“disappointed overall”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Reviewed September 28, 2013

we shared the mussels starter which was lovely - delicious moules, sauce and crusty bread. My partner enjoyed the hamburger, though found the smoky flavour of the cheese topping a little overpowering, and didn't think it was overall particularly outstanding. Very nice chips, dip and onion rings though - fortunately for me as I'd decided to have a double portion starter for my main - a ballantine of salmon with avocado mousse. I regretted my decision - the salmon was served cold and tasted like compressed fish flavoured with salt. The mousse could have saved it but was bland and tasteless. There was a tiny garnish of dressed leaves, fish eggs and melba toast which did not help distract from the dullness of the salmon or its heavy texture. Sharing my partner's delicious chips and dip saved the day for me! I left half of one of the ballantines and my plate was removed without enquiry of whether we'd enjoyed our food or found any problems with it. I decided not to complain but was very disappointed. My partner was served a cloudy beer which he sent back - the staff were very apologetic. We left without trying the puddings even though they sounded very tempting - didn't want to risk further disappointment.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winnie592013

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at the Crown for the odd few nights recently whilst visiting family nearby (visiting from Australia). The food is excellent and the ambience in the pub is warm and friendly. There are four double rooms which are nicely decorated and very clean. I would recommend booking either room 3 or 4 if you want to access the wifi - rooms 1 and 2 are too far from the transmitter! The Crown is my bolt hole to escape for an evening drink even if I'm not staying in one of the rooms. Great for a summer evening outside in front of the pub or at the back, or inside on the sofa next to the Inglenook fireplace in winter. Bear in mind that if you check in on weekdays, you won't be able to until after 5pm as they are shut between 3pm and 5pm.

Room Tip: Room 1 is above the kitchen (which will be in action until 10.30pm at night serving the restaurant b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our first visit to The Crown since it has reopened with Mark in the Kitchen, I am pleased to report the service is good and efficient, same decor as before which is fine. The important bit is the food, and Mark we have followed from the Gravetye Manor to The Cat at West Hoathly, The Red Lion and now the Crown.
In keeping with his history the food was excellent tasty and well presented. It is only a short drive from us so this is firmly in the top 5 in no order I can recommend the following; The Cat West Hoathly, Coach and Horses Chelwood Gate, The Griffin at Fletching and now The Crown.
Well done see you soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Yesterday June 12th we had an excellent family lunch at the Crown, we had the crab, children fish and chips and Grandad ham eggs and chips. All excellent but the real 'jewel in the Crown' was when Grandad, who is diabetic, asked if he could have two sugar lumps. Apart from being asked 'brown or white?' when they arrived they were on a little saucer with a lace cover. A very nice touch, thanks to all at The Crown! Annette (East Sussex)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This pub has recently changed hands, we did not dine in the evening but our overnight stay was not up to the standard expected for £90 a night. We arrived at 4 p.m. having put that time on the internet booking to find it difficult to gain entry and told we do not open until 5 p.m. Shown to our room which overlooked the car park, the back yard piled with boxes etc.and noise from the kitchen all night. We asked for early breakfast (7.45 and were told 8 am was the earliest and when we came down the following morning it was to a deserted pub with a member of staff sleeping on a sofa. The breakfast service was very poor. They need to look at their B&B service particularly in the middle of the week. I have family in H.K. but will never stay there again much better service and professionalism at the big chains and a private BB in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Absolutely delicious. Liver and bacon, very traditional old English food, cooked to a high standard. I was too full for dessert, but mut husband had sticky toffee pudding which he loved. I'm so gla we live close by.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Today we went for a mid afternoon Sunday lunch at The Crown.After a warm welcome from the bar staff, we were shown to our table immediately where we were offered drinks and menus by a selection of polite attentive staff, who then took our order when we were ready.The food is a true culinary delight with a great variety on offer depending on your preference. We chose Seabass and Potted Crab starters followed by traditional roast beef which was cooked to our liking - not something you see offered much in a pub for a roast dinner option, it was delicious and very filling. The food was piping hot and well presented. For dessert my husband chose Sticky Toffee Pudding, which I kindly helped him eat - a delicate sponge with toffee sauce and ice-cream.A perfect finish to a really good lunch. Thank you all at The Crown...and by the way if on our next visit we choose a very busy time to eat it will be well worth the wait!A great addition to the lovely village of Horsted Keynes.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda M

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!