“Fresh fish, good-humouredness and company”
Review of Restaurant Snerlen - CLOSED

Restaurant Snerlen
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Here at Snerlen we believe that not having a set menu gives us the freedom to release our creativity in the kitchen with the ingredients that we have at hand. This way we are able to make the best of what we have and use it all so that nothing is wasted.Thus, each day we create a whole new menu based on the catch of the day from the local fishermen and the vegetables and herbs of the season. This will ensure that all of our ingredients are fresh and that our menus are outstanding and a surprise for your taste buds. It's what makes a visit to Restaurant Snerlen a very special experience for all of your senses.How many times you want to be surprised is up to you.Just lean back and let us amaze you.2 courses menu DKK 250,005 courses menu DKK 475,00Wine menu for 5 courses DKK 395,00Catch of the day DKK 1095,00 with wine(6 courses, wine plus coffee and cookies)A selection of Danish cheeses or dessert DKK 95,00
Stenløse
“Fresh fish, good-humouredness and company”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

In town to celebrate my parents' respecive birthdays, we were invited to this 9th story restaurant with a superb view over the sea as well as the town. Three years prior, we had dinner here when the place had a different name - and were not disappointed. Now it has been recast under the name of Snerlen (which is also a fish restaurant under the same owners at Strandby). In short: we were not disappointed. The setting is very elegant and discreet and the view is A1. We were started off with an 'apple champagne' from The Randers area approx 100 km south of Frederikshavn - a surprisingly refreshing and worthy apéritif. Once seated, we had an appetizer of a clam in its own shell, served with a citrussy beurre blanc - inticing and fresh! Then in a delightfully slow succession we had caviar, witch, skate with Norway lobster, weever and monkfish in creative arrangements - grilled, steamed, baked. I believe we had ordered the 'Dagens fangst' menu ('Today's catch') - and all the fish were indeed very fresh. All servings were generous and creative with the personal touch of chefs who care. The menu was rounded off with a creative dessert of cocolate ice cream with pear and small macarones as well as a rich caramel 'sauce'. The evening started and ended in the sofa arrangement in one corner of the restaurant. The service was competent, politely casual and friendly. A small deduction was that due to a busy evening attention was sometimes limited, resulting in periods with empty glasses and bread basket. This does not erase a memory of a perfect seafood evening in a friendly setting with a magnificent view - an evening here is highly recommendable.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Nils Holm Jørge... E

Vancouver, Canada
“Quality suitable for those with money and time”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

In search of a good plate of fish in town, I was directed to Snerlen. What I got was fabulous, no doubt, but little to do with seafood and more to do with refined tastes.

This is a fine dining restaurant high atop a silo on the industrial waterfront. The view is outstanding, especially on the landward side, but the not all tables are near a window. The room is modern, broken up nicely by half-walls and plants. There is a cloakroom outside the door and small bar in natural wood. The service is top notch. Everything felt classy but a little spartan, in that Scandinavian way.

On the night I visited, during the Christmas season, a set menu of 5 or 7 course was offered. Each course was superb -- well-presented and unique. Upon delivering it to the table the server gave a detailed description and was willing to chat about it. Unfortunately, this, and the 10 or 15-minute prep time for each course, meant that my dinner to 2 hours instead of the expected 1.

The courses included: scallops, pate and breads, seaweed salad, foie gras, duck, cheese plate, and desserts. Marvellous, but light on the seafood. (Indeed, after a week in the town looking for good seafood I gave up having been served only breaded Plaice and pickled herring.)

While Snerlen is no doubt good, I would only return if I had a lot of time, a guest to impress, and the money that Snerlen's kind of quality costs.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank NW_Raven
Odense, Denmark
“Many locals mean it to be the best fish place in town..”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

so maybe my expectations were excessive. I imagined finally getting to a place offering some kind of Brasserie food, or some kind of elaborated, unusual fish dishes. But not!
There are many fish restaurants on the east coast of Nord Jylland offering buffet menu, here you eat fish buffet for around 40 euros per person.
I got a bit tired of eating buffet, I can make better tasting fish cooking it at home, that´s it! This trend is, unfortunately for me and for those enjoying freshly, originally made fish dishes, having success in this region of Denmark, and so that´s what you get! Of course, you can say, you can eat plenty of fish, so if you are looking for the experience, the ambience, the quantity and the variety this, together with many other restaurants, is the right place to go!
The only dish I really enjoyed were oysters baked with herbs and parmesan cheese, I had a bunch of them, the rest of the available dishes were nothing exceptional. The wine list has a good selection, and the prices of a bottle of wine are quite ok for the danish standard. We chose a glass of white wine each, and it costed 75DK, around 10 euros (x glass..).
The service (to get the wine and the coffee) was slow but very polite.
The atmosphere is modern, they have a nice terrace with sightseeing at the sea, and big glass windows at the inside. The restaurant is developed on three floors. Being a kind of elegant restaurant I think they could take more care about for example keeping boxes with used bottles out of sight, and other details that would guarantee a more definite elegance to the dining room.
Some days of the week you get only buffet, other days you get a la carte´ menu (when we reserved I did not know that saturday evening was a buffet day!), check on the internet what the menu is.

• Visited July 2012