“A nice hotel badly let down by its restaurant!”

Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Soestduinen
Braine-l'Alleud, Belgium
“A nice hotel badly let down by its restaurant!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel has good points and lots of potential. It's in a lovely location, surrounded by a forest. Lots of walking, cycling and jogging just on your doorstep. It's a lovely calm and quiet hotel and the rooms are spacious, clean and quiet. The reception staff are friendly and helpful. We were having a nice time and feeling happy and relaxed until we unfortunately entered the restaurant. I had read other negative reviews of the restaurant and to be honest I never expect to eat fantastically well in any large chain hotel restaurant because they are usually below stand alone restaurant standards, but, even with fairly low expectations I was genuinely shocked. It's a small restaurant and wasn't particularly busy. An army of staff but the service was pretty poor. Actually our waiter was a little odd. I couldn't decide if he was just trying to be amusing or was just strange. He kept on doing things like constantly repeating himself when we clearly understood the first time. When he bought our drinks he said cheers and just stood staring at us! The said cheers again and finally walked off. My partner asked for another glass of wine and because the service was so slow and I had less than half a small glass of beer left I decided to ask for another as well. He actually said to me "of course but not until you have finished your drink". We were constantly nonplussed by him. Of course he took so long to return to our table with a bottle of Rioja and glass for my partner that my drink was finished. After his usual showing her the label twice he tried to walk away. So I showed him my empty glass and asked for my drink. Sometime later he bought me my drink. And so it went on all night long. No wine menu for us to look at, he cleared our plates and glasses and never offered us another drink. It was just odd. As for the food...... it took over an hour from arriving at the restaurant for our food to finally arrive and I was genuinely shocked at the presentation of my meal. It consisted of a baked potato cut on half and baked so it was totally dry inside, a piece of pork with a couple of blobs of barbecue sauce on and 4 boiled spring onions. That was it. One of the most unappetising meals I have ever been given. It was warm, not hot, but I was so hungry by the time it arrived that I asked for some butter for the potato and ate it. My partners meal was not a lot better. Underwhelming puddings. We were just relieved to leave the restaurant and escape in the end.

Breakfast was well below the usual Hilton standards. Hot food was oily and cold. Pastries not much better. Breakfast on the second day was even worse. We were completely ignored. Offered no drinks, food from the kitchen. I had to get up and find someone to get a coffee. Someone sat next to us and I noticed they also had problems being served.

The whole food/restaurant situation at this hotel is unacceptable and really lets the hotel down. I am not the first person to complain, I doubt I will be the last and I suspect it will be the usual apology followed by we will pass this on to the department head.

If we ever stay at this hotel again it will be on a bed only basis. No amount of bribery or persuasion will get me in that restaurant again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Annelyne v, Front Office Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear sir,

Thank you for your comments on this website. I would like to personally reply to you and take your feedback to improve the services and products we offer. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and helpfulness of our front desk team.

We are undergoing constant change to improve the guest experience and I hope to welcome you back in the future to experience this for yourself.

Thank you for staying with us at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen.

Kind Regards,

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed her seven years ago, and had nothing put praise for the hotel and staff then, and even more so now! The staff are friendly and always greet you with a smile. The breakfast is fantastic and we ate at the restaurant every evening, first class! spa is still one of the best, very reasonable price wise, as is the bar in the hotel. Great value for money, an excellent three night break! A big thank you to all the staff! See you again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Annelyne v, Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dir Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for your friendly review. I am glad to read that once again you had a great time in our Hotel. We are looking forward to see you again in Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen.

The Hague
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hotel facilities are good value for the price we paid. The golf course is nice but does not pretend to be more than a simple resort course. The hotel's location is nowhere near other restaurants or other facilities but that is part of its charm. All the facilities you would need are a five minute drive. But the best way to get around is to walk o ride bikes, The Soest location is famous for its beautiful forests and some interesting sand dunes. It is definitely worth a visit, and I would go back there if I had occasion to be in that part of the Netherlands again, just a short break is nice there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Annelyne v, Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you very much for the feedback you gave us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen in the near future.

With kind regards,
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Matters not at this hotel whether you play or not! Plenty of other things to do, like swim, work-out, have a facial...
We enjoyed some of the above, but would like to come back and sample the rest.
Vicinity in which it is situated is one of the best in the Netherlands. Luxury indeed.
Our room was ample, the bed comfortable, very happy with the pillows! I loved the clean... Good job!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Annelyne v, Front Office Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear madam,

Thank you very much for giving your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The location is something unique -- not in or near a city center but in a wooded area overlooking a golf course. So if you're visiting the Netherlands perhaps it is not so convenient to go to Amsterdam or even Utrecht from this hotel.

But the flip side of its secluded location is that it is very quite and enjoyable. The staff is indeed very friendly and professional -- both at the front desk and in the bar/restaurants. Food is good -- even the 20 euro burger is well worth it. The spa and pool is fairly big and again enjoyable.

The rooms are spacious as well including the bathroom. The only thing -- and this is fairly important -- I'd want them to improve would be the bed. It was springy and not very comfortable at all.

So overall, this is a very good hotel and you can be sure that your stay will be very comfortable and relaxing. But be sure you have a car.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Annelyne v, Front Office Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Jay,

Thank you very much for providing us with feedback on Tripadvisor. It is good to read that you have enjoyed our hotel during your stay in Holland.

If you wish to make future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at reservations.soestduinen@hilton.com.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Lovely hotel about 30 minutes away from Amsterdam. Located in a very secluded area, in pine woods, overlooking the golf course. Lovely big rooms, very comfortable beds and large bathrooms. Very relaxing atmosphere, rooms are quite spread out, so you don't hear any noise. Hotel has a pool, gym, sauna and a steam room, which is great for chilling out after Amsterdam sightseeings. We went to Amsterdam for a day by train from a nearby Amersfoot station, direct to Amsterdam Centraal, super convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Annelyne v, Front Office Manager at Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Inga,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay with us on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed the Hilton Royal Parc in Soestduinen for your holidays in Holland.
If you wish to make reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at reservations.soestduinen@hilton.com.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

this Hilton is about 30 minutes drive out of Utrecht, but I do like it, and reasonable rates, the staff are very friendly and helpful.
It is a modern hotel, and you do need transport, car or bicycle although I did see a horse and carriage making trips whilst I was there!

Room Tip: If you get a chance visit Amersfoort, a very nice small streets pedestrianised town