I was unsure when i arrived at Alta Cebu. I wondered if i had made the right choice, but after a few hours of being taken care of by the wonderfully helpful staff, sat by the pool with some food and a beer, i felt totally relaxed and at home.
The resort works on 2 levels. It has a pool, restaurant and 'wood cabins' and a lovely garden for wandering around; but also exists in collaboration with the local community as a kind of charity interested in aiding the local population to develop their surroundings and environment, as well as hosting events for local organisations. Larry, the owner, is a very amenable, chatty west coast American who is happy to explain anything you need to know about the resort, the local area or simply pass the time discussing politics or culture or whatever else you fancy.
In addition, there are members of staff to assist you in exploring the Philippines in general as well as the local area. Just going for walks in Cordova and Mactan you can see local life and culture without the plastic veneer of tourism; and with a beautiful beach and dive site close by, this is an excellent stop-off point for exploring all Cebu and the Philippines has to offer. I fully recommend the location, facilities, food, cleanliness and amenable staff.
I was interested in some of the work Alta Cebu does in the local area, and Larry obliged with some details below......
Here are some of the things we do too help out in the community.
Immediately after the typhoon Haiyan, the company purchased clothing and groceries; traveling by boat and car owners and some of the Alta Staff delivered relief donations directly to people in the affected areas. Our the owners and their family along with some of our staff also worked alongside other Unicief volunteers.. In areas where we were not able to get access, we gave our donated goods to the Philippine Navy and Air Force for distribution.
Some ongoing community projects
1. We do medical and dental missions, including medical/dental checkups and women’s health for the local village. We have a twice a week clinic which we offer free medical care to our staff.
2. We support the local orphanage through feeding programs, donation of school supplies
and bundles of joy during Christmas. We also encourage and facilitate guest visits to the orphanage- one guest actually adopted a family of 3 kids there.
3. Alta does coastal/river clean up in conjunction with the Department of Natural
4. We facilitated free hair cuts and dental care to the neighbors thru the efforts of Philippine Navy.
5. We assistance, with food donations, Priest Father Saldua's goal to fees a minimum of 7000 street kids per week.
6. We provide advice, training, materials and plants and assist in the planting of seedlings for urban and backyard vegetable gardens and trees.
7. In partnership with Department of Natural Resources, we share the advocacy of "Adopt a river" program by planting mangrove trees at the bay area.
Thanks for spreading the word
Hope to see you again someday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ambiance at Alta Cebu Resort is truly unique - with the feel of a tropical rain forest, modern cozy facilities, genuine service. With 50 rooms, it has the feel of a casual, intimate estate in a tropical paradise. Alta is a place where guests can meet liked-minded travelers from around the world; this includes families on vacation, couples seeking a romantic hideaway and those who want to experience a new culture. Alta also offers sustainable tourism or volunteer programs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld and Travelocity so you can book your ALTA Cebu Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alta Cebu Hotel Cordova
- Alta Hotel Cebu
- ALTA Cebu Resort Cebu Island/Cordova