“Peaceful retreat, good food, friendly staff.”
Review of ALTA Cebu Resort

ALTA Cebu Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Cordova
Reviewed April 7, 2011

About a 25 minute courtesy shuttle ride from the Cebu airport you will find a little jungle retreat. All the cottages are set in a lush tropical setting. Rooms comfortable and air conditioned. Great pool. Staff very friendly and helpful. English language skills are improving, keep your requests clear and short. Welcomed personally by the owner, an American who is working with the local community to provide an eco friendly and community-supporting resort. No beach but shuttle to beach available twice daily.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KEP98

Reviewed March 29, 2011

This is not a 5 star resort, but it is a great value. The rooms are comfortable, very nice pool, the grounds are well maintained, and the food in the restaurant is delicious. Also, there is FREE entertainment, almost every night, and a karoke bar where the local girls love to sing. Not a place for singles. Great for couples. It is a place to relax, not to party. I was there to meet a local girl who I had found on the internet, and I was surprised at how many other couples were in the same situation, so we had a lot to talk about with each other. I think that the real draw of Alta is in the owner and the staff. Because it is a small resort, all of the staff is like a family, and I was quickly welcomed into it and they were very concerned that my stay there was going to be a good experience. Always smiling and saying hello to me. Larry, the owner, can be found at all hours of the day mingling with the guests and listening to their stories and, if any, complaints, with genuine concern. He even visited me when I had to stay in the hospital for a few days.
MY ADVICE IS TO STAY AT ALTA.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank justbilll
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Alta is the worst place ever. its hard to get a Taxi because taxi drivers get robbed going out there. we spent over a half hour for a taxi. The food isnt that great. Also we were warned not to leave the resort in the dark because its not safe. we were gona stay 13 days there and only spent 2 and still had to pay for our whole 13 days. staff is not friendly. The guys kept hitting on my 14yr old daughter she didnt feel safe there thats why we left. If your looking for a night mare go there. The place isnt what you excpect by seeing it on the internet. Be careful about your choice here. This is just a fair warning. Also the swimming pool while we were there was very dirty

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wildmatt
CebuLarry, Owner at ALTA Cebu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

I personally greet every guest and always suggest they immediately come to me with problems my staff cannot accommodate-I am nearly always available to talk to guests. Unfortunately, this guest never approached us with a complaint nor did he come to me discuss my very flexible refund policy. When I found he checked out early I tried to call him, but the number given was disconnected.

Most guests feel I am more than reasonable. Though our refund policy is on par with other resorts, I often give partial or full refund for extenuating circumstances or failure to meet promised expectations; some examples include: credit for un-stayed days (we have many returning guests), free meals, upgraded rooms, half day extensions past check out time, discounts for returning guest or for extending guests or even free room nights to guest’s families for long staying guests.

In the 8 years that we have been in business, no guest has ever claimed our staff is flirtatious nor mentioned taxi drivers being robbed on their way to Alta. There were many guests that week, including teenagers. Clearly no hotel or resort can be responsible unreported misbehavior between guests. We are, nonetheless, saddened that his daughter felt uncomfortable. Sadly, some taxi drivers are offered bribes by other hotels to steal guests. Unlike other second world countries, such as Thailand, all resorts on Mactan Island are located in poor areas. His comments about neighborhood and taxi safety would pertain to all resorts in Mactan Island.

One recent guest told me that our pool is remarkably clean. The cleanest he has seen of any resort he has been to throughout the Philippines.

Our food is on par with other resorts in our class and our room rates are cheaper than comparable resorts.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I go married at Alta Cebu Resort . It was amazing . We got married in front of the pool . With a priest and guests .. The wedding organizer did everything for us and was so detailed . We did not need to leave the resort for they did every thing Make up Flowers music tables and space All I had to do was buy the rings and my wife a wedding dress and shoes We got to pick a hall as they have a few . they set it up so NICE The food was great the cake was huge the servers all so good . The price was fair much less than I thought .
The owner took this place and and turned it around you will notice he is upgrading this resort .More than a room and a lobby Who wants that . ROOM SERVICE ????Yuck.

If you are looking for an exotic wedding, this is the place Some people may say they have nothing . Well maybe you did not walk... this place is BIG if you walk beyond the pool they have so much more even Computer rooms with internet access.
The rooms are great they have cable...if your board with cable ask for a DVD player and pick a movie as they have many.
The staff is so polite and the food is good and the prices are fair . The owner will take the time to talk the people that stay at the resort.. he is so very nice .
I stayed there for 2 weeks wish it was longer .
I will return to Alta Cebu Resort.

2  Thank vince44u
Reviewed March 9, 2011

On my travel in the taxi to Alta Cebu Resort I thought I was in for the vacation from you know where. But, to my pleasant surprise my Resort stay for the service and price was much more than I could have hoped for in a third world country. The employees provided Western service of the highest quality. I would highly recommend the resort for any type of vacation or business travel. My sincere thanks to all the staff for making my stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

I had an extra night to myself on my last business trip to Philippines. I chose to say at ALTA by looking at the website and it definitely met my expectations and exceeded them. If you are looking for aver clean place to relax by the pool - this is it! The staff were fantastic, the management very accommodating and the place very nice.

During my 'tour' of the facilities I also realized that this place is an awesome location to have private and corporate retreats. I hope to return and do exactly that next time I am back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank akucharski
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I stayed at Alta Cebu in Cordova from February 22nd-March 1st with my new Fiancee. From the time we arrived, we were greeted by friendly staff with a welcome and refreshing drink. The staff was very helpful with the ongoing activities, times of their free breakfast, and also were greatly helpful with the surrounding sites. We were assisted by their staff to our room which was conveniently located near the pool/resteraunt area. When we arrived in the room, we were amazed by the detail and beauty. Wood floors, with Exotic Murals on the walls of the Tropics. After observing the rest of the room, I noticed the bathroom was very spacious, the shower water pressure was awesome, and the ammenities were awesome. Towels were clean, New, and were replenished daily. We had a standard room at around 2400 pesos per night, around 55 US, and it was definitely worth it.

The food and choice selections at the resteraunt were amazing. Chef Chrisanto is definitely a fine dining chef, and could easily work anywhere in the world. Every day a special breakfast was offered, along with American and Filipino choices. Evening choices were always different, which included off of the menu, and special dinners, like Barbecues and Soup dishes. I was very pleased with the food, but the service by far exceeds anywhere else I stayed at in my 19 days in Cebu. Although, the trip to the hotel is a little far from Lapu Lapu, it is definitely worth the stay. Make sure to get metered taxi's otherwise they will charge double the charge. Request Metered Taxi's, and negotiate if need be. Most Taxi's will negotiate.

The grounds of Alta Cebu are amazing, 5 acres of beauty, carefully designed and managed by Larry, the Owner and his wife Ann. Very kind and approachable people. The pool is amazing as well, the videoke machine was fun, and the Jungle Bar was very comfortable. My stay at Alta Cebu was definitely one that I will remember. I wish I would of booked my entire stay at Alta Cebu. I will definitely be back. Thank You Joy for your assistance in booking my stay, Larry for your kindness and assistance, and the waitstaff, including the housekeepers, You were all AMAZING..GOD BLESS YOU, See you soon. Also, You must take advantage of the in room massage, Only 500 pesos, excellent therapists.

2  Thank JSanc58374
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cordova
Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
#15 of 32 in Lapu Lapu
Movenpick Hotel Mactan Island Cebu
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan
Waterfront Airport Hotel and Casino

Been to ALTA Cebu Resort? Share your experiences!