All reviews fire pit front porch great lunch rooms are small block island lobster roll chowder front desk staff calamari charming hotel corner room luggage room the wait staff great view of the harbor flights of stairs no air conditioning noise from the street
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to dinner with my cousin and her husband. We were seated right away on the outside deck. I ordered the scallops and my husband had the pasta with lobster in cream sauce. We had the calamari as an appetizer. My cousin had the stuffed shrimp special and her husband ordered a hamburger. All the food was very good. My cousin and I ordered the lava cake for dessert and it was out if this world. You wont want to pass on that!!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank irishblueeyes21
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

Thank you! We are so glad you enjoyed your dinner!

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here and the setting was fabulous. Beautiful views of the ocean and the ferry docking. Had the lobster roll and at $27 I was expecting something mega. I was utterly disappointed at the size of it. There was 4 bites in it and there was barely any lobster in it. It didn't even taste very nice! Had a cup of the chowder and that was delicious!
Do something about the lobster roll and I'll be back!!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family

I am sorry to see this - we have worked very hard to serve the best lobster roll, including upgrading the lobster meat this summer so it is all claw, tail and knuckle meat. I will not make any excuses but will share this with the chef. I truly believe that something went wrong in the preparation and service of your meal. We just need to watch every dish go out of the kitchen to ensure it meets the standards we strive for. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

I love the National. It’s right on the Old Harbor, it’s got great food and the outside in the back is a nice place to chill. You sit in an aiderondack chair with gas fire pit tables and serve drinks.

The hotel, However, was built in 1902. The rooms are small and there is no air conditioner. There are ceiling fans in it it but it just didn’t pull in the cooler outside air. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was big enough and the water pressure was good. Weknew what we were geetting ourselves into staying at The National. We enjoyed our view of the Old Harbor and sounds from the street. We love the history, the decor and the service was great.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laurajyg62
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Welcome back! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope that it is not 15 years before you return again!

Reviewed July 19, 2018

We followed the reviews and stayed at the National Hotel for our overnight to Block Island. It could not been more convenient being, just a very short walk from the ferry. The hotel is a very historic building but well kept up. The staff was friendly and efficient.

Stayed: July 2018
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2018

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Reviewed July 7, 2018

Even though it is a touristy spot, I stopped for lunch hoping I wouldn't end up disappointed. So glad we stopped. We had lunch on the patio, what a great view, and the service was spot on. My hand craft cocktail was the perfect blend of flavors and made fresh not something poured out of a mix. My Buratta Salad had the perfect blend of flavor and fresh ingredients, and the Bacon, Caramelized onion Grilled cheese was a delicious choice as well. We went back on our way to the ferry and sat at the outdoor bar for a departing drink and the bartender was friendly and quick as well.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
NationalJulie, General Manager at National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Thank you! It is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience - that is certainly what we strive for! Hope you will visit again