“Nice tidy hotel in a great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Comwell Sonderborg

Comwell Sonderborg
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Soenderborg
Vancouver
“Nice tidy hotel in a great location.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Travelled to Sonderborg for business in late May. I had stayed here about 10 years ago so I was interested to see how it held up. Arrived and check in was fast and courteous. Was given my room on the first floor which I thought was the floor that we were on at check in but it's actually two flights of stairs down. There's also an elevator you can use but I only had my laptop knapsack and carry on so I just walked the stairs. To my delight my room had a partial view of the water and the beach in front of the hotel.

It was unseasonably warm at the time so there were lots of people enjoying the beach and the small pier/dock. It was definitely a great time to be in Sonderborg.

The overall property and the rooms are all very tidy. No worries about cleanliness here. My room was relatively basic but a good size and I found the bed to be firm but comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with only a walk in shower which is fine for me. One thing to note is that Denmark in general seems to like body wash/shampoo as opposed to bar soap and individual shampoo. Just a note as I don't like using bodywash and was able to get some bar soap. Not a big deal just a note.

The accommodation also came with a continental breakfast in the morning which was good. Lots of different things to eat. I realized I used to love hard boiled eggs again since they provided them. Overall a very good continental style breakfast.

There is also a big outdoor patio off the dining room you can have drinks at. It is essentially above the area where my room was located overlooking the water/beach. Since the weather was so good we would have a nightcap there each night. And, at this time of year the sky is light until almost 10pm.

The WiFi was free or included but it did go out on our last day before we left. I think one of their handymen had an "accident" and it took out the router. We saw the repair tech come the next day so I'm sure it was resolved.

The hotel is within walking distance of quite a few restaurants. We went to an Italian place our first night and it was very good.

Overall a nice stay at the Comwell and I'm sure I'll be back.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the lower rooms facing the beach it's worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank warmhappyfeet
Anne B, Guest Relations Manager at Comwell Sonderborg, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you very much for taking you time to make a review of Comwell Sønderborg. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here, and that you would revisit us.

Anne Bergh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Overlooking the sound and harbour and near the town centre the hotel has a great position, if it is not the prettiest building in town! Service & breakfast all good, I had the luxury of a suite with excellent views, recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here.
We hope to see you again at Comwell Sønderborg.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Quiet location on the ocean with almost no traffic. Excellent views from the rooms. Close to downtown Sønderborg.

Good size room with austere furnishings and no frills - it was clean. Comfy bed with down comforters (very warm) and a very soft pillow. Narrow work desk with a single electrical outlet and a hard plastic chair. Only a couple of electrical outlets in the room and they are in unexpected places. Bathrooms have wall mounted soap dispensers. Towels of medium quality. The shower is of the water-saving kind, i.e. fairly low water pressure. Rooms have no air conditioning. WiFi requires a password from the front desk. The speed was OK, about 4 Mbps.

Breakfast was a good selection of bulk cereals, bulk yogurt, variety of breads, cheeses, cold cuts, jams, herring (it is Denmark after all), and some small assortment of fruit. Scrambled eggs were available in single serving cups. The breakfast space is well maintained and was diligently cleaned up as people left.

The very expensive bar is modern looking and was actually out of two of the three kinds of draft beer.

The pool is smallish but seems clean and well chlorinated.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view on the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DX-Traveler
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here. We hope to welcome you another time and hopefully, we will be able to offer you our full variety of draft beer.

Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The view of the Baltic Sea was just beautiful. The room was situated to be very private however, during my stay they were renovating the exterior. One day, I had a stomach virus and had to stay in all day. I had to keep my curtains closed the entire day because there was a male worker (I am female) directly outside my window. It was very disturbing to have my privacy so greatly invaded as well as have to listen to electric tools. The shower also needed a sever scrubbing. Also, the employees at the front desk lacked friendliness.

The hotel is however located within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and the waterfront.

Room Tip: Ask for waterfront.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Anne B, Direktør at Comwell Sonderborg, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am sorry for the inconvenience our renovation has caused you. We were changing the windows on the floor which you were staying. Regarding the comments on the front desk employees, I will take care of it.

Helle Miang
Kaunas, Lithuania
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I states 3 nights, paid around 860 kr. per night.
This hotel is nowhere near the 4* it claims to be. More likely a 2* by European standarts.

Staff was OK, though some of them very sour-faced.
The hotel itself looks run-down. No soap in the shower. Mold in shower. Unsanitary conditions. Carpets stained. No fridge nor kettle for tea making. And trust me, in the wet and windy danish winter a cup of tea is a must.
Breakfast was frugal.

If you can choose, I advice to try another place, maybe a family run B&B instead

Room Tip: Ask for top floor with sea or castle view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Mike P
Anne B, Gæsteansvarlig at Comwell Sonderborg, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Mike P

Thank you very much for your comments on your stay at Comwell Sønderborg. We have started renovating the bathrooms this week as it has been a recurring problem.
It is very important for us that our guests are enjoying their stay and feels free to contact the reception if they have any problems. Please help us to look further in to this matter and contact the hotel at hotel.sonderborg@comwell.dk with information of your stay (name and date).

Anne Bergh

Travelers are raving about these Soenderborg hotels

Milan, Italy
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I came back to this hotel after two years to appreciate its quiet position near the see again. Its location close to the the small port, the centre of town and University is very convenient. But I observed that it need restyling. Particularly the bathroom was not so clean and the furniture
in the room a bit worn out. Ample common spaces and good breakfast.

Room Tip: Select a room facing sea.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

-----Original Message-----

We stayed at the hotel the night of September 5,2013.

The reduced rate (low season) for the room was d.kr 1198.00 or approximately US$217.00.
We felt that for that price we would get a nice clean room with a double bed. However, the room that we got was by far the worst room that we have ever stayed in. Instead of a double bed, we had to do with 2 single beds. The internet connection was not working and 2 cables, I assume for the internet and for the cable TV, were laying on the floor and on the desk, unconnected (later we were told that the room had Wi-Fi and this was in working order). A used towel from a former guest was still in the closet.

The bath room was below any hotel standard with only one bath towel for 2 people, no hair shampoo, conditioner etc and a non working hairdryer. The worst was the MOLD (a health hazard as per American standards), dirt, yellow markings on the toilet seat, scraped off paint and other unsanitary items.

The hallways were filthy with numerous spots on the carpet, the elevator had scraped off paint inside and outside.

The clerk on duty offered us another room which we went to see. This room was in a similar sorry shape as the one we stayed in.

The next morning we spoke with Dorit P. Moller and requested a full refund. After some haggling she agreed to a 50% discount. We did not have time for further discussions as we were travelling on to Fyn and we accepted the discount.

I have been in the hotel business in San Francisco for over 35 years and I have never seen anything worse. Your hotel is a disgrace. I was born in Denmark, was employed with The Danish Tourist Office in New York and I have always promoted Denmark as clean and wonderful - well this is certainly not true when it comes to Comwell in Sonderborg.

I have written the hotel and their corporate office. To date I have not received an answer.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kent h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soenderborg
Scandic Soenderborg
#8 of 10 in Soenderborg
Det Gamle Apotek
Det Gamle Apotek
#1 of 58 in Soenderborg

Been to Comwell Sonderborg? Share your experiences!