“Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Les Canailles

Les Canailles
Cuisines: French, European, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Newport, United Kingdom
“Interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a restaurant set in a wine shop, bins of wine surround the diners and the restaurant is small and intimate. Limited menu of freshly prepared well presented and tasty meals. Perhaps three starters, three mains and three deserts. Between myself and my friends we tried most of what was available, there was very little left, a good indication. Wine list you would expect to be good and it went from 11 Euros to 217 Euros, all of which could be taken with the meal or bought separately to take away. This is a good combination and the restaurant was suitably busy as was the bar area. Reception was pleasant and moved flawlessly into English which saved my poor French. Everything was well explained and suggestions were made regarding wine with food, the bill was very reasonable. Would recommend.

• Visited September 2013

Antwerp, Belgium
“Great French bistro cuisine at a fair price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This weekend I went back to Les Canailles for the second time during a trip to Le Touquet and once again, I loved it. The menu is limited (three starters, three mains and three desserts is all you get to choose from) but the selection changes almost daily, taking the seasonalities of the produce into account. On our first visit, we had the brown crab (simply cooked, cut in half and served with fresh mayonaise), a totally memorable starter. But since they are not in season now, we had the (superb) terrine, veal's head, scallops, slowly cooked veal cheeks and lamb shanks. Simple ingredients, cooked to perfection, reasonably priced,... what's not to love. And of course the wine selection is great too. Best place to eat in Le Touquet.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Evelien D
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went on a cold night in February. The whole town was quiet. The restaurant was inviting with friendly staff. Since it's also a wine shop I had them help me pick out the perfect wine for our taste and budget. Could not have been more friendly and helpful.

• Visited February 2013
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Where to have our lunch was the question? Having checked out a few likely candidates in advance we settled on Les Canailles. Midweek lunch. Warm friendly welcome. Charming place. Small and full of character. Limited luncheon menu but enough for us. 2 starters, mains and desserts. Quality food, great service & reasonable prices.133 Euros. 4 of us. 2 course each and included 2 bottles of wine plus coffees. Would definately go again.

• Visited November 2012
Banbury, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

On the site formerly occupied by Djuke's, this small and recently established (8 months) restaurant ticks all the boxes. The staff are friendly and welcoming, the food is simple, with the menu changing every day, reasonably priced and of superb quality. My pork fermier was simply superb, and when I asked the lady chef how long it had been cooking she told me 5 hours. Run by a couple on their own, they also offer a wide choice of (mainly organic, I believe) wines, which can also be bought to take away. Nothing is too much trouble for them, my portion of goose terrine was so generous I couldnt finish it, so it was whisked away and packed for me to take home. The wine list is extensive and very reasonably priced, and it is also possible to buy wine by the glass (which you get to taste beforehand, just like a bottle). Every night we were there it was fully booked, so it pays to pre-book to avoid disappointment. We'll be back on our next trip! A refreshing change and good luck to them both.

• Visited November 2012