“Lovely Stay at Charming Hotel”
Review of Park Hotel

Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Frederikshavn
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night only en-route to the ferry the next morning. However, we could have stayed longer as we found the hotel charming.
The room was good, breakfast lovely and the staff very helpful.
We enjoyed an evening excursion in the sunshine to Skagen to see the oceans meet and that was well worth the trip too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cathy_Bob

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had no expectations and I love hotels with free WiFi. Check in was simple and efficient. I asked about Wifi and got code which was priced per day. Hmm … I think we had free WiFi, I said. The lady said I think so too but she couldn't find “free Wifi” in our booking. She said I talk to the owner, it’s free. I rejected to take the code and asked “talk to the owner first, please”. She insist, I took the code and it was free of charge when we checked out..

We were lucky, sun! We stayed long hours on the upper terrace in the beginning and later in the garden terrace. We spend many hours there. My room was OK and clean. That is old building so for example in my shower one morning I broke one component (it was very old), What should I do? Complain? No, I can use it anyway. After return back to the hotel I saw that it was fixed. Nice surprise.

Breakfast, almost no complaints from our party of five. British friends were not so happy with tea or/and milk. I never got it what was wrong. I drink coffee, a lot of coffee if is good. Every morning 4 small cups at that hotel.

The bar was great too but what a shame: Closing time 10 pm. Very intensive service on the upper terrace. I had say “no thank you, I’m fine” several times zipping slowly my beer.

Perfect parking for our motorbikes, free of charge.

I recommend the hotel for all who can go up 2 levels. No elevator.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Krzysztof F F
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My stay at the Park hotel was very nice, it was more of a bed and breakfast than a hotel however the attention to detail was excellent.

Breakfast was very nice and any request was happily dealt with.

Located in the centre of town very close to the main shopping areas.

Bedrooms were very nice however there are only a few TV channels and only one english channel however this was addressed by the owner who informed me that she was going to upgrade the system.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank william820
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Staying at this small boutique hotel made me think of the times when staying in a hotel was more like renting a room from a proprietor who watched over the guests as they enjoyed the premises and locale.

This place is a former grand home converted to the purpose of a rooming house which has evolved under the owner's 40-year tenure into a boutique hotel. While the rooms have obviously been renovated a few times (the bathroom of my suite was particularly elegant), nothing feels sterile or faux modern. Indeed, the touch of the proprietor, a cultured and stylish older woman, is evident everywhere: dark polished wood, candles in the stairwells, leather chairs in the lounge, exquisite linens in the dining room, and classic furniture and window coverings in my suite. Her attention to detail makes all the difference. Her experience as a restauranteur shows itself in the quality breakfast spread of cold cuts, cheeses, breads, cereals, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, coffee and tea. The dining room itself is magnificent, having recently been a fine dining restaurant.
Yes, the building is aging, and the facilities limited to the rooms, a lounge with adjoining terrace (which must be magnificent in summer), and the dining room, but the proprietor is paying attention. Indeed, she lives in a house at the rear of the property. Her desk clerks (on duty until 9 pm after which a guest must use the night entrance) are obviously well-chosen for their personable demeanour and language skills.

Because of its facilities and quirks, the Park should be considered as high-quality rooms rather than a modern boutique hotel. Noise traveled too easily down the hallways and between the next room and mine. The room keys are old-style mechanical and thus not really secure. Some guests took the liberty of smoking in their rooms or in the stairwell after the clerk had gone off duty. The smoke traveled too easily into my room. In general, a gentle modernization program is in order. On the bright side, the hot water radiator in each room provided a delightful dry heat. And I could open the windows to cool things down quickly at night.

The hotel is very well located just off the main pedestrian mall, a few blocks from the ferry terminals, and even closer to the train station. All the main restaurants in town are within an easy walk. For drivers, there is free parking in the walled courtyard behind the building.

Overall, this place has the basics plus character and style. If those trump modern efficiency and 24-hour convenience, you might like The Park.

Room Tip: Some rooms are two-room suites. Ask.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NW_Raven
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel two times in three years. Each time we enjoyed our stay. This hotel is small and family owned and operated. If you have any issues, need directions or just assistance with travel arrangements, the owner is usually at the front desk to assist you. The traditional Scandinavian Breakfast is served every morning. The rooms are small and quant but this is not a traditional hotel in the sense. This hotel was once a house. It was built by a sailor and he wanted a place to call home on land. This house was converted into a hotel so the rooms are small and there are only a few of them but if you want peace and quite in a perfect setting this is the place for you. It is more built for couples with no children as the rooms are so small. It is located with in walking distance from the Stena line ferry. If you want to bike around Frederikshavn they have some bikes on hand. We traveled all over Denmark during the day and returned each night and this was a perfect place to return to.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shirley_20101031
Reviewed September 25, 2010

having spent hundreds of nights in various hotels around the world, we always look for boutique hotels with a special atmosphere and a personal touch. This is exactly what we found at PARK Hotel, owned and run by the extremely sweet Lis. This is a small hotel with 30 rooms, in very varying sizes, but no matter how small the room may be, it is clean and the beds are good. We were welcomed by a very sweet receptionist, who happily assisted us in finding restaurant and entertainment. Much to our surprise, the hotel even has LAN (DKK 50/24 hours). Breakfast is served with a personal and very friendly touch, and offers a good selection of quality produce.
All in all, a very personal and caring approach lends us to heartily recommend the Park hotel, especially if you are an experienced traveller, fed up with the chain hotels' standardized approach.
It should be noted however, that there are stairs in the hotel, which could be troublesome to behindered travellers

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jdpdr
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Having Frederikshavn as our base, we visited Skagen, Aalborg and Hirtshals for our 3-days mini-holiday in the north part of Jutland. This was a very wise dicision, since all our destinations were within 30-40 mins drive from our hotel. Park Hotel turned out to be just what we were looking for: romantic, comfortable, classy and very good service. When we came back in the evening after our trips, we settled in the cognac bar with Irish Coffee and the one evening we had sun, we enjoyed a glass of rosewine on the terrace, while the sun was setting behind the art museum next door. The organic breakfast buffet was delicious and just what we needed to get started in the morning and our room was bright and clean with all modern comfort and still had that classic English style like the rest of the hotel. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Troja23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frederikshavn
Scandic The Reef
#7 of 16 in Frederikshavn
Aalbaek Gl Kro
Aalbaek Gl Kro
#1 of 1 in Albaek

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!