“Two times in one weekend”
Review of Le Matisse

Le Matisse
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Ate twice here while in Le Touquet and both times food was great. Really good atmosphere in the place with the waiters all willing to engage with customers. The second time we ate, our party all had mussels to start, they were spot on. The mains were all cooked really well and we all left full and happy. Good times.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,104)

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Breakfast is good here and value for money which is not to be sniffed at in expensive Le Touquet. Traditional bagette & jams or bacon & eggs, the choice is yours for around €7/8

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stopped off here for Lunch on a wet December day with my family. The waiting staff were most helpful in finding a spare table in the packed restaurant. The service was excellent and we enjoyed good wine, an excellent Christmas beer, Mussels, and Steaks. The food was reasonably priced and they had various lunch time offers as well.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I once had the worst pizza in the world in Italy of all places. When I told the waitress that it was a c**p pizza, she said "Well you are s**t!" Thus, when this evening I had a pizza that was nearly as bad as that Italian one (or should I say, nearly as good) I kept quiet.

I have said it before in one of my reviews, how is it possible to make a bad pizza? A thin base, good quality ingredients, what can go wrong?

Well, at Le Matisse in Le Touquet you can find out!

My pizza, the "Chef Special" looked enticing. The pepperoni was there, the cheese was there, the tomato sauce was there, the egg was there. However there were signs that something was not right. The egg was "scaly on the top" but also uncooked, the pepperoni was black around the edges. It was difficult to cut into and when I put it in my mouth it was not hot.

And the taste, soooooo bitter! The base was completely black and burnt. It was like eating the bottom of a grill (I imagine!)

So I ate what I could, left the rest and paid. When I got outside and turned to take the picture the waiter was walking back to the bar with my uneaten meal, I saw him make some sort of gesture to the barman about my leftovers as if to say "Look at this"

I may be staying in Le Touquet quite often in the future. I will not be going to Le Matisse that's for sure

Reviewed November 9, 2013

As tourist 'traps' go, this one is more than OK. A delightful, well appointed and buzzy restaurant and as deliciously French as can be.

We decided to 'give it a try' as we ambled through the streets of Le Touquet having availed ourselves of some goodies in the wonderful food market.

The place was full and heaped in atmosphere. We had to wait for a preferred outside table so enjoyed a glass of champagne whilst doing so.

That's yet another joy of France, the ease by which a lunch time glass of bubbly fits into everyday life!

We had a wonderful table, great service, fun with the wait staff who all wanted to speak English whilst we wanted to practice our French. These a the small things that make a 'holiday weekend' so memorable.

We shared 3 bowls of mussel & frites between 5 of us. Two were cooked in white wine and one was ordered Provencale. They were simply delicious and utterly plentiful. Add to that a portion of Escargot (for our 7 year old grandson - the next generation of Foodie). Oh, and the Fries - wow.

Wine was easy to drink and inexpensive, coffees excellent.

Reminder to all that the 'conveniences' are, of course, uni-sex. A reminder to us somewhat more 'sedate' English when we take the little ones.

I'd go back to Le Touquet to eat there again. Highly recommended.