“Motel Hell...”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Kolding
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Motel Hell...”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Overall, it turned out OK. But, some SERIOUS issues abound.
First, there are two Gronningen streets in the Kolding area and if they just used the other street, you would find it. Instead, drove an additional 45 minutes due to bad information. We weren't the first to have this problem.
2nd, It is NOT a hotel! It is a MOTEL. Drive right up to your room!
Each room has a lovely balcony...overlooking the parking lot! It's more of a sidewalk with a door to the motel room.
3. Freakin' HOT! Yes, it is an unusual Danish summer this year, but seriously, have a fan available! it was scorching hot and the mosquitoes were coming in through the open window.
After all said and done, we found it OK for one night.
Plus...there is a FANTASTIC playground for kids behind the hotel.
Breakfast was ok.
bathrooms clean enough.
4. We had to change from the first room, since it stank like mold.
The management of this hotel will give you the 'Typical Danish Answer'...you're the first to ever complain. Danes...mediocrity at best!

Room Tip: Get one that doesn't smell! One that is off the parking lot where you can hear the bus go by.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 17, 2013

So, I´ve gotten pretty (and not with intent) famous for my review of a certain hotel in Paris. The manager ment that I was hars and intentionally lying about my experience. But why would I do that?

Anyway - this short trip to Kolding, DK, allowed me to stay at the Best Western Hotel, and my overall feeling is pretty good: the staff greeted and welcomed me with the most excellent service late at night, the room was decent considering the fair prcie I paid, the breakfast the day after wasn´t the best, but far from the worst - and, not least - they had free parking for my rentalcar right outside, litterally RIGHT OUTSIDE, the hotels main entrance.

I would say that the only drawback was that some guy, for some reason, washed the windows of my hotelrom (from the outside), pretty early, and this sort of woke me up, but Im a late sleeper anyway, so what harm did it do.

In sum, Im pleased with my stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Annenheim, Austria
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This property should be called a Motel and not a Hotel!
Specifically in these cold and windy days it is not exactly comforting to walk out in the open to your room. For the price I expected a better house....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Yes it looks like a motel and rooms are basic, but it is clean, parking is free and there is underfloor heating mmm. Also a good blackout with blinds and curtains. Very quiet as room faced quad with grass area. Meal was surprisingly good and beautifully presented with friendly service. My partner said his crme brule was one of best ever tasted. Breakfast was a good buffet and overall excellent value especially for Denmark.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2012

On arrival lady on reception was not very friendly.

Returned to hotel later (21:00) and no one at bar, had to ring bell. Someone came from the restaurant and served drinks. When it came to the second round we again had to ring the bell and receptionist appeared. Unfortunately she didn't have a clue on what drink was what, they had no tonic for a G&T (how can a so called 4 star hotel have no tonic?) and a choice of one malt whisky! Hopeless.

Rooms are OK, I had a large business room, my colleague a small standard room. Clean but with no style. Very small bathrooms. All rooms are ground floor in this motel type hotel, good for access from the car but makes for cold corridors in January.

Breakfast choice was adequate but small, no fruit.

At check out the receptionist (a different one to check in) had obviously not been trained properly and couldn't deal with the fact that my stay was prepaid through an agency and I was settling my own extras. A lot of time wasted and the reception manager didn't interrupt what appeared to be a private phone call to assist.

Could I recommend this place? No.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Woimble

Travelers are raving about these Kolding hotels

Copenhagen
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Taking my chance without a reservation the Best Western Kolding City was a nice stay. The hotel building is an old motel style building, but most room are located with the entrance old a long cooridor with a roof. The rooms are big and very light and clean.
The hotel is located very central in Kolding City, with only a couple of minutes walk to the main street. I will add this hotel to my preferred list.

• Stayed September 2011
Reviewed September 10, 2011

After midnight there wee no service... I had to look for the room keys... The room is ok. But no more. I liked the fact that my door room was near my car parking.

• Stayed September 2011