“A hidden little gem” 4 of 5 bubbles

I Pini Family Park
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“A hidden little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Just back from a super week at I Pini which is a superb little gem just outside Fiano Romana north of Rome. It is perfect for young families but my teenage children had a brilliant time thanks to the extremely hardworking YF team of Caio, Lars and Mandy. They never stopped from morning until night with sports competitions and evening entertainment. I must also praise the reception staff who could not do enough for holidaymakers. They were just so pleasant and enormously helpful. We stayed in a Thomson Al Fresco chalet (our fifth time with them) which was excellent but anyone going to I Pini in high season must have some form of air conditioning as it was 38 most days. The beauty of this small site is that all activities take place in and around either the pool or stage area which means you continually bump into the same people and make friends very easily. I Pini is perfectly placed for Rome and like a previous reviewer we hired a car but decided to take the bus from the site which at 8 euros was so much easier. We also drove to the Hydromania water park for a great day out,
To get around it is probably best to take your own car or hire one as Fiano Romano is a small place with shops which are spread out. There are also outlets and discount stores nearby but once again, these are more easily accessed by car. A weekly treat is the local market which offers some bargains and look out for the MD supermarket which was really cheap.
One huge tip for anyone driving from Rome is to take a detailed map or check your sat nav as so many people get caught out leaving the motorway. When you drive through the tolls you must double back and take the sign which says Roma/Fiano Romano and then take the first slip road into Fiano Romano. I wasn't the only one who ended up heading to Napoli with no way of turning round for 30 kms... Others ended up heading back to Rome. An easy mistake. I would have benefited from this advice as I had Google Map directions and still got lost... Happily, it was only a minor setback and did not spoil our fine holiday.
If you are looking for a large park with lots of pools and slides then I can fully recommend Duinrell in Holland but if it's a small, clean, family friendly site with a gateway to the Eternal City and other delights of Italy then I Pini is the perfect place to stay... Divertiti!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ian s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Portadown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

This is a great little campsite, perfect for families with younger children, our girls are 6 & 9 and they thoroughly enjoyed their time at I Pini as did we! We usually stay at much larger campsites ( e.g. Bella Italia and Norcenni) so we were a little concerned that it might be too quiet for us but there was plenty to keep us entertained. The pools were good, we particularly liked the lagoon style pool as it was so safe and the slide was good fun. We hired a car but decided to use the site run coach to go into Rome as it was only 8 euros return! We thought this was really good value and meant we didn't have to worry about negotiating our way around Rome. We went into Rome twice as there is too much to see on just one trip. We also spent a day at Rainbow Magicland, which is a relatively new theme park at Valmontone. It is no Gardaland or Eurodisney but having said that we had a super day there. We went on a Monday and it wasn't overly busy which meant we didn't have to queue for rides. The facilities on the campsite were good, we ate at the restaurant a number of times and enjoyed the food. The YF team were great and our girls loved all the activities and the disco every night (they are still singing the songs!!). All in all a super wee holiday!

Room Tip: Site supermarket is quite espensive, go into Fianno Romano to shop,it's much cheaper. Make sure...
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank smahaz
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The campsite looks really nice, there is a lot of green and the bugalows and tents look decent. The swimming pool etc are also kindof nice. But the organization 'Top deck' organizes party holidays for australians, and every night the campsite is full of drunk noisy australians doing all sorts of disgusting things until 4am.. It was particularly bad in the tents, but better when we moved to a bungalow, with thicker walls. We didn't sleep all week. For the rest, most staff members weren't friendly, it was quite far from the center of rome and only the pizza in the restaurant was okay.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Visitor333
Brighton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

On our first night we had a hilarious experience where the guy we met as we arrived introduced himself and invited us with him to the toga party, we were exhausted and stayed in that night. At about 3am someone came into our tent and went to bed. Woke up the next morning only to find a different man in the bed opposite us... Very confused! To leave we needed to know that he had a key of his own to lock up as there was no where else to leave our backpacks other than the house tent. I carefully woke the sleeping stranger and asked him if he had a key. Very confused and hungover he replied he didn't but he'll find it.Turned out theirs no spare keys at reception for him so we had to wait while him and the guy who was originally in our tent found the key. This wasted a lot of our day, it would have made more sense to have spare keys don't you think! Since this is a partying campsite they're more likely to get lost I'd think.

Very cheap, basic accommodation (house tent), remember not to leave the door open with a light inside! Bugs bugs bugs!! We almost gassed ourselves with bug spray on the last night as we'd not closed the door while we went to the shop.
The shop sold everything we wanted and it seemed pretty cheap. There was also a large supermarket opposite a busy road.
Using computers was expensive but the staff were good with giving information about Rome so we didn't need to look things up. They let us use their computer and printer for free when we were in a rush to print out boarding passes for the next day.
Airport transfers were cheap and the driver was lovely and hilarious!
The jacuzzi at the pool was freezing! but the pool and bar were nice.
The toilets were rammed at night with preening girls getting ready for whatever themed party was going on, but not a rammed as the bus into the city the next morning!
The bus journey was quite long and as it was so busy you had little chance of getting a seat... (might be a problem for some people)
There was a separate washing up type room next to the showers and toilets, which was good for us to do our plates and forks etc. The showers were a great temperature, but they were very busy!
There's nothing good in walking distance, but the bus stop is right outside.
I didn't like the restaurant food but my friend liked what she had so it was a bit hit and miss.
There were clothes washing facilities even though we didn't need them and the staff spoke a lot of languages.
Overall it was a good campsite but I'd only go back again on more of a 'party' holiday with a big group of friends rather than a relaxing backpacking holiday as it's most definitely a party atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank G-Mercedes
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I've stayed at various plus hostels and camp sites, as usual this didn't disappoint. We stayed in a twin cabin which had a third bunk with it's own bathroom. While this is older than it's Florence counterpart(and if you go to both you can really tell the difference) it is even better.

As someone who has been to Rome before I didn't mind staying outside the city centre. But the public transport isn't bad from the site. There is a bus stop at the front door and the closest main sites are approx 4 metro stops away.

The Ciao Bella restaurant on site is a cheap but still authentic Italian eat. If you are on more of a budget each cabin shares a picnic table with the one attached to eat. Simply head down to the supermarket on site or the one across the road.

The only down side as with any Plus site as there is a clear party atmosphere. Though they do shut down all noise at 2am and clear anyone off the camp sites next to the bar are not the best place if you actually want to sleep.

Room Tip: Camping sites near the bar are very noisey if you want to sleep. Any cabins don't have this prob...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Allyce B
Traveller
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

on the first night here we had a tent to ourself then we stayed in the city of rome as waiting for the bus was time consuming and we didn't want to waste any time in Rome.
The campsite however was clean with plenty of showers and toilets also very clean.
Though I do warn you its very much a "Party" atmosphere and my partner and I got no sleep.

Room Tip: Not sure but the tents were very noise so maybe the Cabins?
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Note: Trip was taken in June 2006, but Tripadvisor won't let me choose that date.

This place is so fun . I went when I was probably in my mid 20's and my roomate and I had a blast. We were on a free educational trip (we're teachers) and were not looking into the party scene that they had at night in the bar area, but we still had a very good time. The cabins are small but the beds are really comfortable. We had hot water and a very good air conditioner! The "take away" pizza is a steal of a deal and in a convenient and central location. This place is not fancy, but I think that's what makes it so fun!!! I also like that it was not in the Rome proper area, felt very safe. I cannot say enough good things about this place!!

Room Tip: Splurge and get a cabin. We got it for like $20/night. You'll still be roughing it but I think...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
#976 of 1,291 in Rome
Camping Village Roma
#43 of 1,065 in Rome
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,349 reviews

Been to I Pini Family Park? Share your experiences!