“Slimming stay”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Genk
Zielona Gora, Poland
“Slimming stay”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I bought Slimming stay package at Carbon Hotel and I must say it was great. I spent relaxing time in the sauna of wellness centre Carbon Sense. Also had a Power plate session. Carbon is a desing hotel so the room I stayed in was also designed - walls were black and white, the color changing lights were installed in the ceiling so you could choose each day what color you want (depending on your mood). Beds were comfortable. Staff was very friendly - Nikki from reception remembered my name the second time she saw me.
It was a very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 26, 2011

it's a good design hotel, but was a little bit too cold for me. There was no warm feeling in the hotel. The room was good, but all in black even the bathroom. There was a bad light in the bathroom. The room was a little bit dirty. The hotel is really not cheap and i expect something more. The breakfast was ok, but nothing more, and it cost 19 euro..

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We received a voucher as a wedding gift including access to the spa and a dinner.

The rooms are very design and have all the nice features but some of the details are not at the level you would expect.

The spa is very nice and clean and offers a great relaxing opportunity.

The restaurant is nice with decent quality of food and turns into more of a bar later in the evening.

Breakfast is as expected with a good choice but nothing special.

All in all a very trendy place on a good location with plenty of parking and nice design.

Room Tip: Carbon Style+ room is worth the extra cost but you should not be shy as the bathtub is in the middle...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Overall this was a good hotel. My partner picked it out and we went for our 2 year anniversary. It was our first time in Genk.

The Carbon Hotel is modern and a "design hotel" which means it does lack a bit in terms of practicality. The bathtub in the middle of the room for example is nice for relaxing in but it is surrounded by a concrete wall which comes down to about head level (yes I do have a bump on my head still!) Also, the bathroom light is automatic so it comes on when you go in, waking up your partner. If you try to close the bathroom door it scrapes along the floor (at least it does in room 414). Also, the area where you change clothes is in the main bedroom (the bathroom just has a toilet and shower, no mirrors etc) so you don't get privacy.

The room was clean and nicely furnished. The lighting system was rather complicated and they give you a paper (in Dutch) with instructions of how to work all the lights. The switches are impossible to find in the dark (but the step up into the bathroom isn't!).

The bed was comfortable. The shower is nice although there's nowhere to put shampoo, conditioner etc, just a tiny shelf for a bar of soap and nothing else. The circular thin toilet seat is really uncomfortable and you only get 2 medium towels and 2 tiny towels so if you want to wash your hair, ladies, you'll need to ask for another one. I did that and received 1 "clean towel" with dried blood stains on. Yuk!

The "free minibar" consists of 1 orange juice, 1 Coca Cola and 1 still water, but there is a refrigerator so bring your own drink if you want. You also get a robe and slippers. You can keep the slippers. When you pay they charge 5 euros "city tax" per day plus 11 euros for parking per day. The car park is underneath the hotel.

The restaurant is expensive but the dinner was very good overall until the end when the waiter forgot to bring my drink and it was hard to get service. Strange really since it was good until that point. Also, the forgotten drink was on the bill.

Breakfast was good. There was bacon and scrambled eggs, toast, croissants, sweet pastries, ham, cheese, 2 kinds of cereal, yogurt, orange juice, chocolate milk, tea, coffee and fruit salad, buffet style. It's 19 euros each which is a lot so you might prefer to eat breakfast somewhere else, but it's unlimited so if you like a hearty breakfast you'll like this.

We booked a couple's massage in the spa. My partner opted for the hot stone massage and I opted for an aromatherapy massage. When we arrived they hadn't heated up the stones so we had to wait for 20 minutes. The massage room was FREEZING cold and the girl who did my massage had cold hands. The oil was also cold so even though it was meant to be relaxing all I could think about was my goosebumps. They wouldn't turn up the heating. The massages were 85 euros per person for 55 minutes which is on the high side and we were both really cold at the end of it. So much for relaxation! The hallways are really cold too, as is the wine bar downstairs. The rooms have air conditioning or heating so you can control that, although the cleaner does like to leave the windows wide open so it's like getting back to a refrigerator, brrr.

There isn't anything to do in the immediate area apart from a few shops but we drove to the Maas-Mechelen to have a look around and also to Aachen.

I would recommend this hotel if you want something a bit different. I wouldn't recommend the massage because the room is so cold. We didn't use the sauna. There is no pool. I'd recommend eating in the Gusto restaurant at least one night because the food is good quality. But I think spending a few more cents heating the massage room and hallways wouldn't break the bank.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Victel
U.K.
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Overall a good choice. Arriving on a dark, wet and windy evening it wasn't easy to spot the parking entrance but I hit lucky and saw a space on the street right outside the building next door, it looked like some kind of bus lane but after checking with reception that it was ok to park there I left my car overnight on the street (it was free until 9am the next morning) so no car park charge.

Friendly and efficient check in, use the lift/elevatior on the left as you enter to reach the first floor check in if you have bags. I stayed on the second floor with a walk down the cavernous corridor to echos of my own footsteps. Room was tall, maybe 3 metres or more. The cleaner kindly left the window open to give me some fresh air, so the room was freezing when i arrived! Heating was slow to kick in but warmed up eventually. You have to leave the room card in by the entrance light switch to power the room. Quality of the room and decor was good, except for the odd looking retro chairs. bathroom was good, a bit dark at the sink area and no where to hang your bath towels post shower.

Dinner in the hotel was enjoyable, I didn't venture outside as the weather was horrible. I couldn't fault the food or drink or service. Plates and cutlery a bit odd though. My main course beef steak was served on something resembling an old school dinner plate.

The only negative thing I would say is the cost / quality of the breakfast. For 19 Euro it's over priced. Coffee was served from pots and the choice if just two cereals were not good for me. Is a 2,50 Euro service charge normal, i've never come across that before in Belgium?

I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Berlaar, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed at the Carbon Hotel from 26 to 27 November. We booked the 'Sleep & Dine' package that includes a 3 hour acces to Carbon Sense, Diner at Gusto and breakfast.

The layout of the room was a bit 'unorthodox', but that's exactly what you'd expect in a design hotel. We had a clean and fairly large room. The eyecatcher was the bath in the middle of the room, the rainshower and the LED-lighting (controlling these lights was a bit difficult).

Carbon Sense is the spa of the Carbon Hotel. It has foot-baths, 2 saunas, a Turkish bath and an experience shower. The staff was really kind and helpful.

The sleep & dine package also included a 3 course diner in Gusto, the restaurant of the Hotel. The food looks and tastes great. The service was fast and correct. The breakfast was also at Gusto but it was in the form of a buffet. There was plenty of choice of food and beverages.

If I ever need to stay in Genk overnight again, I will probably book a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ealing
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I booked this hotel on the 28th August for a stay on the 31st October - a full month after I booked it, they e-mailed me and told me that my room was cancelled as a party had taken the whole hotel for that period and that they had booked me another hotel "near the centre of town".
The hotel they booked was neither of a similar rating, nor was it near the centre of town - in fact it was 8km away and the days we were there were bank holidays and so our only travel options would have been expensive taxis.
We replied stating that this was not acceptable and that we wanted to speak to the manager - we did not even get the decency of a reply. I find this unprofessional and ill mannered. We eventually found another hotel ourselves in the centre of town so they obviously did not look very hard when trying to get us another room. Avoid at all costs

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 43Seconds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Genk
M Hotel - Different Hotels
Hotel Atlantis - Different Hotels
Hotel Stiemerheide
Hotel Stiemerheide
#4 of 11 in Genk
Hotel ECU - Different Hotels
Terhills Hotel - Different Hotels
Radisson Blu Hotel, Hasselt

Been to Carbon Hotel - Different Hotels? Share your experiences!