“Alta is a quiet resort with a friendly owner and some nice staff”
Review of ALTA Cebu Resort

ALTA Cebu Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I stayed at the Alta Resort this March 2010 in a Deluxe room. The place is very, very quiet. I met the owner a nice American man who admits its his first time to run a resort. He is looking at doing some renovations sometime soon to brighten the place up. Firstly the mysterious ALTA who I admired in all the publicity photo's was not there. Hotel staff told me she stays in Manila! The reception staff are excellent in this resort. Quick to fix any problems and very friendly. Other resort staff are quiet and reserved. I had a tour organised while I was there and found it very informative and pleasant exploring the surrounding area. No real activities when i was there within the resort and very few guests. The pool was clean and nice ( thanks Larry ) There is no night club in this resort, it is long shut down. The bar is in need of renovation especially the old pool table. The petting zoo is only a few monkies and not much else. The gym was not airconditioned so sweating it out was the order of the day! The rooms are adequate and good value for the price. Airconditioning had to remain on constantly to cool the room in the hot Cebu climate. The bed was fine and the sheets clean. The bathroom was ok and the towels replaced daily. Taxi prices can be as low as 120 peso to SM Cebu City or as high as 300 peso depending on the driver and time of day. We felt safe in the resort but the surrounding area outside the resort is not so good after dark. The restaurant was clean and the free breakfast varied from average to good depending on the day. Waiter staff were friendly and quick to respond to requests for brewed coffee in the mornings. If you are after a quiet location and some alone time this place is ideal. The internet computers had only one mouse that a kind receptionist gave me but the one that was turned on worked fine. I am sure after some TLC Larry will bring it back to the way it looks in the online advertisements. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dabster36
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2010

1. Overall a pleasant stay

1. Overall a pleasant stay

I really do appreciate that this guest recommends Alta as a nice place to stay.

2. the owner a nice American man who admits its his first time to run a resort

This comment seems to give the impression that management lacks proper experience. This is not the case. Before I owned (with my wife) Alta Cebu Resort, I worked at various hotels in California for years. My staff and I have taken extensive, ongoing training (from a top Hotel training company) and have run the resort full-time for the past 3 years. We get many compliments for the professional way we run and maintain the resort. My wife and I, along with management, work long hours so our guests can enjoy great service and value. My wife won “businesswoman of the year” award for her part in making Alta Cebu Resort the popular and successful resort it is today. Working together we built Alta Cebu from an empty waterfront parcel of rocks and weeds into “the most beautiful garden resort in Cebu“ according to a local industry professional.

3. doing some renovations

The truth is there is no need for anything more than some cosmetic “renovations” since with buildings at Alta were all built within the past 1 to 3 years. In fact, Alta Cebu is one of the newest resorts in Cebu (many resorts in Cebu are 30 or 40 years old). Many guests are very complimentary at how nice the resort is. Due to the tropical climate, all resorts are required to do frequent maintenance. But saying Alta is in need of renovation makes it sound like the resort needs major work. The majority of the “brightening up” is nothing more than applying a fresh coat of paint. Though my staff are not perfectionists, I am. My mother was German, so I do my best to maintain the resort in the best condition possible within our budget.

4. Girl in photo no longer works here

The girl he is referring to in the photos is a former employee who offered to be pictured in some of the photo shoots for the resort. Other resorts also use models for advertising purposes; most models are not employees at those resorts either, so we did not feel there was any implication that guests can meet the people in the photos.

5. The reception staff are excellent but others were quiet

It is true that many Filipinos (especially if their English is not perfect) are a bit quiet (shy) but polite. That does not mean they are not proficient at their jobs. At Alta there are many staffs that are not shy and can answer questions from guests. Besides front desk staff, staff in the restaurant and bar, as well as managers, department heads, owners and the majority of the housekeepers all speak excellent English and are helpful, friendly, respectful, and courteous.

6. very few guests

He came on a slow week during off-season. Philippines is not as well promoted as some other tourist destinations, therefore all resorts in Cebu have less guests during the slow season. Our year round occupancy is actually better than many other resorts. We are fully booked at times and have many guests during peak season.

7. No real activities when i was there within the resort

I have read the same complaint about 5 star resorts. Actually, we offer more onsite activities and more free activities than many other Cebu resorts, even some which are more expensive. A partial list of free activities at Alta include: free net café, mini-zoo, Karaoke room. Free activities in Alta’s Sand Park include: Frisbee , volleyball, basketball, badminton, wall climb (with spotters and safety equipment). By the pool you can relax with sun-bathing/swimming/Jacuzzi, swing in one of our hammocks, billiards, ping pong, darts, board games. Ocean fun includes: Jet Ski, fishing, parasail, snorkeling/scuba (some of the best in the world), island hopping, beach tours and pole boating to nearby islands (departing from Alta’s dock). We even offer eco-tourist activities which no other resort offers (Alta staff can accompany guests on these local walking tours) such as: visiting/volunteering local orphanage or a stroll through local village (Filipinos villagers are very friendly). We offer a collection of books, magazines, DVD movies. Our staff of 40 are trained to suggest activities of interest, if asked by guests.
Some inexpensive activities include massage or pedicure, socializing at the poolside Jungle bar, air conditioned restaurant, or at the Alta marina/dock –many guests say it is easy to make new friends because “Alta feels like family”. Staff/owner can suggest ideas for the best local places to “check out” (shopping, horseback riding, tennis, golf, restaurants, etc.). Alta Tour Desk can help guests chose from a few dozen guided Alta Tours within Cebu City or around Cebu Island. At Alta, talented fashion jewelry designers teach jewelry making classes. Local teachers teach the basics of the local language to interested guests. Cooking classes from an award-winning chef are also available upon request.

Alta is the venue for a wide variety of events (usually free). Entertainment includes: locally popular (and occasionally nationally famous) live singers, bands and recording artists, beauty contests, fashion shows, local T.V. productions, talent shows, mariachi bands, variety shows honoring significant holiday folk events and local fiestas (with M.C. lead group party activities and games), ballroom dancing. Theme-based festivities: Christmas, New Year and Chinese new year parties and other holiday events (with visiting Santa Clause, fire breathers, native drummers, dance troupes, Chinese dancing dragons, etc.) and more…. If a guest thinks we ought to add an activity, they can suggest it and we will take it under serious consideration. If Guest inquiries about upcoming events are welcome.

8. There is no night club

Night club is open to guests when requested- normally to groups. Most people prefer to be by the pool at the jungle bar.

9. The bar is in need of renovation especially the old pool table

Not sure exactly what he means by “in need of renovation’. Both billiard table and the bar itself are about 2 years old. Alta standard room rates average 35% cheaper than other comparable resorts, yet our Jungle Bar is as nice or nicer as outdoor bars at many comparable resorts. The Jungle bar has a roof and 3 walls-open on poolside only. Billiards is free of charge. The table is perfectly flat with no loss of function. The fabric cover, pockets, billiard sticks, and all the balls are in good condition, though the fabric is somewhat faded due to exposure to late afternoon sun. We buy the expensive pool sticks. Billiard table gets heavy use; if we had to replace the table every 2 years, we’d have to charge for billiard games. Few guests expect like-new quality for free. As for the bar, the paint is somewhat faded. Paint fades quickly when exposed to tropical sun. Personally, I would not say “needs renovation” to describe a building which, at most, might be nearing the day that little paint would give it a brighter look. Everything he mentions costs money. If we were to aim for perfection, we would have to give up our value theme.

10. Only monkeys

We call it a mini-zoo. Most resorts, even expensive ones, have no mini-zoo. We also have hamsters, a large snake and a large 4 foot long lizard, chickens. Sometimes we have rabbits and mice. It was intended mostly for small kids, though adults seem to get a big kick out of it as well, and it is free. Suggestions for further development welcome.

11. Gym not air conditioned

Most guests do not use gym or use it at night when it is cool. Not all comparable resorts even have a gym. In order to run air conditioning, we would have to charge for the gym. Our experience is that guests complain and write negative reviews when we charge for things that they think should be free.

12. Airconditioning had to remain on constantly

On a hot day, that may be true, if guest wants very cold room. He doesn’t say that the AC was not powerful enough. We can also supply fans for those who like to be extremely well chilled. Or the guest can upgrade from our basic room to a premium room with more powerful AC.

13. area outside the resort not so good

Not sure what he means by “not so good”. If he means there are poor people living nearby, this is true of all neighborhoods surrounding all resorts in Cebu. Philippines is not like other poor Asian countries where they segregate resorts in zones away from the poor locals. If he is concerned about crime, it is a mistake to assume that poor people are more prone to crime. I have lived in Cebu for more than 10 years and feel safer here than I did in America. I observe that in the Philippines, it seems like the poor are less likely to be criminals (especially poor who live outside cities- as they do in our area). I find the neighbors in the village are curious and friendly. They are not criminals.

14. breakfast varied from average to good depending on the day.

One of our cooks graduated from a culinary school and won awards for his cooking.
Our department heads conduct daily training to attain industry-standard levels of consistency for this culture. A friend, with a PhD in hotel management, claims that first time visitors to the Philippines expect too much of Cebu resorts. He also told me that similar inconsistencies will happen at even the best resorts in Cebu unless they hire many western staff.

This is a nation of happy, fun-loving people with an artistic nature. Filipinos do not see the point of overly obsessive attention to detail- they think it takes the fun out of life. If we try to change the culture, we would diminish what is beautiful in this culture; it seems that our genuinely friendly and helpful staff is one of the primary reasons for the increasing popularity of the resort.

15. If you are after a quiet location and some alone time this place is ideal

The overall mood around the pool can be quiet or social, depending on the personalities and the number of guests that are here at the time. He came during a slow week during off season. We cannot guarantee that there will not be a lot of other guests at all times, since sometimes we are fully booked; but since it is a large resort (5 acres), if their wish is to be alone, it is rare that a guest cannot find some quiet places to go and relax.

16.The internet computers had only one mouse

I was not aware that teachers had removed the mice from three computers-our other company is an online language school. Since we were alerted to the problem by this guest, all 4 computers are now working mice.

17. not the way it looks in the online advertisements.

If you look at photos of any resort, they always show the best angle. Very few guests are disappointed with Alta; most say they wish they knew how nice it was at Alta so they would have booked their entire stay with us. On average, we get very few complaints. Any valid complaint is quickly remedied.

Reviewed March 3, 2010

I recently sent two weeks at the alta cebu resort and this should be a travelers first choice in cebu. It has all that you are looking for. A good resterant, well maintained grounds, good rooms with contant hot water, a great pool and best of all a staff that always has a smile and will do anything to make your stay pleasant. The owner is an american and there each day to make sure things are right and anwer any questions. Best of all is the rates which are very low for the level of service and accomadations.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dblaess
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Staff is outstanding in every way. A great place to stay iof you want to experience the Philippine environment. Rooms are adequate and clean. Showers could be a bit better. If you want to spend time in Cebu city it is out of the way but is offset by the value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danrilove
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Pros:
1.Quiet and Peaceful
2.Nice Rates
3.Friendliest Staff I have ever seen (Especially their supervisor named DEN2x)
4.Clean Rooms

Cons:
1.Food is just average
2. Pool not so big
3. Jacuzzi pool does not work
4. Not only was their internet working at a snails pace, alot of their computers were not working and some were not connected right, but thanks to a little bit of computer knowledge I had, i was able to get one of them working
5. Internet Place does not have any air conditioning
6. Near Slums area ( but its a clean one, long story but a different topic)
7. No view period (Unless you consider a brick wall to be a gorgeous view)
8. Far from other dining options
9. Creaking Beds

In short I only recommend this place if your looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city and get away from all the congestion

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bossmonkee
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2010

I am Larry, the owner of ALTA Cebu. We do really appreciate the enthusiastic positive tone and kindness of his compliments. This guest did say some very nice things about ALTA. The reason I am writing is that most of the information in his cons doesn’t seem justified or true. Some of his complaints were due to faulty assumptions on his part, or perhaps he is not aware of what to expect from resorts in Cebu. Of the complaints that have some validity, my comment is they are equally true for other resorts except the lacking of a gargantuan pool, which can only be found at the most expensive resorts. Unfortunately for him, he never complained so we were never given the opportunity to explain wrong assumption and non-problems or fix the one minor problem of which we were not aware. That one minor problem, the creaking bed, would have been quickly fixed by giving him a new room, had he just simply mentioned it to us at the time.

Cons:
1.Food is just average

I have read all the reviews for ALTA online and in our guest book and I make it a point to try and speak with each guest who comes to ALTA. From all my research, I find that this guest’s perspective about the taste of the food is not shared by many. In contrast, there are many reviews all across the internet that say that our food is good. There are quite a few good reviews about the food at ALTA. Since food is not one of the 5 areas which are rated by guests at trip advisor, you will need to read individual reviews to see that ALTA does have a good chef. To prove my point, I will point the reader to a couple of posted a reviews here at trip advisor that claim our food is consistently good. Review #2 by eeksharks and #11 by billywizzard.

Our waiters and waitresses normally ask guests how the food tastes. In the rare instance where a guest will say it is not to their liking, we will try to make it right. Most guests tell me that the food is good or very good and some even say it is exceptional. I’m not asking for blind trust. Please check other reviews, or better yet, try us for a day to see if you don’t agree with the majority opinion.

Based on what most guests tell us: (1. in person, 2. in our guest book reviews, 3. in online reviews, and 4. from people who compare our food to food at other resorts) the food at ALTA is good. Our main chef won awards and graduated from culinary school. Although I suppose it is possible for a chef at any resort to have an off day, our experience is that most people who have dined at ALTA’s restaurant disagree with this reviewer’s opinion.

2. Pool not so big
We have a rather large pool, though not the largest in Cebu, if you include 5 star resorts. At 60 x 30 feet ALTA’s pool is similar in size or larger than many other hotels and resorts here. If a guest really wants a very large pool, which are found mostly at 5 star resorts, they will need to pay more. 5 star resorts start at about triple the price of a standard room at ALTA.

3. Jacuzzi pool does not work

Our resort is barely 3 years old and the Jacuzzi is less than a year old. The Jacuzzi works fine. It is large enough for 12+ people. We turn it off when there are no guests who want to use it, since we are a ecology preserving/conservation based resort. This guest only had to ask for us to turn on the Jacuzzi.

We have a overqualified Canadian IT full time employee living onsite who took a big cut in pay to come work at ALTA. He tells me that all our computers work and internet works well. All this guest had to do was ask him to fix the computer.

ALTA’s internet service is provided by the largest internet provider in the Philippines. Internet service is not as fast or as reliable in the Philippines as it is in the west. This applies to all resorts unless they pay $1400 USD + per month to get fiber optics connections. I know of no 4 star resort which offers free internet (as does ALTA) and also pays $1400+ a month for a faster, more reliable connection. We do not charge for internet, as do some other more expensive resorts.

5. Internet Place does not have any air conditioning

We have a large split air conditioner prominently hung on the end wall of the internet room. Guest only had to turn it on. Besides environmental concerns/ global warming, electricity rates in the Philippines are some of the most expensive in the world, and the per kilowatt per hour charge goes up the more we use. If we waste electricy, we would need to raise room prices. Very few resorts that I know of leave A/C units running all day for empty rooms.

6. Near Slums area ( but its a clean one, long story but a different topic)
All resorts in Cebu are near slum ares.

7. No view period (Unless you consider a brick wall to be a gorgeous view)

All resorts have walls. We do have one of best view of night lights of Cebu city and also a very nice ocean view (which includes a number of nearby islands) from upstairs rooms and also from our boat dock. Many rooms have a lovely view of our extensive 5 acres of lush gardens, with over 200 varieties of colorful tropical plant life. Many of the plants are names with markers. For avid gardeners and botanists, ALTA has one of the greatest diversity of plants to be found.

8. Far from other dining options

There are a few nice restaurants nearby, including a couple of restaurants on the water with spectacular view of ocean and city (these two are within 1KM of ALTA). Most resorts are remote and far from other dining options.

9. Creaking Beds

I never heard of this complaint before. I think it must be an isolated problem (to his room). Why did he not complain at the time? We will investigate and fix the problem. Better if he would tell us when he is here so we can correct problems right away. If a guest complains, we move them immediately, whenever possible.

10. Though he says our rates are nice, he only awards us 3 stars for value.
In talking to guests, I find that quite a few guests who could afford 5 star resorts are happy to stay at ALTA. That makes me wonder why he rated us only average in value. I have done extensive research, visiting and eating at all the major resorts, comparing all the major resorts in Cebu for price, food and amenities. From my research I can say, without reservation, that ALTA offers by far the best value for the price in Cebu.

We get all types of guests and, judging from the reviews, most go away happy and many say they will come back.
The good thing about reviews is that they help us become even better. Whenever we see a less than complementary review, we have a meeting with the staff to see if it is true and, if so, how we can be even better.

We really encourage guests to ask a lot of questions rather than assume the negative whenever there is a problem, no matter how small. We have a lot to offer for the guests who are not too shy to ask.

Reviewed February 6, 2010

I detest big noisy cities. Unfortunately, my employment requires that I work in them, so when I take a vacation, I want to leave the unremitting skirmish lines of other people coming the opposite way, the noise, the pollution and the feeling of being crushed. What I enjoy most about ALTA is the sense of complete relaxation I enjoyed there. Most important are the grounds, which are gorgeously arrayed with tropical flowers, creating a true tropical paradise. The rooms are meticulously clean, spacious and comfortable. The room rates are most reasonable -- approximately equal to the rates for a slightly worn at the edges budget hotel in downtown Cebu. The staff are very friendly, efficient and accommodating, even for someone as impatient as I. The quality of the food at the restaurant is consistently good, the menu sufficiently varied that I took most of my meals there, beside the pool, during a stay of over two weeks. I ventured outside the secure compound to dine only occasionally, to visit some specialty restaurants on Mactan Island. . I don't normally visit the same locale on consecutive holidays. This time, I'm overdue for a vacation, ready for fun, good food and relaxation, to prepare me for the next round in the big city., .

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eeksharks
Reviewed February 6, 2010

This place is wonderful. If you're looking to experience real Cebu, while also having a pleasant stay-- then this is the place for you. The staff is very personable; in fact, the owner (originally from the US) spent a great deal of time giving me a tour and talking to me about the life in the Philipines and the area of Cordova (the village area surrounding the resort). The resort is placed right in the middle of a residential/ settlement area, providing a real taste of life for those who live here. For those who are interested in volunteering, there are many opportunities here, including the Children's Orphanage next door. In fact, ALTA is the perfect place to bring a mission team; it provides numerous team building challenges, such as climbing walls, to prepare a group to go out into the community and serve... which is much needed in a place like this.
Alta Cebu Resort is a clean, lush, and beautiful refuge in the heart of the village of Cordova, perfectly distanced from the smoggy city... just a $10- taxi ride away.
Tip: Do not stay in Cebu City. ALTA offers day tours that give you a MUCH better experience (mountain view, main attractions, and shopping) than staying in a blah hotel in the city.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank beehopperstacy
Reviewed February 5, 2010

We enjoyed our 4 day stay enormously. This was my first time to stay at ALTA Cebu Resort. It was truly an unexpected find!
This is such a unique place to stay. The staff are very friendly and always called us by our first name which made us feel like we were instant best friends with all the staff. I cant imagine a more friendly and helpful group of people. The best way I can think to describe ALTA is a mix between Bed and Breakfast and a Boutique resort.The atmosphere is so pleasant. Huge pool, amazing gardens. So laid back and comfortable by day and even more beautiful by night. Surrounded by hundreds of types of tropical plants accented by mood lighting throughout the grounds- this is truly a vacation to remember.It is hard to describe how beautiful it is here. The pool is really stunning-the centerpiece of the resort . Poolside setting complete with Jungle bar in background makes it a perfect place for a moon lit dinner. ALTA is a fun place and we always felt very "Welcome" throughout our entire stay

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonynjulie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Eloisa Royal Suites
#6 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!