“Only to attend HEC meetings or business meetings in Saclay”

Best Western Plus Paris Val De Bievre
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jouy en Josas
Toulouse, France
“Only to attend HEC meetings or business meetings in Saclay”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is in a very isolated place, you cannot do anything without a car.
The TV and video on demand system of the rooms are not very modern.
I was also very disturbed by the lift that are making noise (so please ensure that your room is not close to the lift).
The bar is ok and the restaurant also (but the menus are the same since years).

Room Tip: Do not take a room close to the noisy lift
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jesse110566

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I travel to HEC for business 2 - 3 times a year, for 1 - 2 weeks at a time, and have been coming here for the last 3 years. I have stayed in the Best Western each time, not even thinking of trying to find another hotel to stay at. One very important change that happened recently: there is a new supermarket and restaurant across the street from the hotel which was not there a year ago. This makes a HUGE difference for people who are staying in Jouy, especially on the weekend, since it used to be difficult, if not impossible, to get a good meal during the day and evening. The hotel does have a restaurant, but there were times when it was not open, and I'm not a fan of the room service menu.

Regarding the hotel itself:

Room: The rooms are great for business travelers. They are always very clean, the bed is large and comfortable and there is a large desk in each room so it's very easy to be productive. The bathroom is large by Paris standards, and served its purpose well. I guess my only gripe would be that there were only 2 English TV stations, and both were CNN.

Internet: Internet is offered for free through Orange. It is not particularly fast, and I found that it kicked me off the network quite often for no apparent reason. If you need to use Skype, you will likely run into problems. Also, you cannot connect to Netflix in France with a Canadian account, so you will need to install a VPN on your laptop or tablet in order to enjoy the comforts of home here (there are a lot of cheap / free options out there. I used "Cloak" which is available in the Apple app store, and costs $8/month for 20GB of data transfer.)

Location: The hotel is right on the HEC campus, directly across the street from the new MBA building. If you are doing any sort of work at HEC, this should be your go-to hotel. However if you're visiting Paris, and think you may save some $$$ by staying outside of the city, this hotel is not the best choice. You can take a train into Paris, but it stops running early in the evenings. And taxi's do not like coming to Jouy, so it's not easy to get one to pick you up. The business school used a car service for me, since regular taxi service was terrible (I once almost missed my flight because the taxi decided to not show up, even though it was booked a week in advance, and the school called the day before my departure to confirm.)

Service: Service is, well, average. Of course when I think of "average", I'm always reminded of the saying that goes something like "your hair is on fire, and your butt is frozen, but your temperature is average." I look at the service at this hotel in a similar way. During my first stay, service was terrible. The restaurant was closed when it was supposed to be open, I had to run down to the lobby to pick up things I needed (like an iron and ironing board) since they would not bring them to my room. At night, the front desk person would not always be around, and they would lock the front doors. So if you arrived back late, you had to bang on the door to get back in. However, over time, service has gotten much better. My most recent trip (Nov 2012) was great from a service standpoint - we got free espresso when we arrived and had to wait for our room, the restaurant was open when it was supposed to be, and the front desk staff was very helpful, and I never had to wait to get in the hotel when I arrived back late at night.

So, I will keep going to the Best Western in Jouy. That is, unless they build a Mariott across the street, next to the supermarket.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Darren L
Montpellier, France
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Location is ideal if you're visiting HEC for training or conferences. But beware the location is way out of Paris and Versaille.

It got better now that a supermarket has opened on the other side of the road.

But if you're not with a car prepare to spend money on taxis (and wait a lot) cause the town is far away.

There is a metro (RER C) station in the close-by town, it's 15min walk - but not to do with bags as it's steep - and there are bus that run a daily service - but are not super-frequent.

I've stayed there multiple times for 10days each - and I find the service to be regular and trustworthy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank LuigiL77
Jakarta
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The hotel is pretty much basic, as you may find the basic amenities are there, the room is quite spacious though. I would say it depends on your agenda and objective of your visit in Paris.
I travel with a group and I think I could only give my review based on my brief observation. The breakfast is again standard with only few choices, nothing much to comment. Not many things available around the hotel, there is only one supermarket around opens at 8 am.
I stayed for 2 nights, but on 2nd day I find it a bit disappointing that no replenishment for the tea, the towel smells, no additional hand towel in the bathroom.
The good thing is internet is free in the room.
So in conclusion, I would rate this hotel as average, but if you want to explore Paris then I would suggest you to find other hotels. The train station is about 20 to 30 minutes by walking and shuttle on available during weekdays, and still need to book in advanced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jakartan04
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The hotel itself was fine - rooms were of good quality, clean, safe in the room, in-room coffee/ tea supplies replenished daily. We did not eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on the quality of the food.

The location is not ideal for touring in Paris - I would only recommend the hotel to those with business in Jouy-en-Josas. While the sights of Paris are only a train ride or two away, the main problem is getting to the train station from the hotel - a good 25-30 min walk.

Which leads me to my disappointments with the hotel staff:

1) On returning to J-en-J train station at approx 10pm one night, my group and I attempted to phone a taxi to collect us - however due to our poor grasp of the French language, the taxi company lost patience with us and hung up. I proceeded to contact the hotel to request if it would be possible for them to book me a taxi. I was told that it was not possible for them to book me a taxi but they gave me a phone number of the taxi co. they normally use. This was quite disappointing for me, as I had outlined the difficulaties encountered on our initial attempt to book a taxi over the phone.

2) The taxi company that the hotel recommended did manage to understand us and collected us but the car had approx.13 euro on the metre on us entering the car, and the journey to the hotel ended up costing us 18 euro (for approx 2 mile journey). On enquiring at the hotel what the standard charge of taxi to train station, they told us that it would be 20euro. This seemed incredibly expensive compared to other taxis we got during our trip e.g. 13euro for taxi from Versaille to hotel and 20euro from Massy Pallaiseu train station to hotel.

3) On attempting to book the hotel shuttle bus to bring us to the train station on our departure date (2 days in advance), we were told that it was not possible to book it as the bus was in the garage and would not be available for our departure date. Howvever on the morning of our departure the bus was parked outside, and after initial protests by a staff member who said we had not booked in advance (baring in mind we had been told we could not book it),they did eventually agree to drop us to the station.

All in all, for a hotel located in an isolated area, I feel that they could be more accomodating in both the providing of shuttle bus services or else the booking of taxis. I would also query the rates of the taxi company used.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Cloch

Travelers are raving about these Jouy en Josas hotels

Brussels
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I cannot imagine that you could be passing J-en-J so you are doing something at HEC Paris, or hiding from the world. Genuinely a reasonable/correct place to stay when you have to be here. Very helpful local staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank FliegendeEnglaender
st paul
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The hotel and our room were very pleasant. The main draw back is that you are in the countryside, somewhat in the middle of nowhere. I was with my partner, who had business mtgs. at hotel. During the day, I wanted to travel and site see. To get anywhere, I had to walk about 2.5 mi. to train staiton in small town of J-en-Josas and there get train to Versailles, and then transfer trains to Paris. So, it was quite an effort to get into Paris from this hotel. There is a nice park (The HEC Complex) very near hotel, for scenic walks through beautiful green area. The food at hotel was only average, in fact notably tasteless croissants and baguettes- didn't know how they could mess up breadstuff when they are French!
Did manage to find an extremely charming bistro, serving breakfast and wonderful dinners, in Jouy-en-Josas. It is located right next to the Catholic Church, on the corner, as you walk to train station. (Cant recall name right now; When I find the name, will write separate restaurant review- it was a very fine place to eat, with great owners, etc.)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
#5 of 26 in Versailles
Mercure Versailles Parly 2
Mercure Versailles Parly 2
#2 of 3 in Le Chesnay

Been to Best Western Plus Paris Val De Bievre? Share your experiences!