“A Terrible Experience- ANTS EVERYWHERE”
Review of Timber Inn

Timber Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Parson
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This was the first romantic vacation my boyfriend and I decided to take and it was ruined by an unfriendly hosts who clearly did not want to run an Inn. The host seems to pick and choose which guests will be treated nicely and which ones won't.
Their brochures and website is also false as no services/amenities are available except an excellent view of the mountains.We drove in from Alberta and planned to stay two nights but were very mislead by the website about what we were coming into.
We had approval for early check in but were not greated friendly simply because we showed up sooner then expected. Apparently, they don't communicate any changes to staff or check up on daily activity themselves.
The hot tub isn't working at all but we didn't bother dwelling on this since we still wanted to have a good weekend. Don't bother bringing your bathing suit as it seems like they have no intentions of fixing their hot tub. When inquired about biking, an amenity stated on their website, we were quickly shot down as apparently biking is not an option anymore. This should all be removed from their brochures and website. There are no amenities available at this location and when the brochure states laundry service, they really mean laundry available but you have to do it yourself and on your own time. We noticed many falsities about the brochure and websites as compared to what is actually available.
Don't make the mistake of leaving out crumbs in the cabin because there are boaring ants in the wood. Our cabin must have been sitting overtop of a nest because when we came back from a day trip, there were hundreds of ants all over the table, chairs and floor. A clear line of where they were coming from. When I approached the host and asked for some help or even ant traps, he was so mad at me, he actually raised his voice and then stormed off. He even had the nerve to send his daughter to my cabin to deliver the ant traps. The only thing he did say was that I am to expect ants with a cabin. I have owned a cabin for many years and never had this problem. And I must say that I did not drive 5 hours and pay $185 per night to deal with an ant problem!
The food is ok but far too overpriced as I have lived in Germany and had many authentic meals and there is nothing spectacular about this one. A man in the cabin next over told us how the host got mad at him for not taking a meal plan. Don't expect the hosts to explain anything to you and make sure to be treated as an inconvience if you ask about any amenities or services!
The best part about the whole weekend was when we weren't at the Inn. The only good part at the Inn was their helpful daughter and family dog Flora. The funny part is, Flora was more concerned about us and friendlier to us then the actual people. When we went for a walk around the property, she walked with us and showed us the way back to our cabin. She even checked up on us daily! Leave it to a dog to make us feel more welcome!!!!
I would never recommend this place to anyone and I never plan on staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KristinaCalgary

Reviewed January 27, 2008

The Timber in felt homey from the minute we stepped in the door, and the cozy room we had only emphasized this feeling. The owners, a German couple, were hospitable and friendly. The great breakfast spread and unbelievable homecooked dinners (made of organinc ingredients) that were included in the the price were an added bonus. It is only 30 minutes away from Kicking Horse and set right in the mountains. This is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the mountains.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Carolyn R
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We stayed at the Timber Inn twice this year - once to check out the area and later taking a group of motorcyclists along for the experience. The hosts were very accommodating and a joy to visit with. The food was a treat from the ordinary. Much time and effort has been put into this quaint Inn which over-looks the Columbia River - we enjoyed the sound of the train and didn't find it offensive. Traveling to us is an adventure and we find something memorable in all of our travels. It was a joy to stay at the Timber Inn - a unique Inn with personality!

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank rivertree
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We really loved the Timber Inn. We stayed in the Honeymoon chalet for 3 nights and thought it was very good value compared to similar properties nearer to Banff/Lake Louise. The room was beautiful with nice decorative touches, a lovely bathroom and huge 'air bath' (not really a jacuzzi) in the the bedroom. The balcony was a great place to sit in the evening with a cold beer (from the in-room fridge) and watch the sunset and the humming birds.

We took advantage of the 'meal deal' and dinner was delicious, although I did think this was overpriced. Breakfast, as others have said, was disappointing.

We thought Golden itself was a lovely, sleepy town, and the drive from there to the Timber Inn in the evening sunshine was absolutely stunning!.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Revelstone
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My family of 4, aged 16 through 25 enjoyed our one night stay at the Timber Inn very much. Our hosts were gracious and wonderful cooks as well. The Sunday Barbeque is an understatement. The array of fresh produce and the quantity of delicious food was surprising. We thought this was the best "barbeque" we had ever been to and I have hosted many myself! Clean, comfortable rooms in our chalet overlooking the green fields and the mountains beyond in the Columbia River Wetlands. The only drawback was a lack of views from the rooms in the chalet we stayed in, where there is so much potential! And even though there was no air conditioning nor even a fan, we were able to sleep well by flinging open the windows which were screened of course! It is quite a scenic, peaceful and a lovely place to rest along the way on a long driving trip on which we were traveling. I would recommend this place for its quiet,out of the way location and for its wonderful meals...as well as for its accommodations. It was perfect for what we were looking for.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sjkSeattle_WA
Reviewed August 19, 2007

The objective portion of the reviews on this location are spot on accurate.

Our room was fine. There is no A/C as previous review states. We were lucky with the temperatures. The layout is a little clumsy. Room between bed and wall (coupled with a sloping roof) and room to open the bathroom door made movement difficult. We had plenty of hot water.

The hospitality was fine. We didn't observe any hostility. On the other hand, we weren't really greeted warmly either. You could say that we felt like a transaction, more than like a guest.

Breakfast and Dinner - We did not eat breakfast based on the earlier review. We did have the dinner and it felt like a great homecooked meal. You will need to ask yourself this question when considering any meal at this establishment, "Am I willing to pay a little more to avoid a 30 km drive to Golden for a cheaper meal?"

Probably the biggest disappointment with the dinner is we felt we were offered drinks as part of the dinner, when in fact we were charged for the drinks. If I had to do it over, I would have gone into town.

Location - This place is fine for a one night stay while getting between locations, but I would not recommend staying here for multiple nights. It's too far for a good home base. Also keep in mind that BC has a provincal tax where Alberta does not.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank NittanyHusky
Reviewed July 13, 2007

We stayed at the Timber Inn in Parson, BC,for one night and what a disappointment! We will never stay here again nor recommend this established to family or friends. Upon checking in, the hostess/owner pointed me upstairs to our accomodations, and left us to fend for ourselves. We stumbled up a steep flight of stairs with our 2 young kids and all of our luggage, soon to find out that the accomodations had no air conditioning (it never said anything about no a/c on their website) and we only had 2 small, noisy fans ... it was 34 degrees celsius outside!! To make matters worse, the windows had been kept closed all day so it literally felt like we walked into a heat wave. The establishment has no TV or phones in the individual rooms (something that's not mentiioned on their website). To top things off, as we showered to get ready for bed, we found out that the bathtub wasn't draining properly... yuk! Later that night, I went downstairs looking for an ice box or a vending machine with cold beverages. The hostess, scrapped off the last bit of ice for me (less then half a cup) and told me that their ice machine had broken so this was all she had and no vending machines were on the premises. To make matters worse, the next morning we woke up with no power or water ... there was a power outage which, apparently, is quite common for this area in BC. Overall, I would say that this has been one of the worst experiences we have ever encountered on a holiday ... travellers be ware!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank smiles67

Been to Timber Inn? Share your experiences!