“Nice room, but some real problems”

Holiday Inn Milan Linate
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed one night here in order to catch a morning flight at Linate. First, understand that the airport isn't adjacent to the hotel, it's a10-minute drive away. Our room was nice, with a comfortable bed, sparkling bathroom, good shower. But when we tried to get a drink from the bar at 10:20 pm on a Saturday night, no one was tending the bar. Sign indicated it is open until midnight. After a few minutes, a staff member came over and asked us to wait, said he would serve us after he had "finished his service" in the restaurant. We peeked in the restaurant; only two tables were occupied. We asked if he would prefer we come into the restaurant. Only if you are going to order food, he said. So we waited at the bar for 30+ minutes, then gave up. Not a huge big deal. But the NOISE! The gelateria\pizzeria just up the road was blasting disco music, obviously some kind of outdoor dance, so sleep was impossible until their little gig finally ended, around 1 am. And evidently the walls are thin, because in the morning I heard other people's alarms going off. It was nice that the hotel has a shuttle to the airport, which we were told leaves on the half hour. At7:30 am we were outside beside the parked shuttle and had to ask at the desk to have the driver alerted. I recommend staying in central Milano near the sights and attractions and taking a taxi to the airport, no matter how early your flight is.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan Linate, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear TheatreCouple,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent visit at our hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. We are very sorry for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stay here quite regularly and am always surprised at how incredibly average it is. They just need to give the lift an overhaul and that would make such a difference! My experinece is that in general, Italian hotel staff believe they are better than their guests, but at least here the staff are fine. It is always busy, so hey Mr Manager, how about investing some money by changing the confusing lift controls and replacing the damaged and scratched lift doors that greet you as you walk through the lobby?!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan Linate, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear David M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the common areas of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a stop over for a night. Beds are comfy, plenty of TV channels, hot shower, exactly whats required for Linate airport I guess.
You can hear a lot from adjacent rooms however, toilets flushing that sort of thing however I don't get the vibe thats its a busy hotel so all in all was quite quiet.

Shuttle service is very handy. Departure zone 4 upstairs, yes you do have to phone hotel in advance and they will collect every 30 minutes should the requirement be there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Shuttle from airport to hotel was really a problem. We arrived at Linate Airport and no one could provide a secure information about the service. Initially airport information sector said I should wait at landing exit 4. We stayed there for one hour and a half and nothing happened. Back to information sector, a new person said I had to call up the hotel, but there were no telephones available. I was travelling without a cell phone so it was a hard work to obtain a phone in a foreign land from foreign people talking foreign language. It was a hard mission to board that promised shuttle that should run each 30 minutes without any customer action!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank rpontesbr
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan Linate, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear rpontesbr,

Thank you for your business and your review. We take all comments seriously and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

I am sorry to hear your issues with our shuttle service. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you and deeply regret the poor customer service you have encountered.

We welcome feedback as it assists us in our never ending task to better ourselves and improve things for our guests. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Once again, thank you for your comments.

Dhan M

Reviewed August 4, 2013

If your just staying here to catch a plane at Linate then it's fine. The rooms are good and the price is quite low. They do have a convenient shuttle bus to the airport that runs on time every 30 minutes. The breakfast buffet is one of the best we had in Europe, a surprise for the somewhat low room rates.

My one bugaboo is they charge for Wi-Fi. That just starches my shorts when hotels do that. This to me is like making me pay for using the tap water. But with the low rate I guess it's expected.

If you use H.I.s online reservation system watch your credit card statement. They charged my card at the time of the reservation instead of just holding the number. It took me months to resolve this as the hotel refused to admit they had charged my card even though I had my statement. And corporate Holiday Inn was the most useless feeble entity in resolving this. But in the end I was not charge twice for a single stay. Just watch your statements.

Room Tip: Any room is fine, just staying here for airport access.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan Linate, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear CactusBadger,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am very pleased that you liked our breakfast selections. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the overall dissatisfaction and inconvenience you have experienced during your a stay with us. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

Karen G.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in June. My wife had to fly to the UK after we got to Milan, so we stayed at the Holiday Inn so she could make her early flight. For that purpose, the hotel is a 4 or 5 star. It is well situated (5 minutes from the airport) and they run a shuttle every 30 minutes or so to the airport (be prepared to call when you arrive, or wait outside door number four on the departures level upstairs from arrivals). The reason I give it three stars is the location of the hotel for the rest of Milan and the fit and finish of place, which isn't bad, but isn't great (4 star) or outstanding (5 star). The details:

Location/Transport: As I mention above, great for the airport, horrible for everything else in Milan. To get to the city centre, take the hotel shuttle to the airport, then go downstairs, find the bus stand for bus 73 or bus X73 (right next to each other), purchase a ticket at the (orange I think) ticket machines (Euro 1.50 for a ticket good for 90 minutes on city transport) and validate on the bus. The X73 is a better option for getting into the city, as it only makes 1 stop before the city centre, but it runs for relatively limited hours.

Rooms: Fit and finish is ok. My wife and I had a double/queen room, which was basically two twin beds pushed together. Not horrible, but not a real double bed either. Room size is ok, and the bathroom is adequate, although the shower is a bit small (I'm 6'2"). It was clean, and welcome after a long flight. Like I said, nothing wrong with it at all, just not great or outstanding either. Maybe when I was less well traveled, I would have given it a 4 star.

Hotel: Was fine. Hotel staff spoke English. Internet is pay to use, but only for time used (i.e. you pay only for the time you spend on the internet) and very quick, so not too bad. We didn't eat there, so cannnot comment on the food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Milan Linate, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Jarrod H,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed on a Sunday night, which I recommend, because the hotel was very quiet, The shuttle to/from Linate is excellent, and the driver very helpful if you have a lot of baggage (which we had). This hotel is in a leisure area of Milan, next to a big lake favoured by locals, especially on a hot Sunday afternoon. But, once the locals have gone home it it is very quiet, and no noise from the airport.Dinner was fine, but we had to assert ourselves to get the "special" 23 euro menu advertised in the elevator. However, having witnessed the chaos of Linate the next morning, it's still best to eat there,and not shuttle to the airport. The room was very good, aircon excellent, and a walk-in shower cubicle most appreciated. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Very quiet at the weekend
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Air Hotel Linate
Air Hotel Linate
#2 of 5 in Segrate
Starhotels Business Palace

Been to Holiday Inn Milan Linate? Share your experiences!