“Old school meets chic but leave the breakfast room to the dinosaurs!”

Hotel Barriere Le Westminster
London, United Kingdom
“Old school meets chic but leave the breakfast room to the dinosaurs!”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Staying here was always an aspiration and finding ourselves with a free night and fancying a change - gave it the benefit.

Beautiful room yet strangely bland with stark black and White decor, all pristine but a little too Dubai and not enough Deauville!

Great service but as pricey as The Savoy and nowhere was there a beautiful room for us to sit in the common parts as the lobby and bar were very retro but not intentionally.

Would I return, probably not as long as Chateau Montreuil exists about 15km away with more charm than a charm bracelet worn by prince charming.

Room Tip: See room first as the price and the size don't always marry.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
Paris, France
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We love everything about this hotel that dates from the turn of the century and has not completely changed with the times ...
As in the years the rooms have been renovated, with sufficient facilities to rival luxury 4 star hotels but it remains that this hotel also has obvious defects.
We love the new century atmosphere in the lobby, stairs with large handrail sumptuous, spacious rooms (privilege) that overlook the park, the hotel's location in Le Touquet, which allows to Saint Jean street walk, and take the car only when you leave the "city".
We love the pool, however small it, the jacusi, sauna before dinner.
This is one of our favorite weekend when we go to Westminster.
Of course, the price is high compared to the hotel and benefits but there is no competition and we must take into account the whole weekend to enjoy your stay: hotel facilities, restaurants, beach situation, forest, golf, horses, refinement of all ...
Westminster staff recognizes you, it's always nice and we are dealing with true professionals (sometimes with the old, which has its charm)
I keep going back as we go to a pilgrimage, I love it !!

Room Tip: Room Privilege is good : n°121
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean-Louis N
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I used to think the Westminster was stuffy and dowdy, but it seems to have bucked its ideas up. I would now say it was traditional. Our room had a huge bed and the decoration was pristine and less heavy than it has been. Bathroom not modern in that there was no proper shower only a hand held tap attachment. I think proper shower fittings could have been fitted to the bath without too much upheaval, but everything sparkled. Staff pleasant, cheerful and efficient. Main restaurant had small menu, but everything cooked to perfection. Would have liked coffee/tea facilities in the room though. Had to make do with soft drinks from mini bar as I wouldn't dream of ordering room service at the crack of dawn.

Lots of golfers and business groups, but no conference folk when I stayed, mainly English. Le Touquet is very lively whatever the season. Always a pleasure to stroll around. Retains the spirit of its turn of the century heyday.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kent, England
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The Westminster is rather grand looking and certainly makes an impression on first sight, especially if approached at night with it's elegant exterior lighting. It a massive building not too dissimilar to a large palace and is located at the posher top part of LeTouquet, just down from the Casino and tree lined boulevards. I have never seen anything quite like it before.

There is an inclusive car park to the left of the hotel. Upon entry, it has an updated version of the original 1930's design - it must have looked incredible when it was first built - complete with the original working cage lift, almost as if it were part of a film set. Both the reception and concierge were friendly and professional, likewise the bar staff - I've stayed a few times and always found this to be the case. There is a bar area to the right and Michelin starred restaurant to the right called 'Le Pavillon' - which also has tables outside, looks lovely.

The rooms (I've stayed in various ones) are individually decorated in quite a unusual style for a hotel - one room had a Wedgewood look with blues and whites, one room a simpler pastel style, another had a custom black and white padded wallpaper, all very elegant and probably in keeping with the 1930's look. The bathrooms were good, some fresher than others and again in keeping with the style of the hotel, some with an art-deco feel to them.

All of the breakfasts I had were excellent, buffet style with both hot and cold food - scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, fruits, French continental, juices, cereals, really nice.

All of the occasions that I stayed at Westminster were a real treat and I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cayseven
Boston
Reviewed August 8, 2011

On a whim, I went to Le Touquet for the weekend to get out of Paris for the weekend. I was very disappointed with the condition of the hotel and the ambivalent staff. I expected the hotel to be a bit exensive given the location, but the Westminster, probably a gem in its day, was very tired and ownership is not re-investing into the property. At 300 Euro (approx $450) for the night, I expected more! All the carpets were frayed and torn. The paint was cracked, chipping and bubbling. Dogs were welcome (I am a dog lover) but the hall way on my floor smelled like it, probably for lack of modern ventilation systems. The spa was on the basement level and the only way back to your room was in these cage elevators where you would be on display in your robe through the main lobby. The elevators were so small (and I am accustom to small elevators in old European hotels) that I took the stairs every time. The hallways were stiffling hot and when I opened the door to my room, I was disappointed to find that they had not retro-fit the building with any air conditioning or at least installed ceiling fans to move the air. The plumbing was old, circa 1940's and I was disgusted when I lifted the seat to my toilet to fine stained toilet paper floating in the toilet. Later I learned that the toilet took about 3 flushes to flush but why didn't housekeeping see this if they 'sanitized' my toilet. I'm not fooled just because they folded the corners of the toilet paper. The tub was a retrofit but really small and there was hand held mounted to the wall, but no shower curtain. On my arrival evening, I went to the spa to book a massage for the next day. I took a peak to check out the pool. One was expected to walk though this pool of stagnant water in order to climb the stairs to get to the pool.. No thanks! I passed. My 'Swedish' massage was mediocre and overpriced at 115 Euro. Le Touquet is a charming sea-side town (except for the horrible 1970's high rises in the best location). I would consider going back, but I certainly would not stay at the Westminster.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank BostonBoxerMom
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed for two nights in this well known palace in le touquet Paris-plage. With many friends and ados for a three days golf trip. Breakfast was excellent and location is very convenient. The hôtel has a safe parking included in the price. Thé hôtel has the charm and the beauty of old palaces but in our bathroom this "belle époque" age was clearly visible and not convenient at all. Bed and télévision were quiet modern so why not the bathroom?

Room Tip: Great golf courses around. Do not miss LA MER at Le Touquet golf club and Belle Dune at Fort Mahon P...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Essex
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Stayed in this Hotel on a Sunday, when we arrived the room wasn't ready but as we were early not a problem. Helpful receptionist checked us in and an even more helpful concierge valet parked the car. In it's day this must have been some hotel, the lifts stairways are quite lovely. Excellent room, very large and very comfortable typical French no air conditioning.

Sadly all this was let down by the most appalling bar and terrace service staff I've ever met. To interested in chatting with their friends and playing with their mobile phones. At one point both barmen were outside gossiping away whilst 3 tables of guests wanted serving. In the end a concierge had to go and gee them up. Then we got the Gallic shrug and pout. I can put up with that in Paris but these guys were just lazy locals.

Breakfast was pricy but ok, overall liked the hotel. Magnificent location and you do get a feel of what Le Touquet must have been like in it's heyday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple