“Poor, out of town hotel”

ibis Budget Paris Porte d'Italie Est
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kremlin Bicetre
Dewsbury
“Poor, out of town hotel”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel is located on the fringes of Paris and offered for me, the only sub 50 euro hotel in the whole of the city that wasn't a hostel.
It is 10 stops on the metro from Chatelet on line 1.
The location is pretty much a main road with the Paris circular on a road some 20ft underneath. Not a great location by all accounts, but other than distance, not a bad one either. But there a few amenities nearby and the hotel vending machine is very expensive, even for Paris. In terms of travelling to Paris, for the price it's a reasonable location if you have easily manageable baggage for the metro and 10 minute walk from the metro to the hotel.

For an Etap the hotel is probably at the lower end of the scale in terms of look and feel. It is certainly a few years past it's sell by date. Check in was fine, the girl didn't speak English and the only French I know is something about a threesome. I had the kids with me and so quickly checked in and went to the room. Well, I thought it was a room, it's actually a broom cupboard and is probably smaller than a prison cell (though I wouldn't know) it is definitely the smallest hotel room I have ever seen and the light is really bad making the room dingy and bearable at most.
There was me and my two young kids and I was a but miffed to find the upper bed wasn't made, just a few sheets piled up. There was also only two pillows and two towels despite there being three people on the booking.
I went to reception and a guy had appeared, after waiting an age for him to finish his cell phone call he asked what I wanted. I asked whether he had an extra pillow, he looked at me like I had just asked to sleep with his mother, and was obviously confused. It's my fault, I don't speak French and was in France, but when he finally realised what I was talking about he said "it's a cushion, you should be clear in your description" I explained that he was French, I was English and that in England we actually called it a pillow. He mocked me in French to his little side kick and just shrugged saying he didn't have one. He didn't even bother to pretend to check. Just a simple "no, no cushion" as we walked to the elevator I could see his reflection and he was laughing and mocking us. Having two young children I wasn't about to start having a public argument and so just retreated back to the room.
I guess sometimes you get what you pay for, eg a hotel miles out of the city, few local amenities, fewer towels and pillows than the guests in the room and a receptionist that couldn't care less if he tried.
We soon realised the walls were paper thin and seriously hoped we would get a good night - it didn't happen and I had one of the worst nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. My kids were the same and asked "we aren't staying here again are we" as it happened we weren't and if we had have been I'd have checked out in any case.
As we left, dreary eyed, tired and facing the walk back to the metro I promised myself I'd never let costs make us stay in such a place again.

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else....
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank stu.bec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Accept that Etap is like F1 chain. Cheap, cheerful - functional and not the usual definition of a "hotel" and you will not be disappointed.

Basic, clean, small double bed only, and thin (!) single bunk bed hanging over the double bed. It appears there are NO twin rooms (unlike F1) ie two single beds for friends, so you argue who is going to climb on top and make the bed. Not for 3 full size adult friends, unless two of you are a couple...(Its sold as 2-3 beds)

No wardrobe. Single plug socket miles away from either bed.

Its a very SMALL room, so if you're big or have big luggage you will struggle. Shower & toilet room is TINY, again big or tall people may feel claustrophobic as you have turn on the spot and not do much, in the bathroom.

Clean though, good for students, 1-2 nights only, those on a budget - or those not staying in their room other than sleep only. As someone else put it in Reviews below, its a "big train sleeper" room really.

BUT - it really is only 5 minutes to the nearest Metro. We booked so far in advance we saved 20% of the advertised rack room rate, which made this value for money. I would not have paid full rate though for what we got.

Having stayed in F1 "hotels" but never Etap chain - I had no surprises, but my friend did...I reminded them how cheap it was and we needed only to sleep and had little luggage (there's no where to put anything bigger than a cabin size bag, in my humble opinion).

As a solo traveler I would find it more than OK for up to 3-4 nights even. With a friend even a close one, you got to be good mates (!)

American folks used to big rooms even in cheap motels, may be shocked their broom cupboards are twice the size...

If it cramps you that much, a proper Novotel is just next door with prices x3 to match.

Room Tip: Away from the lift well, doors are thin like Youth Hostel rooms. Towels are hand size only.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 8, 2012

clean, nearby, friendly staff

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was just staying one sunday night in this hotel, before leaving Paris for work the next morning. The room was very small but clean, it had no wardrobe, small comfortable attached bathroom, a tv and pretty fast internet.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Novotel Paris 13 Porte d'Italie
#1 of 5 in Kremlin Bicetre
Ibis Paris Porte d'Italie
Ibis budget Paris Porte d'Orleans

Been to ibis Budget Paris Porte d'Italie Est? Share your experiences!