All reviews donuts provide beach chairs and towels rooms are spacious block island short walk to the beach great salt pond the past years down to earth feel right at home back porch continental breakfast is we loved our stay excellent location two nights within walking distance place to stay close to town
Reviewed September 9, 2018 via mobile

My first thoughts were, “this is the cutest B&B I’ve seen in a very long time!” Little did I know, it was going to be one of the best Inns I’ve ever stayed at. From the minute we arrived to the very last minute while waiting for our cab, everyone there made our time on block island something that my friends and I will never forget. This is our 4th year going but our first time staying overnight and rest assured, I will continue to choose Payne’s Harbor every year!! Allie and Kevin were so accommodating upon our arrival with last minute arrangements and also gave us a lot of information about the island that we didn’t alteady know about! Everyone is extremely friendly and attentive to all needs. The Inn is in a great location close to food, beaches, activities and bars. BUT let’s not forget to mention.... Payne’s donuts! hmmm.

I could go on and on, but moral of the story is Payne’s Harbor Inn made Block Island even better than it is! Thank you Payne’s! See you next year (:

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

We loved our stay. The facilities are excellent and new. The views are magnificent and within walking distance of a quiet and peaceful beach. The ocean breezes cool even on the hottest day. And as I sit on the back deck to write this review, all I think about is how special Allie made us feel. She guided our stay and made us feel right at home. Thanks also to Carmen who made sure all was ready for us when we arrived after hours. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Carmenjpc, Owner at Payne's Harbor View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Thank you for the great review. Allie raved about you both. It was truly our pleasure having you. Please come back soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2018

This cozy inn has a great location, sitting on a hill overlooking Payne’s Harbor. The back porch is a delightful spot to sip your morning coffee and enjoy the views...the breakfast and specialty donuts make it even better! It is walking distance to the old town, and also to restaurants, delis, board & bike rentals, the town beach, and a famous drinking/eating spot called The Oar. And they give you beach chairs and towels to take to the beach. The inn was build around 2005, but it was designed to look like a nineteenth century inn with its large porches, and tastefully decorated rooms filled with antique furniture pieces. It’s clean and comfortable, and the staff is very helpful and welcoming. About the air conditioning, we had a 3rd floor room with a portable air conditioning unit. We didn’t turn it on for the three nights we were there...the open window facing the harbor was enough cool air for us ( we were lucky to have moderate temps for our August visit).

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Carmenjpc, Owner at Payne's Harbor View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you were able to take advantage of our central location and enjoy all that Block Island has to offer. Please visit us again soon. It was our pleasure having you!

Reviewed August 26, 2018

This was our 4th year staying in Payne’s but about our 30th year on Block Island. Payne’s is clean with good size rooms, run by lovely people, quiet, and a good location outside of the noisy downtown. It’s within walking distance of the beach maybe 10 minutes, and about 15 minute walk to downtown. We stay in room 3 every year which has a balcony and our friends stay in room 10 on the 3rd floor with a balcony. Many of the other guests we see every year are repeat customers too so that says something about the place.

Most of the rooms in Payne’s and all of the B&B’s on Block Island do not have ac. The majority of the time it is not needed. In fact it’s usually a little chilly at night in the summer on the Block. This year happened to be an exception and it was the first time in over 30 years that we were a little hot sleeping!

If your main concern in having ac as it was for a previous reviewer, don’t stay on Block Island and certainly don’t give a 1* to Payne’s because of the ac. Carmen (the owner) is very responsive to any issues and if she was told the towels weren’t good she would have given you others. As far as the rug showing wear. I don’t think that reviewer realized that she is in a beach community with SAND. Everyday people are coming and going with sand all over them. The rugs are clean and not that worn imo. And certainly not worth a 1*.

We have stayed in 4 other B&B’s and a house during the past 30 years. One inn we stayed for over 20 years until it changed owners and another for about 7 years until shady things were being done (see my other reviews on both). Payne’s is by far the best B&B for location, cleanliness, room size, and owner responsiveness.

The only con I can say is maybe the breakfast because it’s only continental (listed on their site though) but so are most of the other Inns. This year they added a little egg dish some days and that was much appreciated.

Don’t think twice about staying here. It’s a lovely place and since we have a standing reservation every year for the 4th of a July, you won’t kick us out of our room :).

Room Tip: Room 10 is the largest with balcony and fridge overlooking the pond.. Rooms 3 & 4 have a nice balcony overlooking pond.
Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 23kme

It's wonderful to have such loyal customers! Thank you for taking the time to write. We enjoy our guests and do truly try to make our Inn your home-away-from-home. See you in July!

Reviewed August 23, 2018

My first impression was "Oh this place is quaint." But I soon realized it needs a total makeover. The rug going up the stairs, the 2nd floor hallway, and the rug in my room all need to be replaced. Long overdue. Bathroom outdated but clean. Need new towels as mine were as they were a bit worn and the pile shredded.
I picked Paynes since they had a bathroom in the room. What I didn't think about was that there is no central air anywhere in the place. Fortunately my room had a portable box on the floor which was the air conditioning unit which was vented out the front window. The lowest temp it would run at was 74 degrees F. The celing fan helped. Some of my friends in the other 2nd floor bedrooms did not have an air conditioning box at all. Not good when you are going there for a wedding.....
The donuts were amazing and my only favorite part of staying there.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. 90% of the Island is not air conditioned, but we did see to put portable AC units in the rooms that do not get the ocean breeze. It has been an unusually hot summer. Another guest shared their concern with your unit that did not appear to be running properly, and we replaced it with a spare one from our storage. We DO try to meet all of our guests needs immediately. Our carpets are cleaned professionally prior to every season, and our linens are replaced almost monthly. I will certainly have my staff double check everything that is going into the rooms.