All reviews fire pit front porch great lunch rooms are small block island lobster roll chowder front desk staff calamari charming hotel corner room luggage room the wait staff great view of the harbor flights of stairs no air conditioning noise from the street
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

The hotel was great! Free breakfast, ocean views, and classic decor. Best of all, the front desk service was great. I took a spill on my moped and the two girls at the front desk, Charlie and Amanda, bandaged me up (my bloody ankle) and were wonderful to chat with. Book your stay at the National and you will not be dissappointed!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank noah f
Reviewed August 16, 2018 via mobile

Clean hotel with polite staff. If you stay here you are in walking distance to the local hot spots. Walk off the ferry and you are steps away. There is a nice fire pit area. In my opinion it the pit area is shut down too early. We were enjoying drinks by the fire and a staffer came and shut it down with about 20 of us there. Nice view from either the porch deck , bar or your room. There is a BIG difference if you stay in town as opposed to off the beaten path. A bit noisy at night but not too bad. We would stay here again as we have many times.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2018

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review. We try to strike a balance with the closing of the firepits. As much as we would love to keep them open later, many guests feel that it gets too noisy after 11 pm. We definitely look forward to seeing you again at the hotel!

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to dinner with my cousin and her husband. We were seated right away on the outside deck. I ordered the scallops and my husband had the pasta with lobster in cream sauce. We had the calamari as an appetizer. My cousin had the stuffed shrimp special and her husband ordered a hamburger. All the food was very good. My cousin and I ordered the lava cake for dessert and it was out if this world. You wont want to pass on that!!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank irishblueeyes21
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

Thank you! We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner!

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here and the setting was fabulous. Beautiful views of the ocean and the ferry docking. Had the lobster roll and at $27 I was expecting something mega. I was utterly disappointed at the size of it. There was 4 bites in it and there was barely any lobster in it. It didn't even taste very nice! Had a cup of the chowder and that was delicious!
Do something about the lobster roll and I'll be back!!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family

I am sorry to see this - we have worked very hard to serve the best lobster roll, including upgrading the lobster meat this summer so it is all claw, tail and knuckle meat. I will not make any excuses but will share this with the chef. I truly believe that something went wrong in the preparation and service of your meal. We just need to watch every dish go out of the kitchen to ensure it meets the standards we strive for. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

I love the National. It’s right on the Old Harbor, it’s got great food and the outside in the back is a nice place to chill. You sit in an aiderondack chair with gas fire pit tables and serve drinks.

The hotel, However, was built in 1902. The rooms are small and there is no air conditioner. There are ceiling fans in it it but it just didn’t pull in the cooler outside air. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and the water pressure was good. Weknew what we were geetting ourselves into staying at The National. We enjoyed our view of the Old Harbor and sounds from the street. We love the history, the decor and the service was great.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurajyg62
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Welcome back! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope that it is not 15 years before you return again!