the hotel services as little as possible. For those of us there on business (and I would guess that very few tourists come here) this is often difficult to realistically achieve. In most hotels, I'm not too bothered about service and try and eat outside for all meals, however, in a business hotel these are important, and this place fails on too many levels I'm afraid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SebT82
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Everytime that i visit Surendranagar & visit Hotel Shiv International it amazes me. the quality of food, stay & accomodation at this place in such a small town is outstanding.

the breakfast as well as in room dining options are huge & delicious. Would not imagine getting italian, chinese, continental etc at this small town. the hotel is beautiful with a huge car park. the lobby & reception is very positive & pleasant. they have a capsule lift as well.

i experienced the suite which was very neat, clean & comfortable. lunch & dinner was at their inhotel restaurant called Gopi. Awesomely delicious & mouth watering food. i savoured the sizzlers, chinese & italian food during my stay.

all in all great place, awesome price doesnt feel like a small city hotel!

a definite must go1

Room Tip: the suite is my all time favourite
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sakshimalik
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Hotel, at the rate it offers, is definately a good place to stay. We stayed in November 2012. Our room was clean and stay was comfortable. We didnt try the food at the hotel, but for the rest we found the staff to be helpful and courteous.

We would recommend the hotel to other visitors.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saurabh_Kamdar
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Had to stop in transit to Jamnagar, so stayed for a night @ hotel shiv international. Brilliant hotel, with all state of art facilities, multi cuisine restaurants & lots more. The hotel staff was very cooperative & helpful.

Did not expect such a good experience in a small city of Gujarat. Not only the staff but the owner Harry also personally took great care of us.

Super awesome experience.

Room Tip: the suite is really great
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sakshimalik
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Hotel Shiv International, Surendranagar, Gujrat, India.
Date : August 2011
It was my official visit to Surendranagr with my office colleagues.
For us it was going to be a tiring experience till late night.
We were there for 3 days.
We were shock by seeing the hotel, "Never Expected Good Hotel in Surendranagar."
It was so clean with good lobby and rooms.
Service was good but with slow pace, but it was ok with a low cost (Rs.1200/day).
overall good experience.