“There is something missing ...”
Review of Hotel Randers

Hotel Randers
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Randers
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I don't really know what to think of this hotel, it's so very special, like walking into some kind of museum or time warp. I'm very interested in history and do appreciate old thing very much and therefore very happy that places like this are spared and not destroyed by unsensitive renovators. On the other hand I do long for a bit of luxury when I go on holiday and something was missing here. Unfortunately we didn't get one ot the historic rooms properbly due to the fact that we traveled as a family of four. Our room had been decorated in the 80s or early 90s and, at least the bathroom needed to be freschened up a bit to keep up to the 4-star standard. The corridors also seem a little shabby even though the lobby was charming with it old elevator, wall boards etc. And one strange ting: They seem to only use 25W bulbs for the lightning! I know I'm getting old and my night vision isn't that good anymore but I found it hard to find things in my suitcase even during the day, especially in the hall way.

The beds were good and we slept well (the room was against the back yard) and the breakfast was sufficient but not very interesting. Again I felt that something was missing - and it wasn't food! Do the staff really like the old feeling and appreciate this old hotel ...? Someone doesn't care enough I felt! Just as an exampel: in the breakfast room an amazing and very large bouquet of flowers were tucked into a corner instead of displayed as the beautiful piece of art it was. Nobody cared! This hotel needs a loving hand, and it needs it now if not to be destroyd by beeing included in a chain of some kind and diverted into mainstream. This hotel deserves something more, as it is now I think the room was a bit overpriced.

Room Tip: I think it's wise to try to get one of the historic rooms i possible.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great location
Staff were all so helpful, change my single bed room to a double without question
Comfortable room with all necessities
TV poor
Bed very comfy
If I was you stay here, here, here, here, here, here
You will have a good stay but it's up to you to make it a fun time

• Stayed: November 2012
HotelRanders, Front Office Manager at Hotel Randers, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you very much for the great review. We hope to see you another time at Hotel Randers. Kind regards Reception

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Old style and classic Hotel. Clean and quiet. Very pleasent staff good service. I had a single room in the style of a ships cabin, it was comfortably and all I needed. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We LOVE Hotel Randers...always stay there when visiting family in Denmark.

It is a wonderful hotel...a grand example of an old Danish "Provincial" hotel, which has been restored. It is situated right in the middle of town so you are within easy walking distance of just about anything.

I'm sure the hotel has different room configurations, but we have always gotten a very nice and large room with a wonderful bathroom. On the other hand, I'm not shy about letting my desires be known when making a room reservation. Room tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main street as it can get noisy...especially if you are on a lower floor and need to keep your windows open on a warm summer night. The Danes like to party until 5:00 AM...!!!

Restaurant and Bar: As I recall, we have never eaten at the hotel, but...the menu looks wonderful. Definitely "gourmet". Give the bar a try. It's down in the "cellar"...very intimate.

Breakfast: Breakfast is included in the price of the room, and is served in a restored "conference hall". We LOVE a good Danish breakfast...especially "rundstykker".

Parking: Yes, previous reviewers are right. It can get a little scary. Parking is VERY tight. I ALWAYS let the guy at the front desk handle our car...coming and going. No dings so far!!!

Getting to the hotel: If you're by car, this can get a little tricky, but...just follow the signs. You will...at least at one point, be driving down a "walking street", but don't worry. You are OK to do that.

Footnote: Hotel Randers is not a chain and/or airport hotel, which are a dime a dozen. Try it...we think you'll like it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ebrynnie
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel for three nights during our travel around Denmark. This stylish hotel will get its atmosphere. You go back to the 19th century. The hotel is situated in the heart of the city.
Breakfast was good, with a selection of cereals, cheese, sausage, fruit and vegetables (standard), served in the historic hall. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Our standard room was rather dark and small, standard furnished, the bathroom was old but quite clean.

The most adventurous in the hotel was parking in the garage. You, who have a big forget for parking in or try to be among the first. There is very narrow parking garage, you have to give the keys to the reception, and they have a guy that then will park the car for you.

Hotel I rated as good, on the whole net, for a short stay and nice enough.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xapple12
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This hotel from 1856 is a total gem full of authentic small-town charm mixing Art Deco with Danish mid-century details. The rich history - including fans among Danish royalty - is present throughout the hotel in an effortless way that makes for a delightful, unpretentious experience. The service was flawless and the adjoining restaurant, Mathiesen, was delightful. Kid-friendly and gourmet for the parents. Fantastic.

Room Tip: Family rooms are provided in spatious rooms. The hotel has package deals for tickets for Randers Reg...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Randers. I had stayed there as a child in the 50s and found it much as I remembered, so I think the restoration was well done. We had a large room with two single beds, a large bathroom, and plenty of sitting area between the two. It was the largest room we had in our 10-day stay in Denmark. The staff was helpful and the breakfast was good - nothing fancy, but typically Danish. I prefer small boutique hotels with character to the larger chains, and this is a great example of that type. The old elevator is charming and a fun experience. The location is great because almost everything is in walking distance. Everything in our room was in good shape and we had no problems. We used the free high speed internet in our room successfully. It is not wireless in the room. Randers is a beautiful old town and well-worth seeing. The train from Copenhagen is a great way to get there too.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family