“Sunday carvery”

Ranked #2 of 3 Sulby B&B and Inns
Isle of Man
“Sunday carvery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I enjoyed the sunday carvery. There was a good selection of vegetables including spicy roast potatoes and ratatouille amoung the normal offerings. The chef rushed off to find me some salmon (as I don't eat meat) and was very helpful and gracious. Husband enjoyed the carnivourous choices.

The atmosphere in the bar was warm and friendly with some great TT art on the walls and cosy seating. The Sulby Glen is a Free house and we enjoyed a guest beer (from the new Dog House micro brewery) to accompany our meal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I always go here for a meal when I come to the Isle of Man and it never disappoints. If you are over for TT it would be the ideal place to be as it is right on the TT course and there is also a fabulous view of Snaefel on a clear day.

There is always a good choice of meals and they also do smaller meals for people with smaller appetites. They also have a specials board which I picked chicken tikka curry, which came with rice and chips, a popadom and naan bread. I love a good curry and this was a good curry, plenty of chicken and very good flavour. Very nice meal. Other members of the party had gammon steak and bacon, eggs and chips and they were all very well presented and were delicious.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alison P
Morecambe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I visited the Sulby Glen Hotel in June this year and found the atmosphere excellent, the beer good and reasonably priced and also excellent food at the right price, I don't have a big appetite so the smaller portions they do are well suited to me. It's an ideal spot to watch they TT and MGP racing from which I will be doing again this august. Rosie (the Landlady) celebrated her 25th year at the Hotel in June so she must be doing something right.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

After a long struggle in 2011 to get accomodation I was relieved when I managed to book this hotel, it seemed ideal...
The heating was never on although it was the worst weather for many years , so it took 3 days for my gear to dry out, the room was always cold. It was very clean though a little tired but thats no problem. Intermitent WiFi. Residents having to wait for seats at breakfast due to passing trade.... It can be noisy but thats to be expected during TT week, again no problem. What was a problem was the landladies attitude, I witnessed people being hassled cause they were eating sandwiches that were not bought at the hotel and was embarassed into contributing to the charity bucket, even though 5 of them had been buying beer for the best part of the day! A man was told in front of the whole hotel bar in no uncertain terms, he shouldnt complain about his food not arriving as it upset the waitress so much she was in tears! He had already spent an hour waiting and the waitress had said she couldnt find his order it must have been taken by the landlord! She never had a smile or hello for anyone other than her 'friends'.
If it wasnt for the 'craq' in the evenings it would have been very disappointing.
I can understand that it is very hard work to cater for everyone and to smile when really you want to cry but that is your career choice when you run a Hotel and it isn't a cheap Hotel at £100 per night B&B. Will I stay there again....No. But I will have a drink there as the place has something about it, but I am not sure what! P.S. The waitresses and bar staff where in general excellent and I think they deserve a medal working for the landlady from hell.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Beach100
Oxfordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

A clean and efficiently run small hotel and pub in a picturesque part of north-west Isle of Man. Our room, a twin, looked on to rolling countryside. Room attractively presented, ample storage, beds exceptionally soft, en suite spacious and clean though toilet quite noisy with its built-in automatic waste-reducing system (or something!). TV small with a Freeview "Digibox" - reception quite good. Rosie and Eddie most obliging hosts. Breakfasts excellent. First day we took on the challenge of a full Manx. We won (just) but had to skip lunch! Evening meals available in bar - nicely cooked and again plentiful. Handy quaint shop/PO opposite hotel for morning papers, etc.
All-in-all a most pleasant establishment offering affordable comfort, good company and good fare. We would happily return and recommend. [But why O why are the car ferry fares so exorbitant to this beautiful island?]

Room Tip: Front-facing rooms offer delightful views over the island's rolling hills
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Burt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

We stayed her for 5 nights as we were visiting the Island for a wedding. Our rooms was warm and comfortable, clean and refreshed on a daily basis. The hospitality we received on arrival and throughout our visit was second-to-none. Rosie and Eddie are great hosts. The breakfasts in the morning were fantastic and a great selection on the menu. On our last night we arranged a meal for 14 and there were asolutely no complaints. Everything went well and we then moved into the bar area where we sat and had a good nights craic. My only complaint would be that as our flight was not until 6 in the evening we had arranged a late check-out but at 12.00 noon, the housekeeper arrived to change the bed linen despite us telling her that we had arranged to leave about 2 or 3. She was so insistent that we just packed up and left. Apart from this minor hick-up, our stay at the Sulby Glen was great and I would recommend it highly

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the bar area of the hotel - its much quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed one night here in 2010 while cycling around the island. The hospitality was first class, as was the food, drink and rooms. I am looking forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulby
Ramsey Park Hotel
#5 of 12 in Ramsey
Ellan Vannin Hotel
Ellan Vannin Hotel
#1 of 27 in Douglas

Been to The Sulby Glen Hotel? Share your experiences!