“worst ever!”

Thon Hotel Brussels Airport
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Diegem
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Send the following to Thon Directors, local hotel and Thon customr services but nothing back at all. SHOCKING!!!!!!!!

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to you to ask for help regarding a booking at one of your hotels.

After making a booking at the Thon Hotel Brussels Airport I arrived yesterday. My booking details are attached.

The hotel room was of very poor standard and had mould and damp on the walls. Due to the poor hygiene of this room and health and safety issues I spoke with the hotel manager. They offered me another room that I moved to hoping it would be better.
Once at the new room I found it to be dirty and of very poor hygiene.

I spoke to my company and they were disgusted with the standards I had seen in the hotel. A taxi came to the Thon hotel and I left immediately without staying there.

Please see attached some photos of the room and how poor it was. The damp on the wall was very bad and the wall moved if you pushed it.

I would like to request a full refund of my booking as Expedia have informed me that the Thon Hotel Brussels Airport refuses to refund the amount I paid in advance.

This is a serious health problem having damp in a hotel room. I am very disappointed to have experienced this and will have to take further action if this refund is not processed. The staff also charged me EUR5.00 for the city tax without even
staying there!!!!!

I look forward to your response.

Regards
Mark

Room Tip: avoid this hotel it does not meet health and safety standards.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mark e
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for having posted your review on the website of TripAdvisor.

When you received a free early check in, unfortunately a human error was made by given you a bed room which should have been 'blocked' as it needed to be repainted. I'm happy to inform you that the room has been repainted and looks beautiful again.
1 1/2 hours later when you came down to the reception the receptionist on duty gave you directly an other room with renovated bath room.

I'm very sorry that an error was made, that you checked out an hour later from the other room and that we could not meet your expectations.

In the mean while Expedia should have fully refunded you and you already received the costs for city tax back on your card.

Once again, my apologies for the inconveniences.

I hope that we can welcome you back in one of our Thon Hotels.

There are newer reviews for Thon Hotel Brussels Airport

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I am a frequent user of hotels, and this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in for a while.Its located about 10 minutes fro the airport, in a small industrial estate, about a 15 minute walk to the train station. ! 1st impressions were ok, nice reception area, friendly staff. As soon as you step out of the lift the decor changes, very cheap looking. The rooms are very basic, the bathrooms are very tired. My shower was lying in the bath as there was no wall attachment, sink was so badly scratched, complimentary toiletries very poor quality. No English channels on the TV , not even a news channel. Breakfast was edible if you stuck to continental, cheeses and hams etc, the hot food looked awful so I didnt even try it however very good coffee and freshly squeezed orange juice. with so much choice in the area I would look elsewhere before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your opinion referring to your last stay.

The train station is reachable within a 10 minute walk from the hotel. You can also take the bus which is at only 3 minutes situated.

It's very nice to see you liked our friendly staff.

My apologies concerning the shower. We've noticed it the morning after and fixed it directly.
Our tv channels have been reprogrammed so you can enjoy English tv channels again.

Our buffet breakfast contains: Nespresso and Douwe Egberts coffee, freshly preshed orange juice, 3 sorts of fruit juice, smoothies, different sorts of tea, a wide selection of bread, scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages, boiled eggs, selection of cheese, salami, 2 sorts of ham, chicken, salmon, 4 sorts of salades, tomatoes, fruit salade, cornflakes, an assortiment of yoghurt and dried fruit.

I have informed the management concerning your points.

I hope we can welcome you back during your next visit!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had to spend the night there as our flight connection over Brussels need us to stay over night. Despite arriving a little bit earlier than check-in time, the reception was kind enough to let us into the room. They also provided us with kind directions to reach town (we used the train as it was the best way to see the other than central Brussels itself).
Hotel staff was nice and the connection options to town was adequate for an airport hotel. Considering the low price for an airport hotel in mid-europe, I'm very happy with my stay there, definitely a good value for the money, if you just intend to visit the downtown once and then catch your next flight on the next day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kulminaator
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Family,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on the website of Trip Advisor.

It's a pleasure reading your positive review!
I'm glad you were very happy staying in Thon Hotel Brussels Airport and that you liked our reception.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Have a pleasant day!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

5 minutes taxi drive from Brussels National airport, the Thon hotel is in the middle of a business district pretty much empty outside of business hours. Public Transport is an issue, need to walk up Bourget avenue to catch a bus to the center. Taxis in the morning or evening rush hours are difficult to find as the area is pretty much congested. Parking 15€ is outrageous. Some rooms have been renovated and are better than others (avoid 2nd floor). Good breakfast buffet. Very poor choice of beers at the bar (Leffe only), although service is very nice. Wifi from a public hotspot. Restaurant closed on sunday nights, for a better choice of restaurant try the nearby Accor hotels up the street (Pullman, Ibis). Other restaurants not by walking distance.

Room Tip: avoid 2nd floor, rooms not renovated (reception claimed they have asked for budget!)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jl5966
crmthon, Front Office Manager at Thon Hotel Brussels Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about our property.

I'm glad that you liked the service of the restaurant and our buffet breakfast!

To reach the center of Brussels you can take the train. The train station is at 10 minutes walking distance from the hotel.
You can also go by bus, the bus stop is at only 3 minutes walking distance.

A taxi can be reserved at the reception. It's best to reserve the taxi in advance as it can get quite busy in and outside the center of Brussels.

The parking costs are more or less the same in the other airport hotels.
'Park, Sleep & Fly' package includes 14 days free parking.

In the bar, we offer Leffe blonde and Stella Artois from the draft. From the bottle we have several beers available: Hoegaarden, Chimay, Duvel, Leffe Brune, Belle-vue, Carlsberg and Palm.

I hope we will have the honour to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is beside the airport, paid 16 euro to reach the hotel by a taxi. The hotel is 10 menits walking distance to the train station which arrive every 1 hr last one depart 20:30. The hotel it self is average , the room is small, I was not satisfied with the service, example the bathroom's shower was broken, bed covers was never replaced. Breakfast was great. On total the hotel is avrage

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you, for having taken the time to write a review on the TripAdvisor website.

How nice to read that you think our breafkast is great!

Thon Hotel Brussels Airport offers regular free transport to and from the airport from Monday to Friday, 6 AM until 11 PM upon request.
For our guests who booked the 'Park, Sleep & Fly' package, this is also included in weekends.

To come back from Brussels by train, you can take the latest train during the week at 23:22 hours and in weekends at 22:40 hours.

If there are technical issues, they can be reported to the reception and will be fixed as soon as possible.

I'm sorry that the sheets were not replaced. I will inform our housekeeping department so they can keep a closer look that the sheets are changed often.

Hope to see you again during your next visit to Belgium.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Having booked for 9 nights, I was somewhat surprised to find out that the restaurant and bar were closed from friday evening until monday evening. The options open to me, explained by the guy on the desk, were to either use the adjacent hotel or walk for 15 minutes into Diegem to get food. To add to this, the rooms are very basic, the hotel is well out of town and does not represent value for money. If you have the time, look elsewhere - I am sure you can do far better than this place. As an aside, on arrival and despite my bill being paid in advance, the receptionist took my credit card details in case I wished to watch " the adult discovery channel" - I can't remember the last time I was that insulted. This place does not deserve business and I will never stay here again. Hope this helps

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your opinion concerning your stay in Thon Hotel Brussels Airport.
The feed back we receive is very important to us in order to improve our quality and service.

Our restaurant is open for dinner from Monday to Thursday.
Unfortunately not in weekends, but there are several alternatives.
The nearest restaurant is at 2 minutes walk. In the town of Diegem you have nice restaurants also reachable within walking distance. If you prefer to stay in the room, you can ask the receptionist for brochures to order food in.

Our property is situated in the surroundings of the international airport. The heart of Brussels is easy reachable by train or bus.

Upon check in a credit card is requested as a guarantee for extra's you may use. For example, internet, telephone, pay tv (regular and adult movies), paid outs etc.
My sincere apologies that my colleague let you feel this way. I'm positive he did not mean this and was only joking around. I will let him know that this can be hurtful.

I hope you will reconsider your decision and look forward to seeing you again soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked this hotel for a brief overnight stay to catch a very early morning flight back to Canada. The overall appearance of the hotel seemed fine but that's were "fine" stopped. The hallways were shabby and in need of a coat of paint. The triple room we were given was absolutely the shabbiest, dingiest room we stayed in during our 2 week road trip through Holland and Belgium. When this was mentioned to the front staff all that was received was a shrug. We all agreed that we would never stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feed back.

I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy the room.
We take comments we receive at the reception and via websites very seriously.

I will inform the management about your points.