“Pure relaxation in an 'non-touristy' resort close to wonderful beaches and diving” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ALTA Cebu Resort

ALTA Cebu Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was unsure when i arrived at Alta Cebu. I wondered if i had made the right choice, but after a few hours of being taken care of by the wonderfully helpful staff, sat by the pool with some food and a beer, i felt totally relaxed and at home.
The resort works on 2 levels. It has a pool, restaurant and 'wood cabins' and a lovely garden for wandering around; but also exists in collaboration with the local community as a kind of charity interested in aiding the local population to develop their surroundings and environment, as well as hosting events for local organisations. Larry, the owner, is a very amenable, chatty west coast American who is happy to explain anything you need to know about the resort, the local area or simply pass the time discussing politics or culture or whatever else you fancy.
In addition, there are members of staff to assist you in exploring the Philippines in general as well as the local area. Just going for walks in Cordova and Mactan you can see local life and culture without the plastic veneer of tourism; and with a beautiful beach and dive site close by, this is an excellent stop-off point for exploring all Cebu and the Philippines has to offer. I fully recommend the location, facilities, food, cleanliness and amenable staff.
I was interested in some of the work Alta Cebu does in the local area, and Larry obliged with some details below......

Here are some of the things we do too help out in the community.

Immediately after the typhoon Haiyan, the company purchased clothing and groceries; traveling by boat and car owners and some of the Alta Staff delivered relief donations directly to people in the affected areas. Our the owners and their family along with some of our staff also worked alongside other Unicief volunteers.. In areas where we were not able to get access, we gave our donated goods to the Philippine Navy and Air Force for distribution.

Some ongoing community projects
1. We do medical and dental missions, including medical/dental checkups and women’s health for the local village. We have a twice a week clinic which we offer free medical care to our staff.
2. We support the local orphanage through feeding programs, donation of school supplies
and bundles of joy during Christmas. We also encourage and facilitate guest visits to the orphanage- one guest actually adopted a family of 3 kids there.
3. Alta does coastal/river clean up in conjunction with the Department of Natural

Resources

4. We facilitated free hair cuts and dental care to the neighbors thru the efforts of Philippine Navy.
5. We assistance, with food donations, Priest Father Saldua's goal to fees a minimum of 7000 street kids per week.
6. We provide advice, training, materials and plants and assist in the planting of seedlings for urban and backyard vegetable gardens and trees.
7. In partnership with Department of Natural Resources, we share the advocacy of "Adopt a river" program by planting mangrove trees at the bay area.

Thanks for spreading the word

Hope to see you again someday.

Larry

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank DominiqueAdams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

The resort is conducive for live in trainings, conferences and team buildings where you intend participants not to leave the venue and wander around. It has ropes, pools and other amenities for team building activities. The conference rooms are sufficient and the rooms are very clean, spacious and homey.

Do not stay here if you have business meetings or need to go around the city

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
I appreciate the favorable comments from this satisfied guest. I would like to add one small correction.

My opinion, and that of most guests is that Cebu City is quite accessible, as we are the closest resort to Cebu City. If you prefer to stay where it is quiet and beautiful rather than noisy and smoggy, then the 30 to 45 minute drive to Cebu City is a fair trade off.

We had one guest who had all his teeth capped over a 9 day treatment. He said he did not mind the extra driving time, as the natural environment was a restful place to recuperate from the extensive day-long dental work. Also keep in mind, to get from one place to another in Cebu takes time. So the difference between a city hotel and a resort may only be 15 to 30 minutes, since most of the traffic is in Cebu City.

Alta Cebu is not only a popular venue for functions, but also a great place for a vacation. Because we are spread out over 5 acres with two pools there is plenty of room for both the occasional function and/or a restful vacation.
Kandahar, Afghanistan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

If you have never stayed on Mactan island before you may not be badly disappointed. However, if you have ever stayed at another property then everything will disappoint. It is not located on a beach...it's only view of water is a mangrove swamp. My room was like a motel room...old, cramped and with a noisy 1960's type window aircon that could barely keep the room at a decent temperature. A warning sign for me was in the first hour I didn't see a single Japanese or Korean tourist, and hardly a westerner. On Mactan Cebu, Japanese and Koreans are ubiquitous at any of the decent places. And what really wears one down are the small things: you order scrambled eggs (simple) and they bring eggs with tomatoes, onions and peppers? The front desk cashier in 4 days was unable ONCE to change a 1000 peso bill (US $22). I understand small shops sometimes cannot change these bills...but a cashier at a "resort hotel????" Breakfast service is very sparse...nothing like the lavish buffets on offer at beach hotels on Mactan. If you are looking for something basic, rustic and without a beach...at 4 star prices...this is your place.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the main reception/pool as possible. Some nights they have super loud...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank csundseth
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
I think this guest did not check his facts well. "everything will disappoint" seems quite extreme, when you look at the fact that we got Trip Advisor's Badge of Excellence two years in a row (last year being the second year).

Our prices range from $54 to $69 for our standard room. I checked 4 resorts on Mactan island; the prices ranged from $83 to $137 for comparable guest rooms at the resorts most similar to Alta Cebu in quality.

Id you want spectacular beaches, Mactan Island should not be on your list of places to visit; Most are small and manufactured. Alta does offer water frontage with a dock and rafting / island hopping. Alta also offers 5 acres of the "best gardens in Cebu" according to an industry professional.

The "mangrove swamp " is actually a protected sanctuary for wildlife and mangroves.

Our standard rooms are fine- on par with the much more expensive resorts he seems to prefer- all rooms were completely refurbished in the past 2 years. Superior and Deluxe rooms are more than fine.

All the A.C.'s are new or nearly new- and do a good job of cooling. The wall unit is only in the standard rooms. All other rooms have split (quiet) A.C. He was unwilling to pay the $7 additional to have a quiet A.C.

We do offer lavish buffets when we have an adequate number of guests. This year all resorts have much diminished occupancy due to the typhoon and the earthquake. I know of no resort which is busy and very few will make a buffet when occupancy falls below 10 rooms, which it does from tine to time this year for all resorts of our size.

I suggest you read other reviews. His opinion of our food, our staff, etc is diametrically opposed to that of most other guests. the people who like us really like us. Some come back 6 or more times and say Alta feels like home.

Lastly, we have 5 acres and 2 pools. All resorts in the Philippines have noise issues. We put the noisy parties at the pool distant from the rooms when we know they will run late.

I regret that this guest could find nothing charming about Alta Cebu. I understand that no resort can be all things to all people. I almost did not reply to this reviewer, as his views are so far from the normal that most readers would discount it anyway.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Love the garden view. Nice, quite place, close to Mactan airport. Staff are very courteous. The things I didn't like are the Mosquitos around the place, no booklet in the room as to what services they offer. And the mattresses must be musty or old because it made us itchy.

Room Tip: Take some insect repellant you can wear. Go early breakfast, otherwise not much variety left. If you...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gbmenta
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
We thank this guest for the many compliments.

I don’t think I ever heard a guest say our mattresses are musty. We have been fully booked for the past 2 weeks, so perhaps a previous guest spilled something on the mattress which went unnoticed by our cleaning staff. It is always a good idea to alert us to any problems in the room. Our staff is very attentive to “heads up” from guests on something they may have missed. About itching, it is possible they are allergic to something outside the rooms or, perhaps, outside the resort.

I am the western owner. I am very obsessive about garden hygiene. We immediately sweep or empty any puddles to minimize habitats conducive to mosquito breeding. We also have many critters (geckos, frogs, mosquito eating fish, birds, etc.) which do a great job of clearing the resort of unwanted pests. We do also have electronic mosquito traps at the resort. I don’t think there is any tropical resort which can guarantee zero mosquitoes. We do sell bug spray in our gift shop for those who forgot to bring it.

The information booklet that goes with the rooms is sometimes stolen. We are in the middle of upgrading the book, so some rooms may be without while we make those changes. We also give out an information pamphlet at the front desk which covers most of the information in the room booklet.

Normally there is plenty of food at our buffet breakfasts. But, with unlimited buffet, it is not possible to anticipate the appetites of so many guests. Left overs are usually given to staff or to those in need. If a guest comes late to breakfast and the variety thins a bit, we can always cook him something nice from our kitchen. I should also remind guests that our room rates are very reasonable and the buffet is free. Also, many things that other resorts charge for, we give for free (movies, games, sports facilities, etc.). The things we do charge for are cheaper than other resorts in our class. The tradeoff for good value is that a guest may not find mountains of food that can be found at a resort that costs four or five times more.
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I just finished a four day conference\gathering for port chaplains who minister the gospel and the Word of God to seafarers around the world - twenty countries represented. Alta took care of every detail! The place was so comfortable, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is filled with palm trees, swimming pool and rock pathways. Our food was exceptional, comfortable beds and showered with continual warm greetings by the many staff - "Good Morning Sir!" Thank you Alta! We will seek to return to paradise!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed there for 21 days and it went by too quickly, the resort is nice and quiet very peaceful and the staff very friendly and always happy to assist and help with service as well as any questions I had, I will definitely be back there again in the future. A nice place with locals going about there everyday activities on your doorstep.

• Stayed February 2014
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I came to alta to relax for a couple days to do some writing after a long trip. I was looking for a quiet place with a comfy bed and good wifi.
The good: I arrived really early, 730am, and my room was ready at 930am even though check in time is 2pm. They also found me a place to shower right away as well. The staff are really nice. The pool is good. The bed is comfy. The rooms are decent.
Not so good, not so bad: I emailed the resort beforehand specifically asking for a room with good wifi because I need to keep in touch with the office. But they gave me a room where the wifi didnt work. Though they did fix it after about 5 hours and moved me to a better room on my second night. My room on the first night shared a wall with a conference room. I woke up to them preparing the room at 730am. It was noisy all morning while I was trying to get some rest. I was not pleased but again, they did give me a better room the second night.

Things to know: it is on the flight path to mactan airport, and it can be a bit loud but it didnt bother me much. I wouldnt stay here if you wanna go to the beach. It isnt close by and you'll have to pay to get into another resort to use the beach. There isnt much to do during the day either. But if you want a quiet place to do nothing more than relax, provided you arent next to the conference rooms, it's a great place.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Matt F
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We thank this guest for his many kind comments about our staff and our resort.

We do offer beach shuttle to all the beaches, so there is actually more choice- some of the beaches cost .50 cents for all day . Also, Cebu is not known for it’s picturesque beaches, even 5 star resorts have postage stamp-sized beaches with levy to maintain the sand from drifting out to sea

I believe that we have more possibilities of things to do than than any other resort, except perhaps one or two of the 5 star resorts

For starters, with more than 5 acres of beautiful tropical jungle-like setting, Alta has been described as having “the best gardens in Cebu” by an industry professional. A short list of some of the activities available are: 2 large pools with pool sports, basketball, wall climb, ocean rafting from the dock at Alta bay, volleyball badminton darts, a small book library, 2 newspapers, magazines, a large gift shop , spa for massage, facial, pedicure etc, all types of board games, 500 movies of all types (free DVVD library) with DVD player in every room, a poolside bar, restaurant with international dishes, small zoo.

This gust requested a big room. Only one room is next to the conference room. It is our biggest room.

Very few guests say they are bothered by planes, as we are miles from the airport. There are several flight paths to Mactan airport, meaning that other resorts also are on the flight paths.

Thanks again for takin the time to write about us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Be Resorts - Mactan
Be Resorts - Mactan
#15 of 30 in Lapu Lapu
Bluewater Maribago Beach Resort

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!