“Good, but beware” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Genk
Hawick, United Kingdom
“Good, but beware”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

We last stayed at this hotel in 1999 and was there for three months. We came back in August 2014 and the hotel is basically the same but with good and bad changes.
The staff are helpful and friendly but I have to say on check out when I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay I made a couple of comments regarding car parking costs and the price of the breakfast and the gentleman behind the desk took on an attitude of arrogance and more or less said it was take it or leave it?
|That said, the room we had was a refurbished one and very nice. Everything was new and had good facilities, wide TV, tea making facilities, good bed and free Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi was really slow and to get a decent speed use the reception area.
Breakfast at 16.5€ each is way over the top. Better going across the road to the shopping mall and getting a breakfast at a third of the price.
The restaurant was good, the service very good, quality of the food was good but once again it borders on being expensive.
The steak bar next door is also very good but at 35€ for a steak it is a bit overpriced.
Car parking is another bit of a rip off. The machine is not that clear on how to pay and several times I had to get the reception staff to help. They were complaining also about this machine. The car park is on hotel grounds but they claim it doesn't belong to them and so that is meant to justify a charge of 10€? Car parking used to be free but it's jus another stealth charge.
Other than that the hotel is a GREAT location with the lake just behind it and a lovely park.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DifferentHotels, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback! This feedback is very helpfull and we will discuss it with our team.

We hope to see you again at the M Hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed for 2 days in this hotel as a base from which we went for a walk in the National Park and to go to other cities nearby. The service at the reception was good, helpful and friendly. We booked a new renovated room (which are at a higher price) and the interior is not are taste (the wallpaper doesn't match with the other wall decorations) but the rooms are clean and big enough and the bathroom is nice!
We didn't go for the breakfast since this is really high priced for this place! Just our opinion of course (16,5 EUR per person) even in Brussels capital, the breakfasts are cheaper.
The hotel is very nicely located, next to the park and close to teh city and to the railway and the highways. Overall good stay.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room at the side of the park? We stayed at the side of the street and this is no nic...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evi V
DifferentHotels, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel 5 nights a week for almost 10 years. Ford Mondeo period.
Came back with my wife after a long time, she also was here before, and the hotel was renovated, wich is a good thing.
Room was nice, food was great but we missed 1 thing: where is Edwin?!
Overall it was a great stay, and good to be in a positively changed Genk!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RCGenk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Despite the somewhat negative reviews here, I had a very good stay. Price/quality I would say this was very good. Couple of pros:

Free high-speed, stable internet (important for me). Good service at the bar and front desk. The lady at the front desk (Nadia, I believe her name is) was quite helpful and very friendly. The service in the bar can indeed be slow at times but from their viewpoint, I can understand why they don't put a second guy in the main lobby bar. Half of the time nobody is there. So, I don't mind getting up and walking 15 steps to go ask for a beer. But ... that's me. Beer was served with a smile (and quite cold). No complaints there :)

Rooms are large and have all necessary comfort. Location is great; right next to the park with a nice lake. The hotel is also situated right in the city center, close to everything. The fact that Genk is a small city is not the hotel's fault but there are some alternative dinner options if you don't arrive too late. I did take breakfast in the hotel and I enjoyed that very much (good selection and fresh things to choose from).

Couple of cons:

Bathrooms are outdated and I'm not a fan of the show in the bathtub concept [with a curtain that constantly tries to hug you]. I also did see the carpets being dirty in places, so that is certainly an area with room for improvement. I'm actually also not a fan of carpets in hotels [overall] since even when they look clean, they are dirty regardless.

The beds have an average comfort (not bad, not great) and parking is also a bit limited but that didn't personally affect me. I can see this being an issue however.

Overall, I always look at what I'm getting for my money. In this case, I had a very good experience and I would certainly stay here again in the future. If anything changes down the road, I'll update my viewpoint.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a view of the park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RCGenk
Different H, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear,

Thanks for publishing your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay! We'll work on those couple of cons you point out. This way we can guarantee all of our guests a Different stay.

We hope to see you again soon at Different Hotels!

With Different Regards,
Brixham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

The carpets in the hallway in this hotel were absolutely filthy and heavily stained. Everywhere throughout the building looked tired and I think it must be time for a complete refurbishment. We ate in their bistro style restaurant, it was very expensive and I didn't enjoy the pasta meal I had at all. Staff had a couldn't care less attitude about them and I found their manner brusque. Would not stay here again and that's the first time I've ever put that in a review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Different H, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced in our restaurant. We would like to sincerely apologize for the trouble you had to go through.

The Different-team
E
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Hotel looks tired, lots of items broken or not working, cracked tiles etc. Service slow at bar as only one person on duty and doing two bars and it seems looking after restaurant. Did not eat in but some of our group thought food was not very good. Hotel air con was not good, all pervading smell of cigarette smoke everywhere, very stuffy rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Different H, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel.

Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced in our restaurant. We truly value such comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay.

The Different-team
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The lobby looks good at a first glance, but soon you notice some items, like a very ugly fish tank, that ruin the entire atmosphere.
There is no staff at front desk, we waited up to 20 minutes before someone showed up and acted like there was nothing going on.
When you call the hotel while waiting, you get a busy signal or a not-connected signal.
Only one of the 2 elevators works.
The rooms are clean, but poorly finnished. It looks very very very cheap.
The bathrooms were clean, but old (80ies?) and boring.
The minibar is a cupboard with non-chilled soft drinks.
There is a restaurant that serves a very expensive dinner, we didn't bother to give breakfast (16 EUR/person) a try.
The bed was ok, the pillows were good, and we did however manage to get a good night's sleep. But I won't be coming back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Different H, Guest Relations Manager at M Hotel - Different Hotels, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our our hotel.

We are so sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience at our front desk. We would like to sincerely apologize for the trouble you had to go through.

We truly value your comments about the room and the atmosphere as this gives us the opportunity to improve our offer. Once our hotels is fully refurbished we hope you will give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

With Different regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Genk
Carbon Hotel - Different Hotels
Hotel 't Hert
Hotel 't Hert
#6 of 11 in Genk
La Butte Aux Bois Hostellerie

Been to M Hotel - Different Hotels? Share your experiences!