“Family motel with welcoming family values”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alta Vista Motel

Alta Vista Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in McKerrow
Espanola, Canada
“Family motel with welcoming family values”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Plenty of hot water, clean and comfortable. All amenities. Dog friendly. Rose gardens, new plantings, green grass. After a few days on the road, and traveling from England and the US, I felt that I had landed in Paradise. Gauri and Man are kind hosts!

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Iroquois Falls
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had cause to stay at this Motel traveling home to North Eastern Ontario. We chose this location as it is very close proximity to amenities, including the Town of Espanola, Tim Hortons, an Esso Gas Station as well as the Cheechimon Ferry Traveling from Manitoulain Island to Tobermory (where my sister was traveling). Though the Ferry is 1.5 hrs from the Motel it was a convenient central location as I was headed back north on the 144 from Sudbury.

We were greeted upon arrival with a group of `bros` hanging out drinking beer outside the room beside us. This was more then inappropriate...what if we had children...of course I know this has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel!

We entered our room...typical older roadside motel fare...Enter individual rooms from the outside....though there was a hallway to access room on the back side as well. The room was equipped with a mini fridge, a microwave, a couple chairs but no table and 2 double beds. The bed linens were old and thin and the bedspreads were 15 years old easy. The bathroom had a newer tub surround, but the tub could use some enamel. The sink and counter top were adequate, stocked with soap and shampoo for the shower. The beds were comfortable....or we were really tired, or a combination of both! Hot water was not an issue neither at night nor in the morning. No check out per say but a drop box was provided for the keys.

Aesthetic changes that would not be very expensive could really help this tired old Highway Motel. I am a business owner in Northern Ontario and I certainly appreciate it is a hard go sometimes. I also realize you need to invest in your business for a better return. I feel for what we received this place is VERY overpriced. I have stayed at other similar style Motels throughout the Province (and the rest of the world) but have to say at 100 +- a night for a room there should be so much more! New carpeting, some insulation in between the rooms to cut down on sound transfers (this is a must here folks, I could have joined in with my neighbors conversations....and when they showered in the morning the sound made by the pipes was more then enough to wake you up!), and an in room coffee maker would have been nice!

Overall the place is adequate. It is clean, comfortable, and conveniently located and not to mention safe. However given the price vs quality of amenities available in room i would say this place is not worth the price we paid. I will not stay here again in the near future and will try one of the numerous other highway Motels all along Highway 17 between Narin Center and Bruce Mines!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 7 in the front....highway noise did not bother us!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chillin_61

Travelers are raving about these McKerrow hotels

Stratford, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had made reservations to this motel approximately 2 weeks before the date of arrival, as every room in Espanola was booked. After arriving to the motel at the end of an 8-hour motorcycle trip through poor weather, we were relieved to arrive safely at our destination. When we were checking in, the motel manager let us know that he had given away our reserved room and had made a reservation for us at another motel approximately 20 minutes down the road in the complete opposite way we were traveling. After we expressed our disappointment, the motel manager and his wife spoke to each other in a language we could not understand and didn't seem to care. Very disappointing to us as we thought reservations meant you had a room waiting for you at the end of a grueling trip. The office was messy and disorganized and we were happy to give our money to a different accommodation. Be careful booking here as you may not have a room when you arrive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah G
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Place is very quiet people are very friendly rooms are clean lots of room rates are very economical. Overall town is present .we would love to visit again am glad to stay here as utilities and amenities are near by

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank parv a
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was on bus travell from Brampton to Sue Saint M and best convinent place i found to stay was Alta Vista Motel. I usually look for clean and comforting place and i'm glad i stayed here. I felt secure, nice host and very convient place. All the things i wanted was there, Resturant, Tim Horton and Gas station. I don't mind staying here again.

Room Tip: I felt rooms at the back of the building is much quiter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank liz t
Also consider these accommodations in or near McKerrow
Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 2 in Killarney
The Hawberry Motel
The Hawberry Motel
#5 of 7 in Little Current

Been to Alta Vista Motel? Share your experiences!